Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Binding R617FS to 8FGS problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 04:15 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Binding R617FS to 8FGS problem

Having some trouble binding this RX with the TX. Ihave it set to a new model, Iturn on the TX turn on the RX, press the button on the RX, wait until the LEDblinks and release and it blinks a few times and goes solid, never turning green. Itried holding the button and same results, only it never stops blinking. Idon't see anything in the book that Ihave to do something like Ido with the DX6i where Ihold the trainer switch while turning it on. What am I doing wrong?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 AM
DougV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Binding R617FS to 8FGS problem

With Futaba you LINK the rx to the Tx.... change the mode to 7CH mode.

Doug.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Tfloyd
My Feedback: (6)

Make sure the FASST mode is set to "7CH" and not "MULT". You can change this by using the Touch Sensor to highlight "MULT" (from the Home Screen) then push the "RTN" button. Then select "MULT" and press "RTN". Use the Touch Sensor to select "7CH" then push "RTN". Press "S1" for 1 second to get to the home screen. The main screen should now show 7CH mode. To bind the receiver press the link button on the receiver for longer than one second at which point it should link up and everything will work fine. The R617FS receiver does not support the MULT FASST mode, only the 7CH mode. Take a look at the 8FG manual (page 10 in mine) and there is a chart showing receiver compatibility for the MULT and 7CH modes. Hope this helps - good luck.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 AM
acdii

Would have been nice if they would include a mini manual with the RX.  I will give it a try during lunch and see if it works.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they do include a manual with the Rx as well as the TX. The bind procedure is in both manuals, very explicitly laid out...

I assume that because you're typing here you can read and write....
Old 02-01-2012, 01:36 PM
acdii

The RX did not come with a manual. When you only have 3 hours a week to work on a plane, trying to figure out how to bind an RX to the radio based on the radio manual is a pain. I looked at the index and all it listed was the RX it came with and that was what I followed.  No where in the manual does it tell you how to set up the radio for using other types of RX.  As noted above, page 10 has a reference as to what mode the radio is to be set to for the different models, yet that's it, no other explanation on linking the RX.  Now that it has been described on what I need to do, on page 59 is where the mode is set. 

Why is the manual so F'd up?  Spektrum at least has a section on bind procedures for all RX. The Futaba has it for just one, and the RX came with a piece of paper that said, once the received is linked, turn it off and back on to verify it is still linked. That was it, nothing else was in the box except the warranty card.  

I looked on the page regarding the Link, and what should be on that page is a footnote regarding other rx models that use a different mode and reference the pages like 10 and 59. Would have saved me at least 45 minutes of me screwing with this thing. 
Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Tfloyd
My Feedback: (6)

ACDII was correct when he said the R617FX did not come with an instruction sheet. I received a new 8FG Super this week with the included receriver and an extra R617RS. The included receiver binding and high speed/standard speed instructions were included in the 8FG manual but the additional R617FS receiver I ordered only included warranty paperwork. I was already aware of the compatibility of 7CH and MULT receivers so was able to make the appropriate change in the Transmitter and bind the R617FS receiver to the 8FG. The transmitter manual does make reference to MULT and 7CH modes of operations for different receivers but if you don't understand what they are saying it doesn't make a lot of sense. In the end I think you will be much happier with the 8FG over the Spektrum but it may take a little time to get used to the different programming menus. If you get stuck drop me a note and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Take care
Old 02-01-2012, 05:41 PM
acdii

Thanks, the book is a bit confusing the way it is laid out.  I was able to get the RX linked, took all of 3 minutes once I knew what to look for in the book.  Thanks again, now I can install it in my plane next week and finish the install.

