Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

4 cell transmitter question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Gypsy56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 cell transmitter question

I've been flying for about 35 years and all of my transmitters have always used 8 cell battery packs. Now I'm seeing a lot of new models designed for 4 alkaline batteries. Can these put out as much power (range)? I don't know a whole lot about electronics but I feel like range would suffer. Are these units just for short range parkfliers and such? Some examples are Futaba 6J and Spektrum DX5e. What do you think? Or more importantly, what is your experience?

Thanks
Ed
Old 11-05-2011, 05:33 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 4 cell transmitter question

It's a difference in electronics. The old analog radios needed 12 volts to transmit a decent signal and get good range. The new 2.4ghz units don't need as much power, and seeing as digital circuits don't like high voltages(Unless they're specifically designed at the chip level to accept it they prefer 5VDC), 6 volts is more than enough.

It has nothing to do with range. My DX5e is a full-range transmitter, but only uses four AAs. With surface radios the difference is even more pronounced, our 2.4G radios, most of which only require four cells, have as much range as plane radios while our FM and AM units might have half as much.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:35 AM
JIMF14D

I had a Spektrum DX6I with 4 batteries. Never a range problem and batteries lasted for weeks without recharging. Just be sure you have quality batteries and keep and eye on TX charge level. Proper RX batteries are really the key to reliable 2.4GHZ system operation.

Not to worry.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yup, the voltage requirements of the components is coming down so no use toting around extra batteries and stepping down the voltage internally.

Get eneloops and a charger from wallymart.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Gypsy56

OK, I think I understand now, modern electronics can do the same job on less voltage. So I should'nt have any range problems?
Anyone have experience with the Futaba 6J with its internal antenna?

Thanks for your answers
Ed
Old 11-08-2011, 06:49 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, you shouldn't. Should get out-of-sight range as long as the receiver is adequately powered.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I reviewed that system, I installed it in a 2M glider and was thermaling as high as I could see it.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 AM
pilotpete2

There has been some discussion on another forum, where someone used the replacement internal antenna from the T6J in another 2.4Ghz transmitter. In this case the internal antenna seemed to have greater range. It may be due to the fact that the internal antenna in the T6J has what is called a sleeve balun added that improves the radiation pattern somewhat. As always, do a proper range check with any new radio setup
Pete