Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Ultra Deans Connector problem in RX install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 AM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultra Deans Connector problem in RX install

Discovered an issue with a powersafe RX install that I have had in place for about a year. Two batteries connected to a powersafe receiver via Ultra Deans connectors. The problem is that both connections are intermittent... wiggling the connectors around will complete or break the connection periodically. Problem seems to be on the Male side as I have tried different batteries (female side) and get similar results. Both male and female connectors are genuine Deans and appear to be in good shape with no corrosion, springs intact and not flattened, etc. Solder joints have been inspected and are good, and wire is not crimped or damaged. Luckily, I found this on the ground but I'm concerned about using this style of connectors for RX power now. May have to go back to EC3 connectors as much as I dislike the difficulty unplugging them.

Anyone else come across this problem with Ultra Deans connectors?

KennyMac
Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 AM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Deans Connector problem in RX install

Ihave seen a similar problem with two planes where Iconnect my battery, all is well and then a few minutes later the RX is off and if Idemate and mate things they are ok again. Both planes have more than 200 flights.

How long have you had these connectors in use?

Jim D
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GR7Racer

Discovered an issue with a powersafe RX install that I have had in place for about a year. Two batteries connected to a powersafe receiver via Ultra Deans connectors. The problem is that both connections are intermittent... wiggling the connectors around will complete or break the connection periodically. Problem seems to be on the Male side as I have tried different batteries (female side) and get similar results. Both male and female connectors are genuine Deans and appear to be in good shape with no corrosion, springs intact and not flattened, etc. Solder joints have been inspected and are good, and wire is not crimped or damaged. Luckily, I found this on the ground but I'm concerned about using this style of connectors for RX power now. May have to go back to EC3 connectors as much as I dislike the difficulty unplugging them.

Anyone else come across this problem with Ultra Deans connectors?

KennyMac
Do you plug a Male and Female Deans Ultra together and then solder wires to either side? This can loosen the pins inside the connectors. I also had a friend who had Deans Ultra connectors glued to a bulkhead with Silicone Adhesive. The connection was intermittent. We had to clean the contacts as there was som deposits probably caused by the adhesive.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Connectors have been in use for about a year, but only about 50 flights. They are not secured to the airframe, so wear from vibration should not be much of an issue. They don't even touch any parts of the airframe as they are suspended between the RX and battery.

Soldering was done to each connector while it was mated to the opposite connector to prevent the prongs from becoming misaligned. Are you suggesting that this might actually cause a misalignment?

Problem seems to be related to the male connectors on the RX as different batteries with different female connectors produce similar, although not exact, intermittent results. Other males have been tried with the same batteries (female connections) with no problems.

I did find an old RCU thread with somebody with the same problem, and he cured it by replacing the connectors. I'd like to know why this problem is showing up on connectors that appear to be perfect. If the alignment tolerances are so small and these connectors are that finicky, I'm not likely to keep using them on my installs. Hoping somebody will have a smoking gun on what I might have done wrong to make these things flaky.

Thanks for your replies so far.

KennyMac
Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Stew99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't really inspect a solder joint. It can look ok and still be bad. The easiest, safest thing to do is replace the connectors.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GR7Racer

Connectors have been in use for about a year, but only about 50 flights. They are not secured to the airframe, so wear from vibration should not be much of an issue. They don't even touch any parts of the airframe as they are suspended between the RX and battery.

Soldering was done to each connector while it was mated to the opposite connector to prevent the prongs from becoming misaligned. Are you suggesting that this might actually cause a misalignment?

Problem seems to be related to the male connectors on the RX as different batteries with different female connectors produce similar, although not exact, intermittent results. Other males have been tried with the same batteries (female connections) with no problems.

I did find an old RCU thread with somebody with the same problem, and he cured it by replacing the connectors. I'd like to know why this problem is showing up on connectors that appear to be perfect. If the alignment tolerances are so small and these connectors are that finicky, I'm not likely to keep using them on my installs. Hoping somebody will have a smoking gun on what I might have done wrong to make these things flaky.

Thanks for your replies so far.

KennyMac
Myself and other members of my RC club have been using Deans Ultra connectors for a number of years. As we started using electric aircraft that required 12ga and 10ga wire, where more heat was required, we tried to find the best ways to solder the wires to our Deans Ultra connectors without melting the plastic and causing the pins to shift. At first it was thought that mating the Male and Female Deans Ultra connectors was an easy way to keep everything aligned, however, eventually we discovered that the Springs on the face of the Male connectors was forcing the pins on the Female connectors to push into the plastic and loosen the connection. We were advised not to use that procedure anymore.

There are some nice Soldering Jigs that make it easier to solder numerous types of connectors including Deans Ultra, CC Bullet Connectors, etc. I usually put each Deans Ultra connector in a vice and solder to the face of each pin. There are also Adapters, from MPI, that have a round hole on one side, for the wire, and two flat surfaces on the other side to solder on either side of each Deans Ultra pin.