Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Odd Servo Problem

Old 11-03-2011, 05:43 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Servo Problem

I was testing 4 servos. Two of them don't work on channel 2 of my receiver, the other two do. Those two that don't work on channel 2, will work on any of the other channels. All four servos are the same make and model. I also tested a completely different servo on channel 2 and it worked normally. If anybody has any ideas of why those two servos don't like that specific channel, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Specifics:
Tx: Airtronics RDS8000
Rx: 92824/92664 (same issue with both)
Servos: Exi D122F
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Odd Servo Problem

Well considerintg that they can be had for as little as $7.00 and some cents I am not surprised. Beware of those cheap items from the far east.

Karol
Old 11-03-2011, 07:30 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The pulse on channel 2 might be slightly smaller than the other channels.
Did you try to clean the plugs on the servos and channel 2?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amplitude of the pulse may be the problem. You may be on the very edge of the servo capability and some work and some don't. Two servos on the output may be enough to load the receiver output.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

The pulse on channel 2 might be slightly smaller than the other channels.
Did you try to clean the plugs on the servos and channel 2?
No I didn't. I could give that a shot.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Isaiah 40:31

Short story made long: Many, many years ago, when I was a young teenager, I horded all the R/C magazines I could get my hands on. Even when we had a youth event for the young people of my club, they were giving away tons of free R/C stuff. Well, I snatched up all the magazines, instead of the odds and ends of plane parts.

Well, literally just 2 nights ago, I was repairing a Gentle Lady glider that I'd let lie dormant for years. I had a similar problem: when I plugged the servo into the receiver of my (VERY OLD Futaba AM Attack4) it seemed that only the elevator channel was working, and maybe one other channel. I figured that since I'd let the radio sit for so many years, that it was likely just expired now, and that was it. I was even sitting there for few minutes contemplating dissecting it. (I really enjoy seeing the innards of dead electronics). Instead, I took the radio out, unplugged the receiver, got up to walk over and throw the whole thing in the garbage when it struck me....

One of these magazines that I'd read oh-so-many years ago (actually it was likely in more than one of them) had mentioned that sometimes the servo reversing switches got gummed up, or corroded, and would cause havoc on the operation of the servos. The solution was to simply slide the servo reversing switches back and forth several times, and voila! your servos would be fine again. So, highly doubting that would help in this case, I plugged the radio back in, and tried it...

I now have a radio that is working superbly, as it always had! All four channels working flawlessly!

So if you have MECHANICAL servo reversing switches, toggle them a few times and see what happens!

Let us know what works for you!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad you got your radio working, but that is a solution that applies to many of the electronic /electrical based stuff in our hobby, like my old Accu Cycle charger, as I sometimes have to cycle the slide switches several times to get a good contact when it has not been used for awhile.

Karol