Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Futaba 8J

Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Aresti-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Futaba 8J

http://www.hobby-show.info/tokyo2011/1354.html
[X(]
[X(]
Old 10-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: New Futaba 8J

No transmitter antenna just like the 6J. Pretty interesting!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why interesting? @.4GHz antenna never needed to be outside the casing. It was only pl;aced there because RC pilots wanted to see an aerial
Old 10-15-2011, 03:43 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see that it is FHSS not FASST
Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Silent-AV8R

Yes it is S-FHSS. It looks like Futaba is making this their "sport" line. Still super solid RF link but in a lower price point but still with some good features.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:47 AM
TimBle

I wonder if S-FHSS is a rebrand of the FASST Multi system?

Makes sense to rename it to avoid confusion going forward
Old 10-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: TimBle

No, it is not. S-FHSS receivers are not compatible with FASST transmitters and vice versa.

I say this based on the fact that in the frequency selection menu of the new 18MZ your choices are:

FASSTest 18CH
FASSTest 12CH
FASST MULTI
FASST 7CH
S-FHSS

And I am fairly certain that none of the FASST or FASSTest receivers will work with a S-FHSS RX. The new 8J comes with a R20008SB receiver that say S-FHSS on it.

But S-Bus will be available on the "J" series radios from the looks of it.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:01 AM
DougV

FCC docs for FASST shows as a DSSS system (Hybrid FH/DSSS) using 36 channels, hopping every other channel for a total of 72 channels.

FCC docs for S-FHSS show as a FHSS frequency, using 60 channels.

Doug.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:30 AM
TimBle

thanks Doug, that's a good answer. So it is a different system. I am wondering if Futaba will continue to produce all the FASST derivatives or if they will standardize on FASSTest and the FHSS SYSTEMS?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 AM
DougV

Well, FASST and FASSTest use the same protocol, the only difference is the "est" Extended System Telemetry (It’s bi-directional, it’s capable of supporting telemetry functions)

Doug.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 PM
skyraider71

I'm curious why Futaba is doing this instead of a replacement for the 7C FASST. With the new DX7 out, Futaba needs an Updated
entry in this market segment.
I do like the backlit display (like my 8FG) and the lit programming dial.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 PM
TimBle

This is the replacement for 7C FASST. However there are many FASST 7CH Rx's still out there operating onnew Tx's so Futaba will retain compatibility to these Rx with current Tx's

Futaba has long ago realised where their gaps are. Its not technology. Its about price point so they are producing radio's with more features at lower cost. The T8FG was the first product of this change in direction. It was followed by the T6J and next year the T8J replaces the T7C.
The 18MZ is of course a no holds barred all out technical tour de force yet will sell for a similar price to the 14MZ but with more features

Will the T10C be replaced? I doubt it but I have been wrong before.

I think by end of 2012 you will see their Rc airplane/heli/glider range looking like this

T6J S-FHSS
T8J S-FHSS
T8FGS (name likely to change to T14FG) S-FHSS/FASST/FASSTest
T12FG Possible upgrade to 16channels therefore becoming T16FG S-FHSS/FASST/FASSTest
T18MZ S-FHSS/FASST/FASSTest

There is a gap between T8J and T8FGS so that may be filled in 2013 by a "T10J". However a radio to fit in between the T8FG and T12FG is more likely before the T12FG is retired in 2013.

Remember that the t*FG doe snot compete with a DX8 of XG8. It is a more highly featured radio.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:03 PM
jcvt
My Feedback: (2)

You have to be kidding right?

I was considering buying this month a new 8-10 channel radio for my next proyect, but I am thinking that I should wait one or two months for the super ultra S-FHSS fasst ,S-FHSS Hybrid FH/DSSS protocol with turbo . That should be just fine!!!!
Old 10-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Silent-AV8R

This is the replacement for 7C FASST.
Wow, that's news to me. you certainly appear to have the inside track with Futaba.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 PM
TimBle

well I was told by the rep that the 6J replaces the 6EX and  a new radio will replace the 7C next year. The T8J is now announced so it appears it is the 7C replacement.

or do yo beleive Futaba will be  selling

T6J
T6EX
T7C
T8J
T10C
T8FG
T12FG
T12Z
T14MZ
T18MZ

yip 10 different transmitters?!

Thats a lot of Stock keeping units to manage and RC is not big when compared to other passtimes is it...

If they realluy want to confuse their customers and drive people to other brands then they increase their range of non compatible radio transmissions systems. That is marketing suicide as others have mentioned.
I can only assume that they are in a transision phase. Keeping older radio's on the market till the new model range is complete before removing the older models from the pricelists and website.
This tactic is well known to me as I have used it before when I was Product Portfolio Manager for my previous employer. Taper down sales n old units while phasing in new units.

So do you wish to engage in discussion or just make sarcastic comments
Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 AM
MinnFlyer

I don't think they are replacements. They are more likely inexpensive alternatives.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 AM
TimBle

Compare the 6J and the 6EX.

6J has more features like 15 model memory vs 6 for the 6EX.
6J has failsafe on all channels, 6EX only on throttle

thats just twofeatures Why would you want to a 6EX for more money?

