Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Used 14MZ thoughts?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 14MZ thoughts?

02/25/2012

Ok, I have always been a mid range TX user… My first TX was a World Engines 5 channel in 76, later a World Engine Expert 7 channel. Anyway I’m currently using a Futaba 10C that I bought new to replace my tried and true 8USuper that finally gave out after nearly 10 years of use…

So after all of that, I have been watching the “For Sale” listings and have seen a lot of 14MZ’s selling for between 1000 to 1500 dollars and have been considering buying one… This would be my first opportunity to buy a high end TX so I was wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions or concerns about a second hand 14MZ. I have had other second hand TX’s over the years with no real issues, I picked up a spare 8USuper once and the only thing it needed was to be sent in for a broken switch and some updates and it served me well for years but for a lot less money than I’m contemplating here… ;-)

Thanks for any feedback!

Ed “TX shopping” Harley
Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Default RE: Used 14MZ thoughts?

"This would be my first opportunity to buy a high end TX so I was wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions or concerns about a second hand 14MZ."

As always, et caveat emptor. I would pay by some method where I could recover, if things were NOT as promised.

" I have had other second hand TX’s over the years with no real issues"

I picked up a "never used" 8UAF once that the seller neglected to inform me that Channel 6 was dead, and the system had been jury rigged to make it look like all was well.

Les
Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Silent-AV8R

I would request the seller to send it in to Hobbico for service and check before buying one. This way you can rest easy that everything is as it should be with it. While at service I would ask to have them do a full reset to wipe all the old models, etc. so you have a clean slate to start with.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Hibrass

Les,

That sucks.. Were you able to have it fixed at least? In my case the seller was up front and I knew I was going to have to put a few bucks into mine. I will also keep the payment method issue in mind.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind the 14MZ is one of Futaba's highest end transmitters and contain the best quality components available. A trip through Futaba Service, either by the seller or you, will confirm the unit is equal to a new one with minimal or no cost.

I own two 14MZ's, one purchased when first introduced years ago, another last fall. The first was sent in for service last year due to the touch screen becoming difficult where it was replaced free of charge. While there all optical stick sensors (no electromechanical pots in these stick assemblies) were replaced with improved versions from Futaba, also at no charge. It was thoroughly checked and received the current system software update.

If I put them side by side you cannot detect any difference in appearance or operation.

$1000 to $1500 is a great price with the lower end being a real bargain. Most people who bought these things new take really good care of them and I have never seen one that was not pristine.

If the advertiser posts clear close up photos of the screen, check the lower left corner. The numbers there indicate the total time on the transmitter. Most I have seen have less than 100 hours on the clock.

Good hunting.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Hibrass

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

If the advertiser posts clear close up photos of the screen, check the lower left corner. The numbers there indicate the total time on the transmitter. Most I have seen have less than 100 hours on the clock.

Good hunting.
Great tip!

Thanks!

My normal habit with a 2nd hand TX has been to automatically send it in for a checkup.. It save me once, I had a 8U with the infamous short pin problem from way back... ;-)

Ed
Old 02-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Silent-AV8R

The timer can be easily reset or it can be displaying the model timer. So basically looking at the display timer does not really tell you much.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are pretty good that anybody willing to spend the money for a new 14MZ is going to take pretty good care of it. And the chances are pretty good that the only reason they are selling a 14MZ is because now they want the latest and greatest 18MZ. If they had the $pare ca$h to $pend on a brand new 14MZ in the fir$t place, then $pending lot$ more ca$h to upgrade to an 18MZ i$n't really going to be an i$$ue for them.

IMHO, if you can find a used 14MZ for about $1000, then you should jump on it. It's going to be a quantum leap over your 10C, especially the feel of the gimbals. After you've flown with a high end radio for awhile, you'll never regret buying it.

My second radio was a brand new "Made in Cincinnati" World Engines Expert 5 channel back in the mid 70's. It replaced a Heathkit GD-19 I built many years prior to that. A couple years later I bought a new WE Expert 7 channel. In their day, they were good radios. But those old WE Expert radios were dinosaurs compared to a Futaba 8UAF, and a used 14MZ is going make your 10C look and feel like a dinosaur. Get yourself a used 12FG, 12Z, or 14MZ. You won't regret it.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Hibrass

Dave,

That's what I'm hoping for... LOL

If I do find for around a grand I intend to jump on it...!

Thanks for the feedback!

So far I have been impressed to not hear of any really bad things to watch out for... Gotta love that!

