Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX6i ... is it sufficient?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
egenesis1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX6i ... is it sufficient?

I am finally coming back to RC hobby but realized things has changed quite a bit. I still have a hitec optic 6 72 mhz radio, still works great however I am planning on moving to 2.4 Ghz system. Is DX6i a good radio? When I say good, I mean dependable and good programming features.I am mostly in helis, 4-5 channel aircrafts and may be some basic quadrocopters. What do you all suggest? If there is something better under $200 range, please suggest. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DX6i ... is it sufficient?

ORIGINAL: egenesis1

I am finally coming back to RC hobby but realized things has changed quite a bit. I still have a hitec optic 6 72 mhz radio, still works great however I am planning on moving to 2.4 Ghz system. Is DX6i a good radio? When I say good, I mean dependable and good programming features. I am mostly in helis, 4-5 channel aircrafts and may be some basic quadrocopters. What do you all suggest? If there is something better under $200 range, please suggest. Thank you.
Within the price range you quoted, you could be fine with the DX6i and a 5 channel plane. With a Heli, it all depends upon what kind you want to fly. If it is a less complicated Dual Rotor Heli, you may be OK, but if you want a more aerobatic Heli with a single set of Rotor Blades, you may want a better radio.

Hobby King is selling some very inexpensive 9 channel radios that might fall into your price range and handle both Fixed Wing and Heli's.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a look at the Airtronics line. AlsoI always suggest when someone asks a question such as yours that theytake some time and read through the
various forums and see what is being said about the available radios on the market. As for Hobby King if you do a search on them here at RCU I think
you will find a lot of folks have had problems with them. In the end do some research and then make up your mind.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

If your optic 6 is modular, you could pick up the Hitec 2.4 GHz module for it - and you're already familiar with how to operate that one.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

If your optic 6 is modular, you could pick up the Hitec 2.4 GHz module for it - and you're already familiar with how to operate that one.

Good point they are modular.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 PM
egenesis1

Just ordered a DX6i, bunch of good reviews. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:56 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Optic 6 is a much more capable radio than the DX6i. I would have gotten a Hitec module for it. Hitec system gets very good reviews.

However based on your post you are probably out of memory slots on the Optic 6.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:18 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

What makes it more capable?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
aeajr

More mixing capability.  Among other things the Optic 6 has some entry level sailplane mixes.

I would consider the Optic 6 as a step up from the DX6i.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

They both have only two free mixes. The 6i has three dual rate switches, only two for the optic 6. Ten model memory for the 6i, only six for the optic 6. Would not get model match with the optic 6. Can be used with all the bind and flys from Horizon, optic 6 you can't. the6i is easier to program. I have both. The only step up I see is the sailplane functions.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Pippin

The DX6i is always a good choice. Although, the ATX SD-6G comes with three flight modes and two free mixers in each flight mode. All in all, you get six free mixes.

Another radio in the 6-channel class is the Futaba T6J S-FHSS. S-FHSS is cheaper than the standard Futaba FASST receivers.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 AM
E.Gerry

For a canard model can the DX6i be programmed to mix elevon on the wings with with elevator on the canard, to increase pitch control?
Thanks,
Gerry
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM
aeajr

Elevon implies you are using the wings as both elevator and aileron.  So I presume this is a flying wing or a delta wing, not a conventional tube and wing aircraft. 

We can tell you about mixing but I would have to wonder if you are asking the right question without seeing the aircraft.

But to answer, put the canard on another channel and us a user mix to get it to follow elevator commands. 

Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 PM
E.Gerry

Thanks for your input aeajr.
On the DX6i in elevon mode the left wing aileron servo goes in the AILE Rx socket and the right wing aileron servo goes in the ELEV Rx socket.
Amongst other things, I tried putting the canard elevator servo into the RUDD Rx socket and mixing ELEV to RUDD.
But then the canard elevator slavishly followed the right wing aileron servo which, of course has an aileron (roll) function as well as an elevator (pitch ) function.
So doesn't work as required.
Gerry
Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: E.Gerry

Thanks for your input aeajr.
On the DX6i in elevon mode the left wing aileron servo goes in the AILE Rx socket and the right wing aileron servo goes in the ELEV Rx socket.
Amongst other things, I tried putting the canard elevator servo into the RUDD Rx socket and mixing ELEV to RUDD.
But then the canard elevator slavishly followed the right wing aileron servo which, of course has an aileron (roll) function as well as an elevator (pitch ) function.
So doesn't work as required.
Gerry
You seem to be describing flapperon, not elevon. Again Iask what plane are you flying. Can you post a photo?

