Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need some info for JR 642 radio

Old 08-29-2003, 03:06 AM
DoomsDay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info for JR 642 radio

Hi guys, When I was starting out in Helis I had bought a JR 642 air/heli radio and have since lost the manual for it.

I am in need of the following information if anyone can help me.

I am hunting for a manual for the 642 radio
Need to find a charging unit for it (I swear I lose more of those things then anything else)
And as my radio has set up ontop of my bed with my non flying heli for the last 5 years, the battery is completly gone. So I am in need of finding a replacement battery for it to.

Any help would be appreciated. I went to Horizons sight but it doesnt appear they have anything left for that model.

Thanks

DD
Old 08-30-2003, 09:04 PM
barrywhite

i have that radio too ...its a fantastic radio with a super rf output (1 watt) , its a nice feeling to have that power,,jr,s 6x seieis all have that output........keep it!!because more modern jr tradios have only about half that output..as for the manual you have to go to horizons support site they have the manual for the 652 which is nearly the same in pdf format. By the way does anyone know why more modern radios have lower otput powers!!!!...that makes me very curious
Old 09-01-2003, 04:36 AM
RCJones

Interstate batteries on Kings Dr. can make a battery pack for you. You can go to Nimh cells also
Old 09-01-2003, 05:05 AM
DoomsDay

Thanks. I downloaded the manual for the 652 and your right, it looks almost exactly like the 642 (from what I remember) so at least I can get that thing programed now. Actually I went to action hobbies and at the time didnt realize it, but they have batteries that will work in my radio. I thought the connectors were different but after I looked at it, they are the same.

Glad to see another charlotte person on here. I just bought me a GWS Tiger Moth and I am going to try and put it together this week. I still need to get a crystal for the reciever and action didnt have it, so I am going to have to order it. Seems not many folks use channel 17 on 72mhz =)

You know of any places to go fly around in charlotte? I found a little baseball field about 2 minutes from my house over off of little rock road. I figure that should be big enough for the tiger moth.

I will say, after opening up the box and seeing all these little parts I have to put together, hehe, I think this is going to be a challenge.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:07 AM
RCJones

Check out www.charlotteaeromodelers.org, that is the club I belong to. In fact our club meeting is tomorrow night at the field. One of the guys out there has the Tiger Moth. We will be eating and flying tomorrow. Its a bit of a ride from Little Rock Rd. but you might want to see what we are all about.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:34 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

It has not been my experience that newer JR radios have less output.

You may have had dud radio with a blown output or something. In fact, newer JR radios have the same RF board as the 642's and 652's did.

A radio with bad output should be sent in for a checkup.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:10 PM
barrywhite

Hi MO when i said that 642,652etc have ahigher output i didnt say so on the basis of a personal measurement, this is based on the tech notes provided in jr radios..in the first pages of there manuals...check it out ...the 642, 652 have approx 1 watt while the newer higher end radios have about half that..i assume that jr has been doing this assuming that the previous outputs where unnecessary.or overkill.....this is official data.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:13 PM
barrywhite

hey mo ..by the way is it normal that the antenna on my jr radio shas a liitle bit of loosenees ..i mean it seems that it isnt supported internally as firmly as my graupner?jr radios
Old 09-02-2003, 11:16 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

I don't care what the specs say on the literature, they have the same RF board and it is tuned the same way. The official specs must be bunk.

If your antenna feels loose there is something wrong. You may have a loose/broken antenna mount. Open the radio up and look it over. the antenna mount should be well soldered to large pads on the RF board. The nut should be tight against the lock washer on the antenna mount screw. It it has worked loose, tighten it. If the antenna mount has broken off the RF board, re-solder it. This damage is caused by dropping the radio on its antenna or the radio taking a hard hit against the antenna, such as bumping around inside a vehicle.

I don't know much about the JR/Graupner radios they are not sold over here in Missouri and I rarely see them.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:06 PM
barrywhite

Thanks MO ,i fixed my antenna as you suggested,im new to this forum but its great..ive been in this hobby for about 20 years but its fantastic to exchange knowledge with fellow modelllers...have u noticed that modellers all over the world are so nice and helpful witheachother and also enjoy spending their time toghether..wouldnt it be nice if us modellers ruled the world!!!hee hee it would be a more pacific and nice place i think....
Old 09-04-2003, 09:46 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

It surely is nice when us modellers are nice. Sometimes some of us are not so nice, so be warned. Feel free to ask any RC questions on RCU. Somebody is bound to know the answer.