Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Great Planes Golberg Cub Electric

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 AM
jim4242

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Golberg Cub Electric

I have a new completed Goldberg Cub made in ther clipped wing version. I have decided I want to make this into an electric. I am so confused about putting all the pieces together, motor, esc, bec, batteries, cells, amh, volts, seperate battery for receiver, cell monitor,propeller etc. I understand this is not an inexpensive project and I would like to keep the costs somewhat under control. I have the specs as good as I can get them for now. I have gone to LHS which are getting hard to find and most say go to the forums, that is where all the experience is.

Wing Span 67.5 inches (clipped wing)
Wing Area 648 sq inches
Wing Loading Advertised 21.70 (unclipped)
Flying Weight Advertised @ 7 lbs. 7.5 oz (unclipped)
Airfoil Clark Y High Wing

I am a noobe trying to get into the hobby and this is just another step, I have also the same plane in the full wing anniversary with a .60 but I wanted to have something quiet for a change of pace. I am looking for a blend of cusing and performance, not necesarily speed but more power in verticle and some smooth stunts. (Way down the road. Due to the expence this does not appear this is something you want to do on your own with out having some expert advise. One does not want to do just trial and error. If anyone could give dome advise or even a shopping list, bill of materials what ever we may call it. I would appreciate it,. I read a lot on these forums and have learned a lot in the last few months. You have helped me fhrough your posts and replies.
I look froward to any or all suggestions, I only ask that we keep it simple as we can so I can understand without getting overwhelmed. I am sure there will be others who will be very interested in this. If I have missed discussions elsewhere on the site please direct me to those as to not put everyone through the redundancy of it all. I don't know of any that are directed to my actual situation.

Thank you to all in advance,

Jim
Old 06-16-2012, 06:31 PM
jim4242

Default RE: Great Planes Golberg Cub Electric

Hey there,
I must say I was suprized to see there were no replys, this is a first for me, normally there are replys almost immediately. Possibly my question was too broad? Am I in the wrong area of the site? Where does one go to get this information without haveing a degree in electronics. It appears a bit complex but there has to be somewhere to go. I can find charts and specs but it does not register with me because it is out of my area of expertise. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions.I went to another LHS about 45 min from me today and the owner said the problem is that it truly is confusing and what you have to do is find someone who has done it already in a situation similar to mine. He said he was going to make some calls on Monday to try to help out. Meanwhile I will listen to all suggestions or comments. Look forward to hearing from someone.

Thanke Jim
Old 06-16-2012, 07:21 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jim4242

I have a new completed Goldberg Cub made in ther clipped wing version. I have decided I want to make this into an electric. I am so confused about putting all the pieces together, motor, esc, bec, batteries, cells, amh, volts, seperate battery for receiver, cell monitor,propeller etc. I understand this is not an inexpensive project and I would like to keep the costs somewhat under control. I have the specs as good as I can get them for now. I have gone to LHS which are getting hard to find and most say go to the forums, that is where all the experience is.

Wing Span 67.5 inches (clipped wing)
Wing Area 648 sq inches
Wing Loading Advertised 21.70 (unclipped)
Flying Weight Advertised @ 7 lbs. 7.5 oz (unclipped)
Airfoil Clark Y High Wing

I am a noobe trying to get into the hobby and this is just another step, I have also the same plane in the full wing anniversary with a .60 but I wanted to have something quiet for a change of pace. I am looking for a blend of cusing and performance, not necesarily speed but more power in verticle and some smooth stunts. (Way down the road. Due to the expence this does not appear this is something you want to do on your own with out having some expert advise. One does not want to do just trial and error. If anyone could give dome advise or even a shopping list, bill of materials what ever we may call it. I would appreciate it,. I read a lot on these forums and have learned a lot in the last few months. You have helped me fhrough your posts and replies.
I look froward to any or all suggestions, I only ask that we keep it simple as we can so I can understand without getting overwhelmed. I am sure there will be others who will be very interested in this. If I have missed discussions elsewhere on the site please direct me to those as to not put everyone through the redundancy of it all. I don't know of any that are directed to my actual situation.

Thank you to all in advance,

Jim
Picking the proper Motor would be the first step in the process. Some manufacturers identify their motors with numbers that equate to the glow motor equivalent. Eflite and Rimfire, for example have motors identified as 25, 32, 46, 60, etc.. If you were to use an Eflite 60 motor, for example, you would then determine the specs on the motor for voltage and max current. The voltage the motor is rated for determines the maximum number of LiPo cells you can use in Series. The Length and Pitch of the propeller would determine how much Current the motor could draw. You would need an ESC that can handle the Current and the Voltage that the motor is rated for. Eflite, for example, would suggest the proper Prop and ESC to use. The Discharge C rating on the batteries you choose would determine how much Current the batteries could handle Continuously and in Short Bursts. The Connectors between the ESC, Motor, and Battery depend upon how much Current the Motor will be drawing.

A Wattmeter is a great electronic tool to connect between the ESC and the Battery in order to monitor how much Current you motor is drawing with different Prop Sizes so that you do not exceed the specs for the Motor, ESC, and Battery. The Larger the Prop or the Greater the Pitch, the more Current will be drawn

Many times, you can search the Electric Forums for the aircraft you have and find threads that describe what others have powered their aircraft with. These are just Basic info to start with. There are Free Calculators you can download that enable you to enter the parameter for your aircraft and determine what size Motor, ESC, Battery, and Prop to use. Motocalc is one such calculator.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4060A

http://www.motocalc.com/
Old 06-17-2012, 05:43 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going with the clipped wing, you want a little more power then a floater type Cub.

Motor
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m606-big...030-400kv.html

ESC
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e06-proton-60a.html

Battery
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-5500-6s1p.html

Run this combo with a APC 18X6 prop and you will have plenty of power. Should give about 9 1/2 pounds of thrust. You can step up to a 18X8 prop. That shows it will give about 11 1/2 pounds of thrust.

I have this same combo on a 60 sized low wing plane I use as a glider tug.

Online calculator

http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

Buzz.

ETA link
Old 06-18-2012, 06:17 AM
jim4242

Thank you Buzz And Rich,

It was great hearing from you and your information will be most helpful in this confusing project. You make it look easy, however, it is much more complex then most people think. There are not many who know all the formulas necessary to calculate the application correctly. Most knowledge it seems comes from experience in trial and error. Thanks to those who have learned the hard way and wish to share with others. That is what forums are all about.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 06-18-2012, 02:17 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been know to let the magic smoke out of the electronics before. Once it is out, they will never work again.

Have you thought about how you are going to mount your motor?

I mounted mine on stand offs.

Buzz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89153.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1773526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20658.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1773527