Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help with My First Purchase

Old 04-28-2012, 07:27 PM
CPTOZZY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with My First Purchase

I am getting back into RC Aircraft after several years.I previously had flown some high wing trainers but I sold all my equipment when I took a Job several years ago which has taken me overseas frequently.I currently have the Realflight 6 Sim which I practice regularly on, and a “Toy” indoor Coaxial Helicopter, but I am essentially a complete beginner in both Fixed and Rotary wing.I am currently Living In Seoul, South Korea, so I have no practical access to an RC Club or Hobby Shop – All my purchases will be online.I will be moving back to the USA in about 6 months, but due to my current Urban location my selection of aircraft will be limited to micro/very small fixed and small rotary wing.
I am anxious to get back into RC.I know my most important expenditure will likely be my Transmitter.Here are my consderations for that purchase:
1) I want quality and expandability.I don’t want to end up buying a new transmitter with each Aircraft I progress to.
2) I am interested in both Fixed and Rotary wing.
3) I am prepared to spend up to, But not over $500 for a Transmitter
4) The transmitter must be able to handle Micro to large Aircraft.
5) As I have no access to a RC Club or Hobby Shop I must be able to Purchase the transmitter and allied components on-line.
6) Availibility and cost of compatible allied components (servo’s, recievers, batteries etc.) is important.I am willing to pay a bit more for quality but I don’t want to be stuck paying ridiculous amounts for servo’s etc.
7) I would like a Transmitter that can Bind to my Realflight – 6 Sim – Although that is not a show-stopper.
I am currently leaning toward Futaba 7C or 8FG system. I had a Futaba system years ago and I believe the quality is good and availability for the transmitter and allied components online is good. It appears that programmability in the systems like the 8FG versus the 7C may warrant the Extra $$. In Web surfing I have come across several micro and small park aircraft, however all the ones I have found seem to be bundled with Spektrum Transmitter.However In my researchI have read several negative comments from Spektrum users.I have also heard about HiTec (from this site) but I haven’t found much on-line about this brand
1. Are my concerns about Spektrumlegitimate?
2. Given that I am a beginner , If I go with the more programmable system (like Futaba 8FG over the 7C) will I get my money’s worth, or will the additional computerized functionality the 8FG be ‘Obsolete’ by the time I am proficient enough to appreciate the difference?
3. If I go with the Futaba (or non-Spektrum) transmitter, can I find micro and small park aircraft and Heli’s to fly while I’m Here?
4. Are there stand alone micro/small Aircraft heli Websites you can recommend?
5. Are there any English speaking Flyers on this Board who live Here in Seoul?My Korean is not proficient enough to discuss the technical aspects of flying.
6. Should I just wait the 6-12 months until I get Back to the States (I’m not sure the 6-year old boy in me can wait !)
Thanks
CPT Ozzy
Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Help with My First Purchase