Ed
Old 02-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

I've been buying and flying used mid to high end radios for the past 20 years, and never got burned with a bad one. The first was a 7UAF about 20 years ago. It worked perfectly and got me started on buying used radios. That led to buying a used 5UA, 7UAF, 7UAP, 7UAPS, 8UAF, 8UAP, 9CAF, 9ZAP, 12FG, DX7, and a 9303. They have all worked perfectly, and at a fraction of the cost of new ones.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

The timer can be easily reset or it can be displaying the model timer. So basically looking at the display timer does not really tell you much.
The pictured 14MZ that was for sale here recently shows 13:53:59. The advertiser said it had been recently serviced so it may have been reset as almost 14 hours total time is certainly low usage.

I may be misinformed but it is my understanding the total elapsed timer can only be reset at the service center.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12083.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	1731992  
Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

The pictured 14MZ that was for sale here recently shows 13:53:59. The advertiser said it had been recently serviced so it may have been reset as almost 14 hours total time is certainly low usage.

I may be misinformed but it is my understanding the total elapsed timer can only be reset at the service center.
Nope. User can reset it with the touch of the screen.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 AM
k_caller

As an owner of the MZ-14, I would go along with the other replies posted here- Go for it! At the end of the last season, I sent mine in to Futaba ( Robbe here in Germany) for a check-up to see what was going on with the touch sensitivity of the screen when adjusting trim and dual rates. Unfortunately, the warantie is only 1 year here so it cost me about 150$ fo the service but wow- they did a complete check, cleaning, upgrade etc. and I'm again looking forward to this coming season! So yeah, if you can get it in the alomost 1K range, then it would be worth it to send it in for a check-up for your confidence and peace of mind. While you're at it, send the receiver too!
Of course, it only cost a nickel more to go first class with the latest and greatest MZ-18 ! :-)
Good luck.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 AM
bem

Hi,

I have a 14MZ since 3 years back.

Things I check with a second hand 14MZ would be about this.

1. First, newer mean you will probably have the better LCD screen then was in the first years (I do not know exactly when the better LCD was starting to be installed from factory).
Better response and as I have understood little sharper.
But You still will have problem reading the LCD screen in bright sunshine (I wish 14MZ had the 18MZ brightness).

2. I use the heavy duty springs for the sticks so the sticks get little stiffer. I did not like the original softer springs.
I do not know if Futaba later installed from factory the stiffer springs in newer 14MZ.

3, The throttle stick travel is limited from factory (at least it was on mine) and I removed the travel stop to get full travel (and recalibrated).

4. Latest software is nice to have installed (You can see what latest version is on Futaba US homepage).

5. I use two transmitter batteries for my 14MZ since one will not be enough for a whole day flying.
I use Futaba original TX batteries but 3rd party (Sony) batteries are avaliable at lower price.

6. Transmitter balance is not good with 2.4 GHz module in use since the nack strap has mounting position and proper balance point for the ordinary metallantenna extended.
I tried a TX balancer but then the neck strap in TX came loose so I had to send it in to Futaba service center to get it tightened (almost whole radio had to be taken apart to get to the nut on inside).
I do not use TX balancer anymore because of that.

7. It canbe kind of steep learning curve to do more advanced programming of 14MZ but there are many excellent videos and also Futaba FAQ on US homepage that give many answers.
And since You have a Futaba 10C today You are familiar with Futaba systems.

8. I would also send it in to Futaba service center for check/service and install latest software (and if you prefer the stick travel modification and stiffer spring for sticks).
Maybe have theinternal small battery replaced also but it should last many years so probably not needed.
Older 14MZ has potentiometers that was not as good as in later transmitters. You may perhaps want Futaba service check that also.

9. Make sure the serial no is still thereunder the TX (You can also see it on screen in System menu, Information, ProductID). You probably need it in future for various situations.
Maybe register at Futaba Flyers Club require You supply TX serial no? I know Futaba Japan homepage has some download page that can only be accessed with help of TX serial no (but Futaba US homepage will have all downloads You should need so...).

Remember also that 14MZ TX is region coded so You can not (easily) change if needed from one region to another for example from US to Europe Yourself (it is possible to do Yourself with proper software but should be done by Futaba service center). For example the transmitter TM-14 2.4 GHz module is region coded so if You live in US You will have a US version (and I live in Europe/Sweden and have a TM-14 for my region). No Futaba recievers are region coded as You probably know so You can buy them anywhere in the world.

Whether receiver will be included in a second hand 14MZ I would not consider important. But it was probably R6014HS (there was also a R6014FS that in the beginning had some heat issues) shipped with the radio when it was new.

If You would prefer telemetry later with a 14MZ it will be possible since there is a LCD Telemetry-box (holder mounted in old antenna hole)or WIFI-box,and a new receiver R6308SBT (avaliable soon). But this wil add about US $370 and then You start to be close to price of18MZ when You compare a newer second hand 14MZ added with telemetry.

