Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba FASST compatible Rx

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 AM
davidej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba FASST compatible Rx

The genuine Futaba Rxs are eye-wateringly expensive.

For less tha half price, compatibles are availabe from Hong Kong.

Has anyone tried them and would like to recommend a brand.

I want to use it on a gas powered plane
Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: Futaba FASST compatible Rx

The 617 is $90 USD, the 6203 (use with S-Bus t get 14 channels) is $70 USD. Given the cost of a gasoline powered plane is it really worth betting against the proven reliability of the genuine product to save 30 or 40 dollars??
Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 AM
forrest gump

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: davidej

The genuine Futaba Rxs are eye-wateringly expensive.

For less tha half price, compatibles are availabe from Hong Kong.

Has anyone tried them and would like to recommend a brand.

I want to use it on a gas powered plane

I agree with the use of a genuine futaba rx in an expensive model.I would not use a $20 compatable in my £700 mouldie.However I have ranted on about this very issue before and why futaba havent released cheap rx for foamies etc....
Any way I have used the tfr8,the tfr6 and the tfr4 from frsky and can confirm they are very well made,reliable and have some functions the futaba ones dont have.I own a 12fg and an 8fg and will always use the fasst system and futaba transmitters and have done for 31yrs or more.

I have flown a tfr8 since they came out probably over a year now with no issues.The tfr4 can bind in 7ch,multi mode ,mlt2 and c1 mode for surface tx like my 3pm 2.4ghz.I have range checked them and tested their diversity(aerial wise) and can say with out a doubt They are impressive.

What i am doing now is only buying frsky rx in future and taking out the 617;s in my foamies.This will leave me with a brace of lovley 617 for many more expensive models.I have spoken about futaba missing the opportunity to allow the 8fg to transmitt in fhss mode too ,then i would have bought their Cheeper genuine FHSS rx instead if the frsky ones but once again futaba have been too slow and missed the open market.......hope this helps...FG
Old 09-18-2011, 11:08 AM
JimmyZep

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

The 617 is $90 USD, the 6203 (use with S-Bus t get 14 channels) is $70 USD. Given the cost of a gasoline powered plane is it really worth betting against the proven reliability of the genuine product to save 30 or 40 dollars??

I agree, and I dont understand the logic at all of useing cheap electrionics in a plane.

Im not a rich guy at all, far from it but I will only use name brand stuff.

Why take a chance?

Jimmy
Old 09-18-2011, 02:51 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Several guys in my area are using an orange rx with great results. Agreed on the expensive/bigger planes using an appropriate rx, but on smaller .60 size and under why not? I have many smaller planes (big ones too) and can't see spending the money on expensive rx's for planes that don't cost much more than a name brand rx to begin with.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:42 PM
pilotpete2

fg,
Word is that the 8FG will get an update for the FHSS protocol after the 18MZ hits the shelves. Something to look forward to[8D]
Pete
Old 09-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: forrest gump
I agree with the use of a genuine futaba rx in an expensive model.I would not use a $20 compatable in my £700 mouldie.However I have ranted on about this very issue before and why futaba havent released cheap rx for foamies etc....
The R6004FF is $50 USD. I use it in my foamies, including my ParkZone Extra 300 and PZ Corsair. Works great

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWHX6&P=SM

Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

I fly several of the HK Orange Fast receivers. Though I'd rather gargle the kerosene than put one in a jet, they have been flawless in over 30 hours of 1/2A flying. For your smaller, less expensive models, they're fine. Just don't get carried away and trust one to a large/fast potentially dangerous model. It's OK to be cheap, but not dumb.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Silent-AV8R

It's OK to be cheap, but not dumb.
This is perhaps one of the best things I have ever seen written on the Internet!!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:42 AM
TimBle

I am using the TFR-8 as well as genuine FASST Rx (R606FS, R617FS and R6008HS) and there is definately a difference in senitivity.

I had an aerial unhook itself on a TFR-8 and I expereinced glitches as certain angles.

I then tried a R617Fs and inserted on aerial into a carbon tube and range checked it. Range check worked out fine and then I flew it.
That one aerial was working fine and the glitches only started to appear when the plane was much further away than the TFR-8 was.
I concluded that the FASST Rx's are more sensitive and probably apply a more robust error correction.

SO I use the TFR-8's in anything smaller han .50size. Anything bigger and it gets the genuine article.
I'lll Still buy the TFR-8, I order three more  for a few Rx-R / PNP parkflyers I'm assembling. The TFR-* also worked nicely in the E-Flite P-39 Lightning I assembled because  I used

1 - Right Aileron
2- Elevator
3 - Y lead into 2 x ESC
4- Rudder
5 - Steerable Nose gear
6-Left Aileron
7- Vacant
8- Vacant.

I could possibly mix CH3 to 7 and have differential thrust on the motors I f I chose.
Ir I may get crafty and fit retracts...

TFR-4 may work well in my Seawind
Old 09-19-2011, 10:12 AM
forrest gump

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: forrest gump
The R6004FF is $50 USD. I use it in my foamies, including my ParkZone Extra 300 and PZ Corsair. Works great

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWHX6&P=SM

Pilot pete,thanks...yes i hear this rumour too but Its nearly too late..frsky have taken over the cheap rx market for foamies regarding FASST...they come in at £15 delivered for me ,the tf6 that is(7channel)

Av8r....I have 2 6004ff already,one in a mpx fox(£9 for the plane) and the other in an alula.Problem is,here in the UK they come in at £40-£45 each thats $62+ and if bought from tower for me i will get hit with a customs charge which rules it out totally.

But more to the point Av8r,I have found the range on the 6004ff is not good enough for a small fast foamie...say the micro jet by mpx...this plane would easily exceed the range of the rx in no time with hardly any chance of a warning before you break the outer limits of packet loss and then final control loss.Also if used on the slope,hook a thermal with my x-it(windrider something in the USA)48inch span flying wing and you will never see it again with a 600ff! ..get the picture..

I am gagging for cheap 6ch FHSS futaba rx(For my 6servo micro floh mouldie and being a 31 year loyal futaba user) and a software upgrade on my 8fg...and it better come soon or mr frsky will get the rest of my business...along with the rest of the world too i would think...FG