ORIGINAL: CPTOZZY

I am getting back into RC Aircraft after several years. I previously had flown some high wing trainers but I sold all my equipment when I took a news Job several years ago which has taken me overseas frequently. I currently have the Realflight 6 Sim which I practice regularly on, and a “Toy” indoor Coaxial Helicopter, but I am essentially a complete beginner in both Fixed and Rotary wing. I am currently Living In Seoul, South Korea, so I have no practical access to an RC Club or Hobby Shop – All my purchases will be online. I will be moving back to the USA in about 6 months, but due to my current Urban location my selection of aircraft will be limited to micro/very small fixed and small rotary wing.
I am anxious to get back into RC. I know my most important expenditure will likely be my Transmitter. Here are my consderations for that purchase:
1) I want quality and expandability. I don’t want to end up buying a new transmitter with each Aircraft I progress to.
2) I am interested in both Fixed and Rotary wing.
3) I am prepared to spend up to, But not over $500 for a Transmitter
4) The transmitter must be able to handle Micro to large Aircraft.
5) As I have no access to a RC Club or Hobby Shop I must be able to Purchase the transmitter and allied components on-line.
6) Availibility and cost of compatible allied components (servo’s, recievers, batteries etc.) is important. I am willing to pay a bit more for quality but I don’t want to be stuck paying ridiculous amounts for servo’s etc.
7) I would like a Transmitter that can Bind to my Realflight – 6 Sim – Although that is not a show-stopper.
I am currently leaning toward Futaba 7C or 8FG system. I had a Futaba system years ago and I believe the quality is good and availability for the transmitter and allied components online is good. It appears that programmability in the systems like the 8FG versus the 7C may warrant the Extra $$. In Web surfing I have come across several micro and small park aircraft, however all the ones I have found seem to be bundled with Spektrum Transmitter. However In my research I have read several negative comments from Spektrum users. I have also heard about HiTec (from this site) but I haven’t found much on-line about this brand
1. Are my concerns about Spektrum legitimate?
2. Given that I am a beginner , If I go with the more programmable system (like Futaba 8FG over the 7C) will I get my money’s worth, or will the additional computerized functionality the 8FG be ‘Obsolete’ by the time I am proficient enough to appreciate the difference?
3. If I go with the Futaba (or non-Spektrum) transmitter, can I find micro and small park aircraft and Heli’s to fly while I’m Here?
4. Are there stand alone micro/small Aircraft heli Websites you can recommend?
5. Are there any English speaking Flyers on this Board who live Here in Seoul? My Korean is not proficient enough to discuss the technical aspects of flying.
6. Should I just wait the 6-12 months until I get Back to the States (I’m not sure the 6-year old boy in me can wait !)
Thanks
CPT Ozzy
I flew Futaba for many years but switched to JR/Spektrum when 2.4Ghz first became available. I have not had any reason to doubt that JR/Spektrum is any less reliable than any of the other major players, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, etc.

Horizon markets JR/Spektrum as well as a number of fine aircraft choices such as Hangar 9, Eflite, Parkzone, etc. Any JR/Spektrum transmitter will operate any JR/Spektrum receiver, from the Micro to 12 channel (except for the new JR DMSS radios). Spektrum has released the new DX8, DX10T, and soon to be released DX18, all with various Telemetry modules. They have a large array of Bind and Fly aircraft, such as from Park Zone, which will work with any JR/Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX transmitter.

Futaba has a number of fine radio models. Their 8FG is actually capable of 14 channels, two of which are switches. They have a 12ch, 14 ch, and 18 ch, in their new lineup. Great Planes offers a module known as Anylink, that can be connected to the Trainer port on Futaba transmitters as well as a number of other manufacturer's radios. The purpose is to offer Transmitter Ready park flyer type aircraft. The Tactic receivers are not compatible with Futaba's other FASST, FASSTEST, and FHSS-S (6J and 8J) transmitters. There are Tactic transmitters that will work with the Tactic receivers that Anylink is compatible with.

Hitec offers the Aurora 9 radio that boasts a couple of RF Modules that allow it to transmit on 72Mhz and 2.4Ghz. There are 6ch, 7ch, and 9ch Rx's.

Airtronics, another big name, offers the RDS8000 and the SD10G radios.

I believe that Spektrum has the largest variety of receivers for any conceivable project.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 PM
chuckk2

The 8FG seems to be a current favorite.
That aside, there are bound to be different technical rules for RC transmitters in Korea. You need to find out what they are, and how that may change
your druthers.

Just about any of the better known 8Ch transmitters can be a good choice.
The current versions of the 8FG are even expandable.
Remember that transmitters have output channels and various types of input "channels" (or input controls, such as joysticks, pots, switches)
Next there are different ways to tie the input controls to the output channels, loosely referred to as mixing.
The differences in this area from one transmitter to another can easily make a big difference to you.
Ease of "programming" is just one of the major considerations. Poor or incomplete documentation is another.

At some point in the future (near if I'm guessing correctly) The major mfrs will start offering P/C based programs that
will make programming an R/C transmitter easier, in terms of utilizing "advanced capabilities" that are present, but hard to
access and use from the current front panel programming schemes. Undoubtedly, this will start with the high end units, and then migrate to the
lower cost higher volume units, such as the 8FG, or perhaps the Spectrum DX8.
Just about any transmitter that stores setups on a removable memory card will be a candidate.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 PM
CPTOZZY

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I flew Futaba for many years but switched to JR/Spektrum when 2.4Ghz first became available. I have not had any reason to doubt that JR/Spektrum is any less reliable than any of the other major players, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, etc.