If you mix elevator to rudder, meaning elevator is master and rudder is slave then it should only respond to elevator commands regardless of what the right wing control surface does. Right and left aileron commands should have no effect.

Be sure you have not activated aileron/rudder mixing.

Before you engage the canard. Have you confirmed that your elevons are going in the proper directions for both aileron and elevator.

Please also confim that you are not accidentially using Vtail mix, which involves different channels.

If you mix elevator to rudder it should work. but, if not, try mixing aileron to flap. that would be a more compatible, more usual combo since both go up and down in a similar fashion.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM
E.Gerry

Thank you for your kind interest aeajr.
The model is the Cozy canard, a derivative of the Burt Rutan Long-EZ.
I can confirm both wing servos are working in the correct directions for elevon control, as in a flying wing.
What I want to do is input the canard elevator at the same time as the wing servos act as elevators, to increase the pitching control.
Will look for a photo.
Thanks,
Gerry
Old 01-29-2012, 03:23 PM
E.Gerry

Hope the photo appears!

Model of Cozy Mk 4.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98780.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1720768  
Old 01-29-2012, 05:17 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: E.Gerry

Thank you for your kind interest aeajr.
The model is the Cozy canard, a derivative of the Burt Rutan Long-EZ.
I can confirm both wing servos are working in the correct directions for elevon control, as in a flying wing.
What I want to do is input the canard elevator at the same time as the wing servos act as elevators, to increase the pitching control.
Will look for a photo.
Thanks,
Gerry
Your radio has an Elevon mix. The Left Elevon servo is connected to the Aileron channel and Right Elevon servo is connected to the Elevator channel. Normally, I would set up a Programmable Mix with Elevator as the Master and the Canard channel as the Slave. Your radio has two Programmable Mixes. With more advanced radios like the 9303, this would work. It sounds like you tried this with the Canard servo plugged into the Rudder channel. One problem with that choice is that the Canard would also move with the Rudder stick. The other problem was that when you mixed Elevator with Rudder, the Canard only moved with the Right Elevon (which is connected to the Elevator channel).

I have run into problems like this in the past. I had a Futaba 7AUPS. I set up a Programmable Mix so I could have Dual Elevators. The Elevator was the Master and Ch7 was the Slave. If I tried to mix anything to the Elevators, only the Elevator servo plugged into the Elevator channel responded. I had to buy a Futaba 8AUPS to solve my problem.

Sometimes you need more programming than your radio is capable of, which forces you to buy a more advanced radio.

http://spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files...anual_DX6i.pdf

Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 PM
aeajr

Good point about the canard moving with the rudder. How foolish of me.

So put it on channel 5, the gear channel and mix elevator to gear.  See how that works.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: aeajr

Good point about the canard moving with the rudder. How foolish of me.

So put it on channel 5, the gear channel and mix elevator to gear. See how that works.
With a radio like the 9303, you can Inhibit the Rudder channel so that when you mix it with something else, the Rudder stick does not affect the mix. The same is true with using the Gear channel in the mix. You have to be aware that the Gear switch will move your Canard servo, as well. It would be less likely to do by accident, but it still could happen.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:20 AM
E.Gerry

Thank you guys, I really appreciate you exploring my options.
I just think the DX6i cannot do what I want.
Out of interest, on a canard forum one of the contributors said he also mixed separate elevators on the canard to increase the roll rate, must have had a pretty sophisticated radio!
It looks like I shall have to improve the flying characteristics of the model or get myself a better radio.
Many thanks,
Gerry