Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Another 72 mhz. vs 2.4 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 72 mhz. vs 2.4 question

I have a futaba 9CAP that I have been flying on 72 mhz for 8 years and I have NEVER even had a glitch with this radio.I am about to fly my new 35% aeroworks extra 300 and a few of the guys at the field are telling me that I have a far greater chance of getting shot down with the 72 mhz than the 2.4. I understand that the 2.4 is the best thing out there and I don't want to risk a $3000 airplane any more than the next guy, but I do wonder if the 72 mhz on PCM is that vulnerable. I know that if I want to take it to a major fly-in that I will be required to be on 2.4. At that time I will make the decision of a TM-8 module or maybe even go out and buy a new 10C system.Do you guys think that it is that risky to still use the 72 mhz technology?
Thanks for your imput.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Another 72 mhz. vs 2.4 question

As long as someone does not shoot you down- they are just fine - Not as exact in mixes and simply not as good at rejecting possible "frequency" problems .
2.4 has it's own requirements - NO FREE LUNCH
having said that - I use 2.4 exclusively never had any problems
Old 08-29-2011, 02:21 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyerdave

I have a futaba 9CAP that I have been flying on 72 mhz for 8 years and I have NEVER even had a glitch with this radio.I am about to fly my new 35% aeroworks extra 300 and a few of the guys at the field are telling me that I have a far greater chance of getting shot down with the 72 mhz than the 2.4. I understand that the 2.4 is the best thing out there and I don't want to risk a $3000 airplane any more than the next guy, but I do wonder if the 72 mhz on PCM is that vulnerable. I know that if I want to take it to a major fly-in that I will be required to be on 2.4. At that time I will make the decision of a TM-8 module or maybe even go out and buy a new 10C system.Do you guys think that it is that risky to still use the 72 mhz technology?
Thanks for your imput.
I still fly 72Mhz and 2.4, but I prefer 2.4. I just need one more 2.4 Rx, then Bye Bye 72.

If you plan on buying new, the 8FG supports 14 Channels and blows away the 10.

72Mhz is vecoming more of a risk, with the glut of older 72 stuff for sale cheap.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

I agree with Dick. also, as more and more people move to 2.4, the 72mhz band will open up more and your chances of being shot down is less, as long as your club is still using the frequency board and people are not becoming lazy about using it correctly. (some clubs dont even use a board anymore, or are 2.4 only!)
Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a futaba 9CAP that I have been flying on 72 mhz for 8 years and I have NEVER even had a glitch with this radio.
That should answer your question.

Hold off on the 2.4 till you can afford the 10C
Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Thanks for your imput.
I still fly 72Mhz and 2.4, but I prefer 2.4. I just need one more 2.4 Rx, then Bye Bye 72.

If you plan on buying new, the 8FG supports 14 Channels and blows away the 10.

72Mhz is becoming more of a risk, with the glut of older 72 stuff for sale cheap.
Keep in mind that if you opt for the 2.4 module, for your 9CAP, it becomes an 8 channel for 2.4.

Also, we have had a number of instances where newbies to RC ground vehicles have been buying used higher end 72Mhz radios because they are cheap and then operating them near where people fly on 72Mhz. It is a myth to believe that you are safer on 72Mhz because pilots are switching to 2.4.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber
72Mhz is vecoming more of a risk, with the glut of older 72 stuff for sale cheap.

ORIGINAL: Brian Dorff

I agree with Dick. also, as more and more people move to 2.4, the 72mhz band will open up more and your chances of being shot down is less, as long as your club is still using the frequency board and people are not becoming lazy about using it correctly. (some clubs dont even use a board anymore, or are 2.4 only!)
Here is where 2.4 blows 72 out of the water! Two statements, two conflicting conclusions. I agree with BuschBarber here. People not trained in the use of frequency boards, or rouge RCers are picking up 72mhz equipment for cheap. They go to the local park, the local open field and fire up their new (used) equipment. How do you know that you are more than 3 miles away when that happens?

Rafael
Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 2.4 all the way.

One problem I have seen a couple of times is that a some people have not changed over all their planes over to 2.4 and still fly some on 72. When they fly their 72 equipment they forget to use the frequency board for 72.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcovish

When they fly their 72 equipment they forget to use the frequency board for 72.
Or they forget to pull out their antenna! [:@]
Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 AM
pilotpete2

That was my last flight on 72Mhz, a short one at that[:-]
At the time I was about 75% converted over.
Pete
Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 PM
flyerdave

I think that the TM-8 with 6008 receiver is the way I'm leaning. The only question I have now is will 8 channels be sufficient. I don't have any extra gadgets on the plane, I am flying with the standard 4 channels and have the ailerons on 1 and 6. I am also using a smart-fly EQ10 that everything will be running through. I have been very resistant of going to the 2.4 systems because I love my 9c and also because I don't have the funds to buy 6 or 7 new receivers, but this way, I can start with 1 outfit and add new receivers as funds allow. In the meantime, I can still use my 9c to fly the planes with my old PCM receivers.
Thanks for all the comments.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 PM
BuschBarber

I think that the TM-8 with 6008 receiver is the way I'm leaning. The only question I have now is will 8 channels be sufficient. I don't have any extra gadgets on the plane, I am flying with the standard 4 channels and have the ailerons on 1 and 6. I am also using a smart-fly EQ10 that everything will be running through. I have been very resistant of going to the 2.4 systems because I love my 9c and also because I don't have the funds to buy 6 or 7 new receivers, but this way, I can start with 1 outfit and add new receivers as funds allow. In the meantime, I can still use my 9c to fly the planes with my old PCM receivers.
Thanks for all the comments.
The Hitec Aurora 9 would allow you to use all your existing Futaba 72Mhz PPM receivers, any of the Hitec 2.4 receivers, and still have 9 channels. The price is very reasonable, as well.
I, personally, sold my 9C when the JR9303 came out and then I bought the Spektrum 2.4 module. Unlike the 9C, all 9 channels are proportional whether you are using the cheaper 9 channel PPM receivers, 9 channel PCM receivers, or the JR/Spektrum 9 channel 2.4Ghz receivers. You also get Flight Modes, Flaps on a Switch, the Mate Function, etc.

The 9th channel on the 9C is not Proportional (only a Switch) and only works with the more expensive Futaba PCM receivers. There are no third party PCM receivers.

Futaba has some nice replacements for the 9C but they came out too late for me.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:22 AM
flyerdave

Just got a chance to pick up a slightly used R6014 futaba receiver at a good deal.I assume that this receiver will work fine with the TM8 module and I'm thinking that later on when I have a new 10C that I can use this same receiver with it. Am I right about this or should I go ahead and just get the R6008 receiver that comes with the module/rx combo? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 AM
BuschBarber

Just got a chance to pick up a slightly used R6014 futaba receiver at a good deal.I assume that this receiver will work fine with the TM8 module and I'm thinking that later on when I have a new 10C that I can use this same receiver with it. Am I right about this or should I go ahead and just get the R6008 receiver that comes with the module/rx combo? Thanks for the help.
Is it the 6014FS or HS? I just sold an FS for $85. No one wanted to pay more unless it was the faster HS.