Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Did Hitec drop the ball??

Old 11-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Superdad1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did Hitec drop the ball??

Read here............http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...39756&page=203
Old 11-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Superdad1

Default RE: Did Hitec drop the ball??

Replace astrix with f l y i n g g i a n t s
Old 11-26-2011, 02:03 AM
aussiesteve

I believe the answer to your question is a firm YES. But I also believe they began to drop it a long time ago.

I had a couple of Optic 6 TX's in about 2004 / 2005. They were the early versions of them Great programming, user friendly but the hardware on them, especially the cases was total junk. When I mentioned it on line, I got hung drawn and quartered by their reps. I also had an Eclips 7 around the same time (My sons had the Optics, I had the Eclipse) that also had a bad case. Again, I was bagged when I mentioned it.

My resolve at that time was to buy a different brand of radio to replace those ones and I ran my tractor over the HiTecs. I have a few 79xx series servos in some smaller planes (fun flyer 50 cc'ers) but as they get crashed or retired, the servos get retired with them. I am very unlikely to ever buy the brand again unless total ownership and company representation changes. Even then it would only be after people I respect have trialled the product long enough for it to be considered worthy.

I guess what we are seeing is the cost of low price attitudes ofmr customers and the competition also largely aiming for low price with the various "cheapy imports". I can't see an improvement until those things change.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Jezmo

I've seen the quality go down too Steve. I just found another brand that works very good, at least when new. The Heli guys at our field use them and that's where I learned about them. I am not going to mention the name until I have put some hours on them because I don't want to put in a plug for an item that is unproven in my eyes. I have a bunch of Hitec 7955TG and 7985MG servos and most (but not all) have developed the dreaded "Jitter". I have a set of 5955TG's and 5985MG's that have hundreds and hundreds of flights on them and have literally been through several sets of gears without any "jitters" or any other anomaly. The motors and electronics still work great in them.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

I felt that Hitec dropped the ball when they walked away from Multiplex and thought they could replace the brand with theie A9.

Yes, I fly an Aurora 9, and still have my Evo12, and the Evo is still my favorite radio.
I lost the love for Hitec when that happened and I don't think I'll ever get it back. If Multiplex is dead to the American market (it is because they won't certify their 2.4ghz modules here), then I no longer have a brand loyalty and will easily be swayed to another brand at some point.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:29 AM
karolh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sent you a PM.

Karol
Old 11-26-2011, 11:03 AM
JCINTEXAS

About the new brand of servos you are using.
I understand why you are not ready to recommend them...
However...does this brand begin with the letters SA?
I'm using these and they really look good.
Best regards
JC
Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Andika

ORIGINAL: Superdad1

if you wanna hide FG links go here http://tinyurl.com/
of course I wont buy Hitec CRAP stuff never again...hello Shawnlh http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1545586

Old 11-30-2011, 05:06 AM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

About the new brand of servos you are using.
I understand why you are not ready to recommend them...
However...does this brand begin with the letters SA?
I'm using these and they really look good.
Best regards
JC
OK you busted me JC, take care bud. Oh yeah, so far they are performing as good or better than anything else I own. I'm real impressed with centering and can feel that flying. The only thing I had up to this point that centered as well were the 79xx Hitecs. We all know how that story ends....
Old 12-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Rom

It is hard for me to support Hitec, when they do not support my Evo 9 2.4Ghz in the US. I understand the financial decisions made. How do I know they are not going to walk away from Hitec Radios. Today's systems are a commitment that goes beyond the Transmitter. When you purchase 10 or 20 RX's plus Telemetry gear you have an investment in that company. No worries in this case the grass is greener elsewhere.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I really liked the Multplex radio's and will not soon forget what Hitec did. It will be a looooong time before I trust them again
Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Jezmo

As is talked about in the Giants thread on Hitec servos "jittering" they can be fixed so they are reliable. It just doesn't seem Hitec is willing to go the extra mile and do the right thing. Heck any company can have a problem once in a while, it's how you handle those problems for your customers that makes the difference. The fix is not extremely difficult for those with a bit of electronics skill. A little soldering is about all that is required beyond taking the servo apart for access to the pot and motor. The 59xx servos were extremely good servos, the 79xx servos not so much.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 AM
captinjohn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Andika

ORIGINAL: Superdad1

if you wanna hide FG links go here http://tinyurl.com/
of course I wont buy Hitec CRAP stuff never again...hello Shawnlh http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1545586

I will buy Hitec servos for sure. They are real good about testing and replacing servos that do not seem to work right. They was the only ones that ever replaced anything for me. I would re-think that statement you made. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 12-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Pippin

I got rid of all my Hitec servos. They ruined some nice Sunday afternoons. Nice to have a replacement back quickly. But nowadays I love the Sundays at the field w/o Hitec servos.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 PM
karolh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be the first to admit that any brand of servo can fail, but so far none of my Futabas have done so, whereas the set of Hitecs I had almost cost me a model, and it was only sheer luck that saved it.

Karol
Old 12-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Jezmo

I have had 3 servos fail catastrophically in the last 10 years. All 3 resulted in crashes. One was on the throttle and occurred at a very inopportune time, the other two were both on the rudder and went full deflection (50 degs - both were on Extras) leading to a crash. Even though the planes were placed into a "slip", upon arriving at the landing and being unable to correct the "slip", they tumbled on contact with the ground and were destroyed. The servos were different brands (major brands) and just shows any servo can fail. One was on it's 6th flight so was fairly new, one was still relatively new (less than 25 flights) and the third had over 200 flights. That's not necessarily high though as I have servos with more than 500 flights and still work great.

I once had great confidence in Hitec but alas they "dropped the ball".