Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help pick a radio

Old 08-24-2011, 05:08 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help pick a radio

I am quickly gaining some planes and can see that I will soon need to standardize on my radio equipment. Here's what I have and maybe would like to stay with futaba made stuff since that's what I have now (tactic) 2.4

I have 4-6 TX that are Tactics 404 and 440 and they are all FHSS spread spektrum I think. I also have 4-6 RX that are the same and compatible. What I need to do first is decide and then after that purchase some RX and 1 TX with model memory later.

For now I can just get compatible RX thru Tower TR 324 , TR 624 for 3,4, and 6 channel RX. Is there a cheap HK RX that is compatible? All my planes have this RX in them and that is mostly the planes I'd like to stick with for now. Is staying with this radio going to burn me in the future as I upgrade? I suppose I'd be satisfied for a long time with only extra RX and using my Tactic TX with more than one model , but the next best step for me is to stay with the RX I have and buy a TX that is compatible with my existing RX.

The extra RX are $25 for a 3 or 4 channel and $30 for a 6 channel. My TX is only 4 channels and so far I have no plans to go over 4 channels (for a year or more)

I hope someone can help me sort this out and what is compatible. I'm not against using HK stuff either. It's just nice to be able to use the RX that comes in the plane for now.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 PM
karolh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Help pick a radio

Guv,

You have given us so much excellent advice in the past that I do hope someone comes up with a workable option that satisfies all of your needs and does not break the bank. I too use some HK radio stuff and am quite happy with both their performance and cost

Karol
Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 PM
guver

Yea, thanks. I really don't know that much about different radios. It isn't all that different than the way I did cars/trucks. I bought all RTR models that were 27 mHZ AM and every RX was compatible. I simply bought 1 digital TX that did 10 models and I was good to go.

In the panes I'd like to get away with something similar only with 2.4 Ghz and FHSS (whatever that means) , but HK stuff wopul work too. With me, it comes down to doing the job with lowest time and money.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

What I would suggest is to move up to a Futaba FASST system. Don't break the bank, just go with something like the 6EX. It has plenty of programming features and will hold 6 models. Their receivers are a bit pricey, but there are some cheap knockoffs on the market now that you can get for about 40 bucks.

This way, as you advance, you're using the better stuff - and you can still hold on to your FHSS stuff and use it in your knock-around planes (besides, it's always good to have a back up!)
Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM
guver

Thanks Minn. I might do that later , but for me right now that is breaking the bank. I am trying to pick some stuff FOR my knock around planes.

Model memory would be great , and I can't quite find a TX with model memory that is compatible with my existing RXs. I think I could get away with using the multiple TXs like I do right now if I only could get some RXs that were compatible for cheap.

If it says FHSS does that mean it is necessarily compatible with my Tactic TX? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html

It may be worth me getting 1 or more of these to see. If they didn't work then perhaps I could get the complete system with extra RXs and use the HK TX too.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:23 PM
pilotpete2

The new Futaba T6J is a lot of radio for the money. It does not use FASST, but rather a simple FHSS protocol. The receivers are very attractively priced, $44.95 for the 6 channel full range model, and soon to be released 6 channel parkflyer for $34.95. While these receivers are not currently compatible with current FASST transmitters, that will be changing soon. From what I've read on the Robbe (Germany) website, that updates will be coming for the Futaba radios with user upgradable software, such as my 8FG[8D]
Pete
Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Pippin

The T18MZ will support FHSS. There is an FHSS module for the T10 as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

But, be aware - not every manufacturers FHSS is going to be compatible with another makers FHSS. Some may, others may not - it's not a given.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 AM
pilotpete2

I think it's a given that they won't
Pete
Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

True, but the original poster was asking about compatibility, and no one was really answering his question.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:48 AM
guver

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses and PM.

I guess my original question was a bit too wordy because I really did want to know about a cheap compatible RX for my existing TX as a start.
As a first step I ordered a cheap HK 2.4 FHSS RX to see if it works with the Tactic TX.
As a second step I may just buy the complete HK 6DF or the HK 6 channel V2 and just get extra RX for them.
I guess I have to decide if I can get away without model memory and if hooking up to a PC is going to be a bother. One nice thing is that I am starting as close to having nothing as it gets , but one thing that grabs me is that most of my planes have this tactic RX and most of the planes that I plan to buy also have this same Tactic RX.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:50 AM
forrest gump

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

The new Futaba T6J is a lot of radio for the money. It does not use FASST, but rather a simple FHSS protocol. The receivers are very attractively priced, $44.95 for the 6 channel full range model, and soon to be released 6 channel parkflyer for $34.95. While these receivers are not currently compatible with current FASST transmitters, that will be changing soon. From what I've read on the Robbe (Germany) website, that updates will be coming for the Futaba radios with user upgradable software, such as my 8FG[8D]
Pete

Sorry for butting in on a thread...but pete...can you send us/me a link to the disscussion or a copy of it from the site as i have looked everywhere for the info.I too have an 8fg and a 12fg and cant wait to see if I can upgrade either to a cheaper fhss for my foamies etc..thanks in advance...FG
Old 09-04-2011, 03:48 PM
guver

I've been looking at the HobbyKing systems and the turnigy 9x, the stuff is really cheap. As soon as I find out if the rx I ordered is compatible I will decide what to do. This is more complicated than I wanted.

