Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FUtaba S3051HV

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 AM
ton2di
My Feedback: (182)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUtaba S3051HV

Anybody has this servo yet? It's only $39.99 at tower and it is the HV version with metal gears. The torque is not so bad either. According to Servo city, it's coreless too.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FUtaba S3051HV

Brilliant servo!

I have 10 of them. They're accurate, they centre like a Futaba i.e. no overshoot, they actually meet their torque rating and work at that rating and speed.
The HV is nice too because the rest of thjem are going into a BH FW 190 1.20size running an MVVS30IFS SP, the ignition for that is HV also.

Only servo's I may choose over these is the SAVOX SH 1251MG where alow profile is required.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 PM
ton2di
My Feedback: (182)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I am actually having a hard time buying these servos because they are all out of stock at the moment. I managed to get 2 from e-bay sellers. I was looking to buy some hitec 5645, but will instead get these as soon as they are available.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no contest, its a hands down better servo.
The Hitec is not as accurate and to me thats important. When buying servo's these days I take my radio and Rx to the hobby store with my Life Battery and a weight on the end of a line and test em. They don't like it much but if they want a sale then I want to know what I'm buying.
also some of the heli specific brands make excellent servo's. The Align DS610 is one of them for fixed wing use. Savox also and the screws they are suplied for heli applications makes excellent cowling and canopy retention bolts on 30cc airframes  
Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 AM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what happen to these servos, tower has no listing for them?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they got replaced by the s3071HV which you get to pay $20 more for since its SBUS compatible.... it is a bummer, I picked up the last 4 servo city had in stock. the 3051HV is a good servo, its too bad they discontinued it.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
karl hibbs

that's a real BIG bummer.. Futaba is slowly forcing us into s bus so we can buy those 30.00 hubs and extensions.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:15 PM
mattnew

The thing is I don't have a need for S.BUS, while I could use it, for my planes it only adds up to additional expense with from what I can tell, no benefit.

I had made that comment a few times to the Futaba reps on this site, doesn't seem to warrant a response.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:51 PM
karl hibbs

The s bus works very good, I put together a arf jet last year and used s bus for 4 servos in the wings and 3 in the tail . Now that they have more servos to choose from it will be better and cheaper .
Old 01-09-2014, 06:01 AM
mattnew

Originally Posted by karl hibbs
The s bus works very good, I put together a arf jet last year and used s bus for 4 servos in the wings and 3 in the tail . Now that they have more servos to choose from it will be better and cheaper .
so.... not attacking you in any way..
I get that it might be good, I guess my "beef" is with them strategically getting rid of good servos like the 3051HV which forces us to buy SBUS compatible servos which cost more than their non-SBUS counterparts. Its unneeded added cost. Hitec still offers their HS-645MG and HS-5645MG which are very comparable to the 3051HV, I think I would buy one of those before I dropped the extra $20-25 for the S3071HV. This is coming from someone who has used Futaba since the early '90s, never had a radio issue or a servo failure, and really likes Futaba products.

Most sport/scale planes that aren't large/giant scale ( over .60 size ) or designed for 3D realistically need nothing more than a $13 Futaba s148 servo ( 40oz/in. )on the control surfaces. Thats $52 in servos for the vast majority of planes, and its a good solid setup proven by the fact that the s148 is now a ~25 year old servo and still widely used and readily available. Yes,there are exceptions and yes, people tend to go larger than this on most of their setups today, I realize this, but its not necessarily needed. Wanted for added security... ok. Anyway, back on topic, the cheapest SBUS servo is $40 that I could find ( S3072HV ), its faster and better, granted, but should they go all SBUS, the same setup as before is now $160 vs $52 for the s148's. I haven't even gotten to the $30 Hubs, the $60 decoders, or the $30 channel setting tool. It can add $200-$300 bucks to the cost of a plane.

For my B-17,my P-38 or my IMAC plane, sure ok, They are already multi-$1000 dollar planes, I'm not going to have issue with something that makes wiring simpler and adds a couple hundred to the cost..... But for my great planes .40 sized RV-4 or my ultrasport .60, or one of the hundreds of .40 sized ARF's out there, I'm turning a plane I may have had a few hundred dollars into into thousand dollar plane in terms of the equipment aboard... and that part seems silly to me. I don't want to put $40 servos in an ARF I paid $99 bucks for. If Futaba Keeps going down this road though, thats exactly what I'll have to do if I want to keep my equipment Futaba.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:21 AM
karl hibbs

I agree with you 100%.