Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Understanding Hitec Aurora 9 Updating, SmartScan and linking

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Understanding Hitec Aurora 9 Updating, SmartScan and linking

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Wayne Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding Hitec Aurora 9 Updating, SmartScan and linking

Hi,

In order for me to understand things, I usually rewrite the factory procedures as I perform the steps to keep it easy for me to understand.

I've just put together a document explaining the Software, Firmware updates, SmartScan, and the linking procedures for the Hitec Aurora 9. The document is attached in PDF if you would like to take a look.

I have tried to explain things in straight forward english for easy understanding. I hope these procedures will help others to take the "magic" out of these procedures.

If you see any errors, clarification, or any changes you would like to see made, please let me know - any help is greatly appreciated. I'd like to thank Michel for his assistance.

Please feel free to make comments. A side benefit will be to keep the thread "bumped" and at the top so all will have a chance to take a look.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rp42681.pdf (46.2 KB, 205 views)
Old 07-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Wayne Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Understanding Hitec Aurora 9 Updating, SmartScan and linking

Hi,

I just fixed a typo and uploaded the new file. If anyone else sees anything they would like changed, please let me know.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wayne Miller: I use the Aurora 9 module in my Futaba 9CAPs with 5 9 channel receivers. I updated 4 of these but 1 would not update. It was purchased last winter with the module and another receiver. One of the four I updated. This Receiver functions well in a plane no problems. I think I'll send it back and have it repaired or replaced. My Question is why doesn't HiTec use the scan mode to fly add why only 20 of the 57 channels or how ever many their are. Don't other Brands use the whole spectrum the FCC allocates to RC.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:30 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

: HoundDog Wayne Miller: I use the Aurora 9 module in my Futaba 9CAPs with 5 9 channel receivers. I updated 4 of these but 1 would not update. It was purchased last winter with the module and another receiver. One of the four I updated. This Receiver functions well in a plane no problems. I think I'll send it back and have it repaired or replaced. My Question is why doesn't HiTec use the scan mode to fly add why only 20 of the 57 channels or how ever many their are. Don't other Brands use the whole spectrum the FCC allocates to RC.
ORIGINAL: A.T.A very few Optima 9 do not update update for some reason. The few presented here have been found to update provided:
a) User gets HPP-22 program started on screen to stage where it asks for the Optime to be connected and only then turn power on.
In need, turn Optima off, go back to very first screen of HPP-22 and start again. (user had been turning Optima on to early in the process)
b) If a) fails, remove SPCplug and power Optima trhough the SPCport.
c) Email/phone Hitec Warranty & Service
Note: Hitec USA only services North/South America and Canada. All other countries see appropriate distributor for service.
• If you are from a country that is outside North and South America, please contact the
Hitec distributor in your country for service.
My Question is why doesn't HiTec use the scan mode to fly add why only 20 of the 57 channels or how ever many their are

2. Normal Mode is just that and used at all major events. Scan Mode (Function)isonly used in the most extreme RFI situations and has the limitations of only one Optima able to be bound at anytime (rebind every time you change RX)and slower reboot.
AFHSS - ID_Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Test Procedure Aurora 9, Spectra 2.4Ghz Module <> Optima Receiver.

Spectra 2.4GHz Module Firmware Version 3.01 - Released April, 18th, 2011
.Changed “Scan Mode” to less complex “Scan Function”
. Added compatibility with Hitec’s non-telemetry 2.4GHz receivers
. Improved LED indicator error after Scan is done
Version 3.01 Manual
20Apr11 added:
"New "smart scan" is basically an easier way of picking a new set of channels per your environment other than going into scan mode and then back to normal mode which is what is recommended to use. Scan mode was nice that it picked a new set of channels each time, but really unnecessary and some of the downfalls with having to cycle power on the both the TX and RX made it inconvenient. First of all note that the Hitec team has never done the scan mode to normal mode trick as we use the same channels picked by normal mode and have flown at all the major events with zero issues. The only time I would suggest you use the scan function is if you need to avoid another device or if somehow you are having problems at a specific field.
Linking telemetry and non-telemetry Rx's... the technology requires a different binding method. When binding the Optima (telemetry) RX's you would utilize the same exact procedure that you are familiar with, but with the new Minima RX's, you must push the link button again to get the blue light flashing. - Mike"

AFHSS - Receiver Manual V3.0
AFHSS - Spectra Module V3.1 " Unquote..
2. Easiest to understand by watching the video:
AFHSS in operation - Hitec Spectra 2.4 GHz and Optima Transceiver (RX)- Video #1 = Normal Mode, Video #2 = Scan Mode.
AFHSS in operation - Hitec Spectra 2.4 GHz and Optima Transceiver (RX) -Video #3 (Answers queries received ex Videos 1 & 2.,

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

[ORIGINAL: A.T. 04Aug2011 <snip>
For optimum performance use:
Current Aurora 9 firmware V1.08(1) 10 July 2011
Current Spectra 2.4Ghz Module firmware V3.01 18 April 2011
Current Optima 7 & 9 Ch Transceiver Firmware V2.01 31 July 2011
Update 5Aug11: "Optima 6's will be able to be updated in the near future but will have to be sent in to do so.
Don't send them yet though... we are waiting on the jig. - Mike." <snip>
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links