Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Back in the game- Aircraft Radio question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:35 AM
jwottowa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the game- Aircraft Radio question

Greetings all-
I am back in the R/C game after a long break and confused about new radio technology. I was hoping to soliciate some advice. When I last quit flying (helis) I loved my JR 8103. Now that I am back, I see all kinds of acronyms for signal control protocal that appears to be proprietary to each manufacturer. (When I left PCM was just becoming popular)

I am re-entering the hobby as a fixed wing pilot and I need a simple 4 channel radio system that has dual rates and flaperon mixing. It seems radios no longer come with servos, rx batteries, etc.. and that the cost adds up quickly.

Question: Is there any reason I shouldn't score a old 8103 of the auction site for $150 that included everything i need (figure another $50 for fresh batteries of course) ? or is there a better/newer option out there in the same price range?

TIA for your advice
Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Back in the game- Aircraft Radio question

I should think you could get that used 8103 for considerably less than $150, but it might not have all the servos or a charger. If you see one, complete, I think they'd accept $150 in a heartbeat!

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM
jwottowa

So that price is steep? It does include everything in OG packaging.

Thanks for the input! I really am lost on new radio tech despite how much I read....
Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Choices lots of em-
8103 pretty dated but good radio
so-
choice one - get a good old 8103 for peanuts (50 bucks or s)o-and add a 2.4 module
downside - no Model match no upgrade to DSMX or BindnFly
OK- 150 bucks - look for a used DX7 and 7000rx - $150 should do it if you are a careful shopper.
This is a very good fixed wing setupand will likely do all you want - plus it is compatible with other DSMX and DSM2 rx-
You won't be left in the cold with obsoleted equip down the line and it really works! featurewise no other brands can touch this setup for the money.
plenty of other stuf -lotsa choices -just don't get stuck with an orphan system.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: rmh
choice one - get a good old 8103 for peanuts (50 bucks or s)o-and add a 2.4 module
downside - no Model match no upgrade to DSMX or BindnFly
XP8103 + spektrum module - BNF capable
Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM
jwottowa

Seems like good advie thus far. Many thanks. I had never heard ofspecktrum brand before. They seem to have a good rep. I believe that is the direction I will head towards.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:43 AM
83scamp

I just got back into the hobby after a few years as well.  Luckily, I kept all my stuff.  I had to install new batteries in everything, but it all works, just like when I put it away.  I currently have 6, 72mhz radios, and until they ban them( or they quit), that's what I'm flying.....

2.4ghz is cool, and eventually I'll get there, but it it ain't broke, don't fix it....

A lot of guys are unloading 72 mhz stuff on ebay.  If you watch, you can get some killer deals on top notch stuff.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 AM
jwottowa

After much research, I purchased a Futaba 7c system. I have always been loyal to JR, but after reading threads/reviews/etc.. I feel the 7c will be the best set up for me to grow with. You can bet that if I had a 72 mhz system sitting around, I wouldn't hesitate to fly it in a heartbeat.

Thanks again all for the advice