Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo arm thread lock

Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 PM
mickvk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo arm thread lock

I understand that threadlock can attack servo gears and obviously isn't recommended. I sometimes see blue rubber cement used instead (on metal outputs only of course). I tried using shoe goo rubber cement, but it's not the right consistency. Can anyone recommend a rubber cement product that works well? Thanks -Mick

Old 07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Servo arm thread lock

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

Screws going in to nylon output gear servos are extremely unlikely to come out under normal operation but the occasional inspection wouldnt hurt.

A very small drop of blue thread lock and or the star washers like Hitec use are advisable.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mickvk I understand that threadlock can attack servo gears and obviously isn't recommended. I sometimes see blue rubber cement used instead (on metal outputs only of course). I tried using shoe goo rubber cement, but it's not the right consistency. Can anyone recommend a rubber cement product that works well? Thanks -Mick
<dt>Servo - Hitec MG & Resin Horn Screw sizes
"NB: Never use red loctite, in need if star washer is lost, Liquid Thread Lock used sparingly
and ensure none remains in contact with plastic parts."
Following may also assist:</dt><dt>Servo - DIY Repair - Lubrication (servo grease)
Servo - Horn arm Spline Count and Inter Brand Compatibility

and more under:
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

</dt>
Old 07-27-2011, 02:19 PM
mickvk

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

Screws going in to nylon output gear servos are extremely unlikely to come out under normal operation but the occasional inspection wouldnt hurt.

A very small drop of blue thread lock and or the star washers like Hitec use are advisable.
I specifically asked about metal outputs, not nylon. When arms are repeatedly serviced, the OEMrubber threadlock needs to be reapplied. I'm looking for that product.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:27 PM
mickvk

ORIGINAL: A.T.

<dt>Servo - Hitec MG & Resin Horn Screw sizes
"NB: Never use red loctite, in need if star washer is lost, Liquid Thread Lock used sparingly
and ensure none remains in contact with plastic parts."
Following may also assist:</dt><dt>Servo - DIY Repair - Lubrication (servo grease)
Servo - Horn arm Spline Count and Inter Brand Compatibility

and more under:
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

</dt>
Thank you. But I'm specifically trying not to use thread lock. I'm looking for somebody who successfully uses a non reactive rubber cement product like some servo manufacturers apply on new new units.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

I know what you’re trying to source, I looked for it myself. Never did find it though in a retail package.

We ended up using Loctite #222 Thread locker (Purple) with great results on the aluminum servo output shafts.
The application was for the servos in 1/8 scale onroad cars, High vibration situation.

If things are going to fail they will in this environment.

These cars are constantly being taken apart and assembled for competition so this particular loctite
is what we’ve used for years and not just for the servo output shaft but throughout the cars at all metal to metal fastening.

Hope this helps you out, if not sorry to waste your time.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: mickvk

I understand that threadlock can attack servo gears and obviously isn't recommended. I sometimes see blue rubber cement used instead (on metal outputs only of course). I tried using shoe goo rubber cement, but it's not the right consistency. Can anyone recommend a rubber cement product that works well? Thanks -Mick

I have read through this thread and I am still scratching my head.
What is your problem with thread locks ? If it is this fear that it can attack the metal servo gears, then you have been misinformed from my experiences of their use. I have used Thread locks #222 and #242 with not a single problem in over 20 yrs of using the stuff. Not a single screw lost or loosened up.

I have seen people use dabs of silicon on the top of the servo screws so they would not loosen up, but have had problems picking off the silicon to get to the screws.

Also, in over 35 years of being a part of this hobby and buying many, many servos, I have never seen not one servo come with a thread lock of any kind on them, but have seen "star" washers. Don't know what servos you are buying ???????

Just my 2 opinion.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 PM
MaineBear

Not familar with your blue rubber cement, but when I used to use servos with metal shafts, I use Elmers Rubber Cement. Dabbed a little on the screw threads; screws can be removed with minimal effort, and re-inserted with a little more cement as necessary.

