Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 922 Receiver "Soft Switch"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Ga-Bulldog
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 922 Receiver "Soft Switch"

Guys, I purchased a used R922 receiver from a guy on the forum. I was not "up to speed" as I should have been and didn't realize that the receiver needed a "Soft Switch" to operate. I can not get the receiver to "Bind". Am I to assume that it will not "bind" without the soft switch. Also, can I make up a switch that will work. In the manual it appears that the switch is "self contained" and only plugs into the SW terminal of the receiver. Thanks in advance for any help with this. Gary

Old 07-24-2011, 01:03 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: JR 922 Receiver

Yes, you can bind the receiver without the soft switch:

Insert a bind plug into the bind port.
Connect a battery to one of the two power leads.
The receiver will go into bind mode.

You can make your own soft switch by taking any single pole, single throw switch and attaching a male servo plug. Use the outer most pins and leave nothing in the center pin. When the switch is closed, the receiver will turn OFF. The receiver is normally ON if the switch is open or missing.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yup the softswitch is just a jumper between the ground and signal pins of the switch port. As noted, you CANNOT replace it with a standard switch. You can buy them from Horizon or the original Beta testers on the PowerSafe rx's just used a servo lead to the side of the fuselage with an Ernst jack or the like and used a bind plug for the off/on switch. Plug in the rx is off, plug out the rx is on.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Ga-Bulldog

Thanks guys, I tried to "bind" the receiver yesterday but had no luck. I plugged-in the bind plug and actually put a battery on both battery plugs. It would not bind. I only got the "blue" lights on the receiver to come on. I found a guy that is shipping me a "soft switch" this week so maybe I can get it to work.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Zeeb

I suspect that you're trying to use the wrong port to bind?

Don't have an R922 sitting here to look at, but on my R1222's the labeling on the rx is somewhat confusing. You don't need the switch to turn it on as you've found since the switch's only function is to turn it off. So if you get the right port for the bind plug and then plug in a battery you should get the flashing lights. There is one other possibility; do you have at least three satellites plugged into the main unit? These PowerSafe rx's do not have an RF section inside the main unit and the bigger Spektrum/JR rx's will not work without a minimum of three RF units. So on say an AR9000/R921, there are two RF sections inside the main unit, so they'll bind with only one satellite attached which means you've got three total.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Ga-Bulldog

Thanks, I DID only have 2 receivers plugged into the main unit. I will try tonight witht the 3rd one plugged in. I have a soft switch ordered ($7.95) but it will take a few days for it to be delivered. Gary
Old 07-26-2011, 10:24 AM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As has been stated here, you don't need the softswitch to bind.

You CAN use a regular switch to turn on and off the rx by inserting a bind plug into the switch lead that the battery would normally plug into. The switch will now act as a softswitch. This setup does not put the RX into bind mode however....You'll need another bind plug in the correct port on the RX to put it into bind mode.

Ken
Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 AM
Brianna Johnson

it always good to use the regular plug to bind it by inserting a bind plug to switch.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Zeeb

ORIGINAL: Brianna Johnson

it always good to use the regular plug to bind it by inserting a bind plug to switch.
Umm.... No....

In the case of the PowerSafe rx's, the switch port and the Bind/Data port are in two different places. The softswitch only has two leads and any binding through a switch requires a three lead switch. Even then, the three lead switch MUST be plugged into the Batt/Bind port on an rx which has that port and not all folks do that as power can be put into any port on the rx's.

I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful, but your suggestion is wrong....
Old 08-23-2011, 03:21 PM
HPHlady

RE: There is one other possibility; do you have at least three satellites plugged into the main unit? These PowerSafe rx's do not have an RF section inside the main unit and the bigger Spektrum/JR rx's will not work without a minimum of three RF units. So on say an AR9000/R921, there are two RF sections inside the main unit, so they'll bind with only one satellite attached which means you've got three total.

I am using a JR 922 rx with two satellites and an X9303 tx. I could bind the system, but got no response from the servos. Turns out that as Zeeb suggested, Ineeded three satellites on the rx even though the manual said at least two would work. This post saved me a day or more of time spent troubleshooting.Iregistered for this forum just to say IT WORKED! And thanks!

Regards