Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Brushed ESC's, Waterproof?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 AM
brucestyves
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushed ESC's, Waterproof?

Are there any truly waterproof brushed ESC's out there? Just the nature of the electronics makes me think most manufacturers will tell you not to splash through a puddle, even though the ESC is supposed to be waterproof. Is a person just better off waterproofing the ESC themselves with liquid tape?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Brushed ESC's, Waterproof?

Since you are not specific of the application, I'd say this...... most ESCs need to cool off, and that is done thru airflow. If you do anything to disrupt that airflow, you will in fact cook the ESC and make it fail prematurely.

If you provide a little more information about your specific application, I'm pretty sure somebody can provide you with options.

Rafael
Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 AM
brucestyves

Some more detail.I am just running a Duratrax Evader, brushed motors, mostly Venom 13T and 15T, plus stock 20T since anything else is tough to come by any more with the advent of brushless. Looking at a couple 8 turn motors as well but haven't purchased due to ESClimits.

Just looking to know if there is an (economical) ESC out there that is truly waterproof out of the box, and warrantied to cover water related failures? The kicker is the need to handle the lower turn motors. I've found a couple that are waterproof (say they can be dunked in water), but they don't handle anything lower than 15 turns.

I actually have a Venom ESC(good down to 8 turns) that is stated to be waterproof, but am too nervous to run it in wet conditions for fear of failure (waiting for a reply from their customer service to get their definition of Waterproof).

We just want to know the best way to be waterproof so we don't fry the electronics, and don't want to just throw the ESC into a waterproof case because that would trap too much heat.

My brother in law fried his stock ESC when he acidentally ended up in a puddle, so I am helping him look for a replacement. Ultimately, we would both like to keep running our brushed set ups for a while before jumping into brushless/LiPO.

Hope this is enough background.

Thanks!!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

8T is hard on any ESC. Economical and 8T is virtually impossible. I still have a handful of new V90-1032/Opto's on the shelf. PM me if you're interested.

Andy
Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 AM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

you could dip the ESC in Corrision X. That will make it waterproof.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 AM
brucestyves

I've seen some online how-to's for using liquid tape to water proof, which requires popping the case open and sealing the board, which keeps the heat sinks from being covered. Is the Corrision X method similar?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Corrosion-X and The Stuph will make your servo leads brittle in a month or two.

I use 3M DP70 electronics grade potting epoxy. I think you can get a tube through www.offshoreelectrics.com if you need it. Yes, it's expensive, but I used it for years on the ESCs I manufactured and never had a single one returned due to water damage. Keep the FETs clean - you only need to cover the metallic parts with the stuff.

Andy