I do think that using only 1 TX is ok for me , but would be a hassle to have to hook it to a PC to change models. I also think that 8-10 Tx laying around is silly. I might just be somewhere in between. Soon I will have 7 planes so 10 is a nice round number to estimate my pending needs.

Maybe I would use 2-3 Transmitters for 8-10 planes as a comprimise. Turnigy 9x , HK 6 channel PC TX, HK 4 channel TX, and 1 of my Tactic Tx.

still researching and shopping.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:45 AM
guver

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

True, but the original poster was asking about compatibility, and no one was really answering his question.
Yea, the question was really "are there any cheap compatible RX with Tactic TX?" I hope Pete is wrong, but I have a feeling he is right. I'll know in a few days.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:38 AM
guver

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

I think it's a given that they won't
Pete
I rx my rx today and can't get them to bind with Tactic TX , it looks like Pete is going to be right. Boo. Unless I can get the RX to bind then I'll have to go to plan B. I have only bound 1 RX in my life , and this 2.4 is kinda new to me. The first trouble (I should've seen it coming) is that the HK radio uses a bind button on the TX , but the Tactic radio uses a bind button on the RX. Any ideas on a procedure that may bind these 2?

Thanks guys.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:29 PM
guver

When I put these antennas in the plane how/where do I route it? None of mine have long antenna so far.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:11 PM
karolh

Basically 2.4 antennas should be mounted at 90 deg to each other, but preferably not on the same horizontal plane.

Karol
Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: karolh

Basically 2.4 antennas should be mounted at 90 deg to each other, but preferably not on the same horizontal plane.

Karol
With JR/Spektrum receivers, in particular, the Antennas for the Main Rx are at 90deg to one another, but the Antennas for the Satellite Rx's are parallel to one another. The object is to mount the Satellite Rx in a different orientation from the Main Rx.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

I saw a complete Futaba t6xa 72mhZ system on the bay for $40. Its a good radio that still works despite the world going to 2.4 GHz radios. I would just buy new batteries and have at it!
Old 09-11-2011, 05:37 AM
karolh

If it is a module type radio then you can always change to 2.4 at a later date if you so desire.

Karol
Old 09-11-2011, 05:43 AM
rcshenanigans

Is started with the Tactic TX from my skyfly, but I upgraded soon after.  I'm a fan of the Turnigy 9X, and they just became available in the US warehouse.  RXs are dirt cheap.  Futaba stuff is just too e-spensive for me!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:39 AM
guver

ORIGINAL: rcshenanigans

Is started with the Tactic TX from my skyfly, but I upgraded soon after. I'm a fan of the Turnigy 9X, and they just became available in the US warehouse. RXs are dirt cheap. Futaba stuff is just too e-spensive for me!
My 9X is ordered. Same story , I can't justify spending a lot on a radio for models that are around $100 or so.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 AM
CedricD67
Banned

Professional RC heli question is too difficult to me! what  I can do is to recommand you an online website, sell RC heli and spare parts,  when you need  to purchase, you will have a more choice, good luck.  WWW.OOMODEL.COM
Old 09-14-2011, 04:26 PM
karolh

ORIGINAL: guver

ORIGINAL: rcshenanigans

Is started with the Tactic TX from my skyfly, but I upgraded soon after. I'm a fan of the Turnigy 9X, and they just became available in the US warehouse. RXs are dirt cheap. Futaba stuff is just too e-spensive for me!
My 9X is ordered. Same story , I can't justify spending a lot on a radio for models that are around $100 or so.

Just remember that after all is said and done it's a $60.00 radio. Might be a good idea to read the no holds barred review about it on RC Reviews so you know exactly what to expect.

Karol

Karol
Old 10-08-2011, 04:56 PM
guver

Been using the 6 channel Flysky CT6B with good results once I figured out how to set up some of my escs. Thanks to the 2 mods who helped me. I've got 3-4 models saved on my PC and it's a pain to hook up to the pc everytime one wants to change models. Also if the manual trims were adjusted during flight they will need changed every time a model is switched (unless they are all very carefully set to zero using manual adjustment and/or (subtrim) PC adjustment.

I think this is a nice cheap (and it is cheaply made too) radio for users who might fly one model for a long time and then switch for another very long time (saving the set-ups on PC) It's not very good for me since I want to fly 3-4 different models in one session. I think over the winter I will change to the turnigy 9x.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.