But I see your point. Futaba will continue to sell the 6EX till lackof demand kills it. However they are creating a reduced demand through offering what I condsider to be a superior radio for less cash.

they did it when they introdcued the 8FG as well. More features for much less money. They never called it a replacement but the amount of 8FG's popping up airfields vs 10C's is quite telling.
A couple of Hobyshops have 10C's that are effectivey deadstock but they've sold 10's of 8FG's over the last year.

ButI get your point, and the cynic in me agrees its not a replacement but a cheaper more capable alternative. :0
gotta love marketing speak
Old 10-17-2011, 05:09 AM
MinnFlyer

Why would you want to a 6EX for more money
Because the 6EX is FASST and the 8FG is not
Old 10-17-2011, 05:36 AM
pilotpete2

I too agree that the T6J and T8J are most likely the eventual replacements for the entry level 6EX and 7C transmitters, to add to TimBles points, the T6J also supports dual elevator servos, which the 6EX does not. The modelers considering a radio in the price range of the T6J are also considering receiver pricing. If my 8FG was currently capable of S-FHSS transmission, I'd be very happy to risk my "beater" 4 Star 60 with the full range 6 channel F-HSS receiver. The Futaba pricing on the 6 channel F-HSS receivers (full range and parkflier) beats the pricing on genuine Spektrum receivers by 15 bucks in both examples. As long as there is an upgrade path (8FG[8D]) for someone considering these new radios, then I would not hesitate to suggest these radios to someone just entering the hobby. I think that there probably is a another market to consider with the lower cost S-FHSS protocol, think Link N' fly I doubt any marketing organization, such as Hobbico can continue to ignore this segment of the market.
Pete
Old 10-17-2011, 05:47 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Why would you want to a 6EX for more money
Because the 6EX is FASST and the 8FG is not

que? 8FGis not FASST? Its Frikken FASSTdude

I see the lok in a propective new RC pilots evrytiem I wlak into a hobbyshop. They want a Futaba because they read its the best 9on these very forums.
Then they see the price vs the features of a 6EX but can't stretch to a 8FG...

they end up buying another brand and from there its hard to win them back.
the 6eX AND 7c are anchor chains in the Futaba family. Neither can offer anything other than FASST to a newbie.
Lets face it, the gysthe 6EX and &c got onto the Futaba brand have moved on. They're flying8FG or 12FG or even 14MZ's now.
Futaba needs to be appealing to a new generation of people lookinf for more for less.The 6EX and 7C just don;t cut it anylonger.

The tactic is to get the newbie to buy up eventually. By having the 8FG and higher radio's compatible with FHSS Futaba does not loose them. It gives them an upgradepath. 6EX and 7C are dead in the water. Dinosaurs about to be retired
Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 AM
pilotpete2

Holy Bat Guano!!! I just scrolled through some more of the photos in the link that was posted. There is a shot of the new R7008SB FASSTest receiver that will be shipping with the 18MZ. That is one tiny receiver for a full 8 channels of normal servos without getting into S-Bus. Now, how much
Pete
Old 10-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I don't think they are replacements. They are more likely inexpensive alternatives.

THis is my take on it as well. I have no special inside information, just my impression.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 AM
MinnFlyer

que? 8FG is not FASST? Its Frikken FASST dude
My typo, I meant the new T8J
Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well I was told by the rep that the 6J replaces the 6EX and a new radio will replace the 7C next year. The T8J is now announced so it appears it is the 7C replacement.

or do yo beleive Futaba will be selling

T6J
T6EX
T7C
T8J
T10C
T8FG
T12FG
T12Z
T14MZ
T18MZ

yip 10 different transmitters?!

Thats a lot of Stock keeping units to manage and RC is not big when compared to other passtimes is it...

If they realluy want to confuse their customers and drive people to other brands then they increase their range of non compatible radio transmissions systems. That is marketing suicide as others have mentioned.
I can only assume that they are in a transision phase. Keeping older radio's on the market till the new model range is complete before removing the older models from the pricelists and website.
This tactic is well known to me as I have used it before when I was Product Portfolio Manager for my previous employer. Taper down sales n old units while phasing in new units.

So do you wish to engage in discussion or just make sarcastic comments
Are all of these permutations of 2.4 - intended for a worldwide market ? Will they all be offered in the USA?
In the case of the Spektrum DSM- then DSM2-I saw a lot of confusion at entry level -even tho only one tx and one rx was involved. Some guys thought this was a bad deal-
The JR radio sales are likely to get mired in the same sea of incompatible systems- Us models plus the other 2.4 systems
Odd that both Futaba and JR would try to ramp up offerings to a market where clearly the trend is to smaller models inc the sub miniature Bind n Fly types - Even Hobby King has done a copy of those little rx n servosThe trend appears obvious.
It will be interesting to see how this all sorts out

The fact that a very good rf link is pretty well defined/ in operation and available makes me wonder what is going on. Variety ? is that what this is all about?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: rmh

The fact that a very good rf link is pretty well defined/ in operation and available makes me wonder what is going on. Variety ? is that what this is all about?
Cost. The S-FHSS is a lower cost piece of equipment. Still works great but costs less to make and has a few less features. Perfect for entry level and sport fliers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.