Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio suggestion

Old 07-29-2011, 06:00 AM
mogrdsman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio suggestion

Looking to purchase my first radio. I want to get something in the 8+ channel range. I was wanting to get some suggestions from the people using them on what would be the best to get.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-29-2011, 06:33 AM
JIMF14D

Default RE: Radio suggestion

Take a look at Hitec Aurora 9 at www.hitecrcd.com. Ihave one for a year and it is great. Good prices at Tom's rc or A Main Hobby online.

Spectrum new dx8 and lots of good Futaba models also. Ask at your local club or hobby shop.
Good luck

Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
ira d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Airtronics SD-10G and it's a nice radio and I feel a good value for the money. Lots of folks at field or also flying the Airtronics RD8000
with good sucess and think it also is a good value. I have not seen any of the Hitec A9 radios yet although they have been out for a couple of
years, I would suggest doing a search on all the current radios availble and read what is being said about them.

I have found generally when a question like you asked is posted some will respond that all the radios are good it dont matter what you get,
Someone else will say brand xx is thebest and someone else will say they are junk bottom line is you have to kind of have to read between
the lines.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the Futaba T8FG, an 8 channel radio that can be expanded to 14 channels with a software update.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

JR 9503
Futaba 8FG
Spektrum DX8

Maybe even a JR 11x if you can spring a little more cash.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:00 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

If You intend to be a membor of a RC club visit them and hear what brands is most common there. It will help if you choose a brand that they use and it is easier for You to get help in the beginning.
Futaba is nice, 8FG Super is probably the Futaba radio that gives most for the money today. It will perhaps be a little learning cure when You want to use the more advanced programming capabilites of the 8FG (or any other similar programmable radio) but it is not that hard to understand. I have a Futaba myself (14MZ) and I have no problem with my radio (so far).
About Spektrum DX8 make sure it is a new one without the defects it had when this radio was released (there is a bulletin on that radio) but DX8 made today should be fine.

/Bo
Old 07-29-2011, 05:56 PM
AndyKunz

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Bo,

We work closely with our dealers and distributors to have them ship downrev stock back to us for update before they sell it. The likelihood of anybody purchasing a downrev product several months after a bulletin is published, especially for a hard-to-keep-in-stock item like the DX8, is virtually nil. It's a good idea to watch when somebody is buying used equipment, but I'd be surprised to find a dealer with a downrev DX8 on his shelves today.

Andy
Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 PM
byrne1157

I was kept out of the r/c airplane hobby by high-priced radios such as the ones you have seen here. Then came the internet, and direct from china purchasing became available! The clouds parted, and the wind ceased to blow on me! I purchased from HobbyKing a Turnigy 9x, 9 channel tx, with 8 channel rx, as a set for $53.00!!!!! I have had no problems to date with 50+ flights! All of the r/c radios are made over-seas. I can purchase 6ch rx for about $8.00! Yes, I have to pay shipping, and wait for it get here, but now I can get what I want without having to save months for it.
Let's see, $53.00+shipping for 9ch ,2.4ghz setup, or $250.00+for "brand name". No contest for me....

Old 10-10-2011, 05:05 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: byrne1157

I was kept out of the r/c airplane hobby by high-priced radios such as the ones you have seen here. Then came the internet, and direct from china purchasing became available! The clouds parted, and the wind ceased to blow on me! I purchased from HobbyKing a Turnigy 9x, 9 channel tx, with 8 channel rx, as a set for $53.00!!!!! I have had no problems to date with 50+ flights! All of the r/c radios are made over-seas. I can purchase 6ch rx for about $8.00! Yes, I have to pay shipping, and wait for it get here, but now I can get what I want without having to save months for it.
Let's see, $53.00+shipping for 9ch ,2.4ghz setup, or $250.00+for ''brand name''. No contest for me....

I understand the need to save money, but things like Warranty and Technical Support have value as well.

Just something to think about.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 PM
blvdbuzzard

Tech support is right here on the forums

I have (2) RD6000's. (2) RDS8000's and I also have a 9X.

There is no comparing the RDS to the 9x. The simplicity of programming the RDS is so far above the 9x. Yet I have figure out the programming of the 9x. It is not hard, just more menu's to go through to get it done.

I have less then 75 flights on the 9x with (2) planes. It has been a solid radio. I have no real complaints about it.

I am going to order the back lite programing board for it though. It adds so many new features when you flash it with the open source software. it opens up the mixing, changes the 8 model memory to 16 and the features keep going.

There will be people here that will laugh at the 9x, tell you it is total junk and put it down any way they can. I remember hearing this about another "CHEAP" plastic cased radio coming from Japan. People had a hard time saying "FUTABA"

On rcgroups, in the radio section, there are a couple of threads on the radio. If you can radio from post one to the end, you are a better man then I. They are really long threads.

Buzz.