Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

General Info on RC Radios

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 06:09 AM
ranchpig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Info on RC Radios

I've been reading a lot of these posts and I'm still a bit lost. Is there any Radio Basics websites or books that give a beginner an overview of all these complicated frequencie requirements and such.

I thought i was just gonna jump in but this is a bit of a study and i'd like to do it right
Old 08-24-2003, 06:27 AM
Lynx

It is a lot of study ranch, but not because it's complicated, it's a lot of study because there is no concise reference. I'll see if I can give you a lowdown in less than a full page.
72MHZ is for flying, 75MHz is for ground, 50MHz is for either but you have to have an Amateur radio operator license to use it legally. Other frequencies are used for toys but that's pretty much it for serious work. You can buy transmitters and receivers from 3 channels to 12 (Most commonly 3-8)

The radio's send the position signals as 1-2 ms pulses of energy. 1 being far left, 2 being far right. Each pulse is sent one after another, channel 1 first, then 2 etc.. etc.. till the last channel then a frame pause is done (A pulse longer than any servo pulse could ever be) just to give the receiver an idea of where to start.

ALL new hardware follows these rules, older equipment may operate slightly differently (gold sticker requirement on older stuff) But if you buy it new that's it in a nutshell. EVERYTHING else is just how those signals are manipulated and used.

If you have any specific or general question feel free to ask, I love answering the more fundamental questions like how things work, and pretty much everyone else here will give you their opinion on what brand type or flavor of hardware works best for them.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:24 AM
ranchpig

I actually found a great "newbie" link

http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/

It covers quite a bit and it beginner friendly
Old 08-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another good tutorial is at www.torreypinesgulls.org/Radios.htm
Old 08-24-2003, 05:57 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Lynx
if you buy it new that's it in a nutshell.
Cool Lynx, must admit I had my doubts starting to read your post if you could fit all the major caveats in four short paragraphs but you did.

And Ranch don,t be shy about asking here about the hundreds of small details.

John