Now though, I don't have need to use any cement on the current servos... but still find applications for the cement, using it to ensure the integrity of other small parts which might be subject to vibration, etc.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM
mickvk

ORIGINAL: rc4flying

What is your problem with thread locks ? If it is this fear that it can attack the metal servo gears, then you have been misinformed from my experiences of their use. I have used Thread locks #222 and #242 with not a single problem in over 20 yrs of using the stuff. Not a single screw lost or loosened up.

I have seen people use dabs of silicon on the top of the servo screws so they would not loosen up, but have had problems picking off the silicon to get to the screws.

Also, in over 35 years of being a part of this hobby and buying many, many servos, I have never seen not one servo come with a thread lock of any kind on them, but have seen "star" washers. Don't know what servos you are buying ???????

Just my 2 opinion.
THank you. I'm not sure if it's worth our time for me to explain and then you try to talk me out of what I'm looking for... But anyhoo - I think it's safer for me to avoid using thread lock since it's identified as a problem for carbonite gears. I don't always know what's in the black box, I just want to know what product is similar to the cement that BlueBird and others use on their screws. I'm not saying everyone has to agree and I'm not saying that that's the right way to do it.

The only real response I'm looking for is if somebody is familiar with the rubber cement product or something similar to what Bluebird uses on their screws. Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:08 PM
mickvk

Cool, I'll take a look at the store for it. thanks bud.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 PM
snuts

I realize you are looking for a spacific product. But for the benifit of others who read this thread, and yourself. I have had an elevator servo screw go missing in flight on a 60cc plane. luckily it had dual elevator servo's. Since then after adjusting or installing a servo arn on metal gear output shafts. I dab a smeer of clear silicone over the servo screw. I actually silicone a lot of different screws on my airframes. This takes the vibration, and we will say rubber mounts the screws so as to prevent them from turning. As for removing them later for service, the screw driver penitrates the silicone cap quite easily. And the screw is easy to remove, only requiring a little more force then vibration can posibly apply.

Hope this helps

-Snuts-
Old 07-27-2011, 04:37 PM
aussiesteve

snuts and MaineBear have given you two very viable options. both will work well.

Another set of optins are:
Get some colored nail polish and paint a strip of it over the screw once tightened. This works very well.

PVC pipe cement (plumbers glue) a small drop of it will lock your screws well but allow them to be easily undone without damage. Use a toothpick to apply a single drop of it.

Using a Star Washer and then Silicone "potting" of the screwhead is pretty much the easiest and best though.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:13 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

Look for a product called hylomar. I found mine at the local oreillys auto parts store. A mechanical engineer friend of mine told me about it years ago when my son flew a little control line speed. We had a td 049 with a left hand rotation crank that was always losing the prop. You put just a little of this stuff on the screw, let it dry then assemble the parts. You can remove and replace the screw a number of times before you have to re do it. Never gets hard, keeps the screw from vibrating loose. Plus its blue!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: rc4flying

Also, in over 35 years of being a part of this hobby and buying many, many servos, I have never seen not one servo come with a thread lock of any kind on them, but have seen ''star'' washers. Don't know what servos you are buying ???????

Just my 2 opinion.
THank you. I'm not sure if it's worth our time for me to explain and then you try to talk me out of what I'm looking for... But anyhoo - I think it's safer for me to avoid using thread lock since it's identified as a problem for carbonite gears. I don't always know what's in the black box, I just want to know what product is similar to the cement that BlueBird and others use on their screws. I'm not saying everyone has to agree and I'm not saying that that's the right way to do it.

The only real response I'm looking for is if somebody is familiar with the rubber cement product or something similar to what Bluebird uses on their screws. Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Now that I see you are talking about a different kind of servo gear when now refering to a Carbonite gear other than metal gears, and a different servo than I am fimilar with,BlueBirds, I apoligize for trying to help and taking up your time. Sorry.