Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Buddy-Boxing: Futaba 6J (Teacher) w/Hitec Aurora (Student)?

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Buddy-Boxing: Futaba 6J (Teacher) w/Hitec Aurora (Student)?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy-Boxing: Futaba 6J (Teacher) w/Hitec Aurora (Student)?

I know I said Aurora, but I actually have a new Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro, but figured not many people would know that this uses the same 7.2V TX battery and same 'stereo-jack' training port as the Aurora.

Anyhow, I want to buddy-box with a...well...buddy who has a new Futaba 6J. Is this doable? I THINK that uses the older DIN jack...not the newer 'square' one... but I'm not sure.

And I'm still a little vague on how buddy-boxing functions; for my intended purpose, can I rig it where I...the student...uses MY Tx and my plane uses MY Rx, but his Futaba is the 'master? Or would we need to switch the Txs around so he uses the Hitec and/or would I need to use one of his Futaba receivers? And will I have a voltage problem? His uses 4 AAs (6V), where my Hitec is 7.2V.

Hitec has a cable set that has adapters to/from it's stereo jack to DIN, so I think I can connect the radios OK. But that doesn't necessarily mean they'll WORK together. We don't mind switching things around (me using his Tx, and/or me swapping my Hitec Rx with a Futaba one), but I need to know how to set this up...or if it will even be possible to train w/these two radios.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buddy-Boxing: Futaba 6J (Teacher) w/Hitec Aurora (Student)?

ORIGINAL: Deandome
I know I said Aurora, but I actually have a new Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro, but figured not many people would know that this uses the same 7.2V TX battery and same 'stereo-jack' training port as the Aurora.
Anyhow, I want to buddy-box with a, well...buddy who has a new Futaba 6J. Is this doable? I THINK that uses the older DIN jack...not the newer 'square' one... but I'm not sure.
And I'm still a little vague on how buddy-boxing functions; for my intended purpose, can I rig it where I...the student...uses MY Tx and my plane uses MY Rx, but his Futaba is the 'master? Or would we need to switch the Txs around so he uses the Hitec and/or would I need to use one of his Futaba receivers? And will I have a voltage problem? His uses 4 AAs (6V), where my Hitec is 7.2V. Hitec has a cable set that has adapters to/from it's stereo jack to DIN, so I think I can connect the radios OK. But that doesn't necessarily mean they'll WORK together. We don't mind switching things around (me using his Tx, and/or me swapping my Hitec Rx with a Futaba one), but I need to know how to set this up...or if it will even be possible to train w/these two radios. Thanks!
The Futaba 6J has the Futaba Mini square socket.
Voltage of the two transmitters does not matter as no power is transferred,
both must have their own battery pack but slave is not turned on.

Refer to Eclipse 7 Pro notes under
Aurora 9 - Trainer - Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up & Data Transfer Aurora 9<>Aurora 9.
&
Hitec Eclipse & Eclipse 7 Pro - All Manuals, Addenda, Quick Setup, CCPM and Additional Programming FAQ
". Eclipse 7 Pro Trainer / Buddy / Slave requirements and setup.
. subsequent post showing schematic of the Futaba mni square plug as master or slave.

See also sub Section "Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads. Flight Simulator & Interface." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)

Alan T.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANKS!!

That's a LOT to digest...but I'll certainly parse all the info thoroughly. But in anticipation of that, can you answer the following basic questions for me?

a) If the airplane uses the Hitec Rx, does that require that the Hitec radio be the 'master' & that I (student) would train using the Futaba Tx in my hands?

b) at first glance, the link(s) you provide (along with the info for the 58321 Hitec cable/adapter kit I'll be buying) discuss connecting an EIGHT cell radio with a SIX cell radio. But the Futaba 6J we'll be using is a FOUR cell radio, so how does that fit into all this? Assuming that the answer to a) is that the Hitec has to be the Master (which I think is the case), would the futaba need to be powered-up or powered-off?

Once I get the correct, basic configuration pictured in my head, digesting all your 'stuff' will be a lot easier for me.

Thanks again!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a) the receiver installed on the aircraft dictates which radio is the master. In your case, the receiver is a Hitec, so the master is the Hitec radio and the slave is the Futaba radio.

b) I'm not familiar with the Futaba training system. On JR radios, the radio powers itself up when the training cable is plugged in. On some other radios, you go to a menu option, select training mode and the radio itself asks you to power off. This is all to prevent the RF circuit from energyzing and transmitting a signal.

Hope that helped a bit.

Rafael
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Deandome THANKS!!
That's a LOT to digest...but I'll certainly parse all the info thoroughly. But in anticipation of that, can you answer the following basic questions for me?
a) If the airplane uses the Hitec Rx, does that require that the Hitec radio be the 'master' & that I (student) would train using the Futaba Tx in my hands?
b) at first glance, the link(s) you provide (along with the info for the 58321 Hitec cable/adapter kit I'll be buying) discuss connecting an EIGHT cell radio with a SIX cell radio. But the Futaba 6J we'll be using is a FOUR cell radio, so how does that fit into all this? Assuming that the answer to a) is that the Hitec has to be the Master (which I think is the case), would the futaba need to be powered-up or powered-off?
Once I get the correct, basic configuration pictured in my head, digesting all your 'stuff' will be a lot easier for me.
Thanks again!
a) Yes, the receiver in use must be controlled by the master.
If it were a Futaba transmitter with a module, then user could transfer the module
froma modular Hitec Tx into the Futaba Tx, does not apply to either in this instance.

b) As in previous post #2above, using the correctHitec cables
"Voltage of the two transmitters does not matter as no power is transferred,
both must have their own battery pack, to power their internal boards but
slave is not switched on " Simply inserting the trainer plug provide power to
the required circuitry forslave purposes.

Much more information under sub Section
"Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads. Flight Simulator & Interface." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)

Alan T.