In some years 18MZ will be avaliable second hand at resonable price hopefully, then perhaps I would consider changing from 14MZ to 18MZ but to buy a new 18MZ today is little to much cost for me so I will have to wait. And my 14MZ cover all my needs today although I wished the LCD screen was brighter so it would be better to see in sunlight.

/Bo
Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 AM
Hibrass

Bo and K

Thanks for the feedback... I think the "Hunt" is about to begin!

Also Bo thank you for the list of items to watch for, very helpful!!

Thanks again!

Ed
Old 02-26-2012, 05:16 AM
btomlinson
My Feedback: (58)

I just sold my 14 on here for 1250.00 shipped. It was about 4 years old but low time and very well cared for. The other posters are correct, these high end radios are like buying a used Mercedes or Rolex,they are built using high end electronic components. Also, I wouldnt hesitate on the older screen,mine was never a issue. I did have the potenteometer upgrade done
If the seller has good feedback I wouldnt hesitate.

Here is a link to my ad : http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=825796
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 AM
bem

Hi,

The ad Brian have a link to show one difference regarding the sticks.
On his 14MZ the sticks has no external adjustment for tilt. It is an adjustment screw You can see there in edge of each stick, my 14MZ have that (see image of my 14MZ below where I made red arrows) and You can see that also on Futaba US homepage about 14MZ.

If You think You may need or like that tilt adjustment be aware of the difference between14MZ regarding this.

Also to help protect the LCD screen I use a screenprotector from http://www.rcscreenprotectors.com/in...Futaba14MZ.htm

/Bo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94182.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1732137  
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Hibrass

Bo,

Any idea when this option became available?

The more I read about this TX the less I seem to know... LOL

Thanks again,

Ed
Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 AM
btomlinson
My Feedback: (58)

Interesting Bo ... Ive owned two 14's and never noticed the difference
Old 02-26-2012, 07:07 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"That sucks.. Were you able to have it fixed at least? "

No. I stuck it on the shelf, for spare parts for my other two.

"Nope. User can reset it with the touch of the screen."

Different timers. The one that can be reset with a touch of the screen, is the individual flight timer. There is another, hidden, total "time on" timer. It can be reset, but the function is burried, and not easily accesable.

Les
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: btomlinson

Interesting Bo ... Ive owned two 14's and never noticed the difference

My 14MZ, purchased in February 2005, has the tilt adjustment.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

''Nope. User can reset it with the touch of the screen.''

Different timers. The one that can be reset with a touch of the screen, is the individual flight timer. There is another, hidden, total ''time on'' timer. It can be reset, but the function is burried, and not easily accesable.

Les
Go into the SYSTEM->DATE/TIME screen. Bottom middle "System Timer", you can select either "Model" or "Total" for the timer. Select "Total" and you can reset it. At least on mine you can, because I just did it a few times!!.

If there is yet another timer somewhere I am not aware of it. Can you tell me how to find it??
Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 AM
bem

ORIGINAL: Hibrass
Bo,
Any idea when this option became available?
The more I read about this TX the less I seem to know... LOL
Thanks again,
Ed
Ed,
Futaba 14MZ was released early in 2005.
Brian say his 14MZ is about 4 years old so that would be 2008 or so.
But I do not think it has with age of transmitter to do and this is why:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...tm.htm#2509517

That post was made in early 2005 when 14MZ was released and that 14MZ in the picture therehas the two screws for adjusting tilt of stick.

So I think You just have to keep your eyes open and see if the 14 MZ You are interested in have this or not.

And I see also now that Silent-AV8R posted his 14MZ from feb 2005 has tilt adjustment on the sticks.

/Bo
Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll start by saying you are considering purchasing something that is used, is that correct. If it is the rule of 60% applies to anything being sold in a used condition. Modelers always appear to want top dollar for things they wish to depart of. A new 14MZ sold for $1750 USD according to the market place and if this is the case than a used one should be priced at $700 USD. Find one you like and PM the seller with your offer. If the seller comes back with a counter offer consider waving the 60% rule. Your looking for a discount between 40-60 percent not 10 or 15 percent. It appears from looking at those transmitters sold during the last 12 months and there were 30 units that it is a buyers market. Good luck and take your time.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: flycatch
A new 14MZ sold for $1750 USD according to the market place and if this is the case than a used one should be priced at $700 USD.
New 14MZ is $2,300USD.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=JVE&V=FUT

Your "rule" of 60% would then make the price $1,380, not $700. In the end things are worth what people will pay for them, rules of thumb aside.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.