[/quote]

Why did you switch from Futaba? Was Spektrum the first to offer the 2.4 Ghz?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:17 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: CPTOZZY

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Why did you switch from Futaba? Was Spektrum the first to offer the 2.4 Ghz?
[/quote]

My last Furaba radio was a 9CAP. While it was an advancement over my 8AUPS, the 9th channel was only an On/Off switch and required the more expensive PCM receiver to get that 9th channel. JR came out with it's XP9303. It ha 9 Proportional channels, with either PPM or PCM, Flaps on a switch, Flight Modes, and it was also Modular, like the 9CAP. I could use a Synthesized 72 Mhz RF Module and even a Synthesized PCM Rx. When Spektrum came out with it's 2.4 Module, I had. 2.4 on 9 channels, with my XP9303, but only 8 channels with my 9CAP. The XP9303 was hands down a much better transmitter. I still have and use two XP9303's for the past 5 years. Never a problem with Flat Foamies to Turbine Jets. Many of my fellow club members have JR and Spektrum radios. I just bought a DX8 with Telemetry.

Futaba eventually came out with 2.4 radios that were priced the same with equal performance, but most of us had too much invested in JR/Spektrum. We fly everything with the same radios.

You can go with any radio manufacturer and be happy. With 2.4, except for some Chinese Clones, the Rx's are Proprietary, so you can only use a JR/Spektrum Tx with a JR/Spektrum Rx, for exampl. The sane is true for the other brands.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 AM
RogerParrett

Hi CPT Ozzy.

If I suddenly found myself having to start over, and in an environment that limited the size of my aircraft to micro/mini fixed and rotary wing... I'd go with Spektrum. And probably the DX8.

Why? Because Spek just about owns the Bind 'n Fly (BnF) market. You can get helis, airplanes, and even gliders with Spek RX's already installed. Of course, you can also get "Plug and Play" - where you provide your own RX and use your existing TX, but for shear ease of use, you just about can't beat BnF.

Incidently, the DX8 is a very nice TX, and has enough bells and whistles to satisfy your "inner geek".

So there... even though I'm a card-carrying Futaba fanboy (6EX, UAFP7, 9CAPsuper, 12FG), I totally respect the Spek brand.

Welcome back to the addiction.

r/s... Roger Parrett / Dayton / OH

Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 AM
SamAlattar

Hello ,
I am new to the hobby , but I think that the JR / Spektrum brandis abetter option for you , the Spekturm DX8 is an advanced transmitter with many features like telemetry , removable storage ( SD card ) , etc . and as said , the Spektrum brand ( receivers , etc ) is widely availabe for a wide range of applications from the micro models to scale ones and the cost is reasonable .
In general , I think that the Spektrum DX8 is a good choise .

Welcome back to the hobby and good luck ,

Best regards ,
Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 AM
CPTOZZY

IPulled the Trigger <hr size="1" style="color: #ffffff" />
Thank You to all who replied top my questions - Your advice was absolutely appreciated !

I Pulled the trigger and Ordered a Spectrum DX8 and a Blade 120 SR.

I can't wait for them to arrrive, and once they do I will try to post a video of 'my absolutely very first ever helicopter flight'
( I'm sure it will be a short video )
Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 AM
SamAlattar

Hello ,
Congratulations, I think the DX8 is a good choice , make sure to range check your transmitter with the reciever properly , considering to place the model in different orientations according to the transmitter ( if the model has metal parts , orient the model so that the metal parts is between the receiver and transmitter during range check ! ) as I heard some complaints about signal lost with DX8 ! others deny this and I think the DX8 is a very good device but I advise you to over checkfor signalissuesbeforeflyingfar .
Itisalso a goodidea to practicewith a simulator before flying .

Good luck and take care ,

Best regards ,
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM
aerofly0610

Don't dismiss the Airtronics SD-10G.  [8D]
Old 05-08-2012, 05:11 PM
PDuck

Futaba, JR, Airtronics. Why does eveyone overlook Hitec. Check out the A9.

PDuck