Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo control voltages

Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo control voltages

I am curious to know how servos are actually controlled by their 3 wires.

Can someone explain how the voltages are applied over each wire to produce the servo rotation amount and direction?

For instance, does the servo sit at full voltage on the red and black wires, and then the amount of potential on the white wire determines where the horn sits at in its rotation range?

I'm trying to figure out how I could get a switch to turn on when the brakes on a nitro vehicle are applied. So if I know how the signal works from the receiver, I could monitor the channel a certain way. Thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Default RE: Servo control voltages

Servos are not controlled by voltage, but by a pulse that is varied at generally from 1.0 to 2.0 milliseconds. Servo center is commanded by a 1.5 mS pulse.
The amplitude (voltage) of the control pulse is usually slightly more than three volts, but it does not vary and has nothing to do with servo output position.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Lnewqban

Default RE: Servo control voltages

You may find some ideas here:

http://www.servocity.com/html/how_do_servos_work_.html

http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/circ/circuits.htm