I did something different with the RX install. I got hook tape, which is stronger than Velcro, and used 5 minute epoxy on the side, and just before it setup, stuck the tape into it. It is not going to come off.  I then glued two pieces of the Golden Rod outer sleeve at 90* apart and fed the antennas through them so they stay at the correct orientation.  It took some effort to get the RX off the plane with that hook tape.  It is the same stuff used to mount Ipass units to the car windshield.  I think in 2 weeks I will have one popper plane ready to fly, then start on my other kit.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: acdii

The RX did not come with a manual. When you only have 3 hours a week to work on a plane, trying to figure out how to bind an RX to the radio based on the radio manual is a pain. I looked at the index and all it listed was the RX it came with and that was what I followed. No where in the manual does it tell you how to set up the radio for using other types of RX. As noted above, page 10 has a reference as to what mode the radio is to be set to for the different models, yetthat'sit, no otherexplanationon linking the RX. Now that it has been described on what I need to do, on page 59 is where the mode is set.
Why is the manual so F'd up? Spektrum at least has a section on bind procedures for all RX. The Futaba has it for just one, and the RX came with a piece of paper that said, once the received is linked, turn it off and back on to verify it is still linked. That was it, nothing else was in the box except the warranty card.
I looked on the page regarding the Link, and what should be on that page is a footnote regarding other rx models that use a different mode and reference the pages like 10 and 59. Would have saved me at least 45 minutes of me screwing with this thing.
When you buy a Tx with an Rx there is no instruction for the Rx included. Its all in the manual. Admittedly this is for the R6008HS RX when purchasing the T8FG(S).
The bind procedure is the same for all the Futaba Rx as you have discovered.

If you would like a R617FS manual I'll scan it in and email it to you. Its not too different from whats publishe for the R6008HS, in fact its simpler because there is no high speed mode present.

Yes the manual is not the best but there is enough information to get you started.

If you need assistance with programming it can be confusing coming from a Spektrum) then goolge Malcolm Holt+Futaba 8FG supplementary notes. The hit at the top of the page takes you too another Forum's thread on the 8FG. Search on Malcolm Holt in the thread and its will spit out a pdf that you can download and use in conjunction with the manual to explain what each Futaba programming feature does.

You will soon realise that programming a Futaba is a bit like programming some industrial machines. I think this is just part of the way they differentiate themselves from play toy radio's

Old 02-02-2012, 04:03 AM
DougV

Here you go: http://futaba8fg.wikidot.com/

Doug.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:31 AM
acdii

Thanks, I'll check them out when I get the time. One of the problems I had was lack of internet access where I build. I couldn't look anything up which frustrated me even more.  There really should be a section in the manual for other receiver linking, but after reading through it, it is mentioned in footnotes, and not really saying much either. The RX I had trouble with didn't come with the radio package, it was a freebie that I got when I bought the TX/RX package, they included the 7 channel rx. It was an off the shelf box, with no instructions, which I found odd, all the other RX I bought had too many books with them. 

And I thought Cisco documentation was bad. 
Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 PM
ton2di
My Feedback: (182)

acdii,

Look at the bright side. That's the only time you'll probably bind that R617FS to your 8FG radio. It would not unbind for a long time!!!

ton2di
Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
TimBle

actually I find the Futaba documentation to be more than adequate.
The manual could use a revamp with input from the Supplementary Notes Published by Malcolm Holt, but other than that I find the dcumentation almost overload.

AS Ton, said, you won't need to be rebinding that Rx again unless you get it reflashed due to crash damage or whatever. From now on its TX on, Rx on, range check, fuelcheck, servo check, model check. go fly.

One word of caution with any 2.4GHz Rx, ALWAYS BIND WITH A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY POWERING THE RX!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:00 AM
acdii

The manual is loaded with a lot of information, my only complaint is the order it is laid out in and it lacks clarity for some things.  The lack of a section for linking other receivers to it other than the one it comes with stands out. It's nice that it has that list on page 10, but it should also have a link to the page where you change the settings, and a note saying, if you have one of these receivers, go to page xx to make the changes, or something along those lines.  In fact if you look at the TOC it has no listing for linking receivers to it.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: acdii

Thanks, I'll check them out when I get the time. One of the problems I had was lack of internet access where I build. I couldn't look anything up which frustrated me even more. There really should be a section in the manual for other receiver linking, but after reading through it, it is mentioned in footnotes, and not really saying much either. The RX I had trouble with didn't come with the radio package, it was a freebie that I got when I bought the TX/RX package, they included the 7 channel rx. It was an off the shelf box, with no instructions, which I found odd, all the other RX I bought had too many books with them.

And I thought Cisco documentation was bad.
The Futaba 8C and 9C manuals were so bad that a couple of authors made a small amount of change publishing books on what Futaba left out, or poorly explained.
Rosemary Cross was one of the authors.