Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 14mz or spektrum dx18

Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Futaba 14mz or spektrum dx18

I'm using the hitec aurora 9 which has been a pretty good radio. After 1 of the updates though, I lost my shockjet so I'm not really wanting to risk another jet to hitec. Several people had range issues with the 2.1? update, it was part my fault as I didn't range check after doing the update. I'm on 2.2 now which seems to have cleared up the range issues.

Still fighting trust issues so I'm considering a new radio to put into my jet. I guess the choice is between the futaba 14mz and the spektrum dx18. I'm hoping to find the 14mz in about the same price range as the dx18 if not the dx18 definately has the price advantage. Has anyone used the dx18 for comparison?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 PM
FenderBean

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 14mz or spektrum dx18

hands down the 14 I love mine but will have to upgrade to the 18 for my F-14 channel requirement[:'(]
Old 08-03-2012, 04:31 AM
proline8000
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just from a quality/manufacturing stand point I would not buy a Spectrum. I do not clam to know much about the Spectrum 18 but I have fixed many Spectrum radios including some of the computer radios and every time I open one up it scares me. I am new to the 14MZ and so far it seems to work great. I am a JR guy for the last 20 years and the JR quality is second to none and now that JR has its own 2.4 (not a spectrum design) I may be revisiting JR very soon. I do not use the DSM2/X or the FASST system, I use the Weatronic system. The DSM and FASST systems have their good points and bad but they both seem to be very reliable and would use them on anything but my Jets. The Spectrum system offers more options with their recievers, and the satellite system is a great idea which offers a lot of flexibility during radio installation and many power management options. I hope Futaba starts to offer more options in there receiver line soon with power management options.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Go for the Futaba 18MZ instead of the 14MZ it's way way better, you won't regret it.Take a look around, most people with 14's are upgrading to the 18. If you are a member of Tower Hobbies Super saver club ( 10 bucks a year) they send you offers that will save you almost 400.00 dollars. I got my 18 MZ for 2625.00 bucksit is UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!And by all means STAYAWAYFROMTHATSPEKTRACRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:46 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a DX-18, I have owned a 14MZ and I presently own the 18MZ. I don't know of a focussed way to answer which radio, the DX18 or 14MZ, to purchase. I guess you could make a list of parameters that are important to you and then see how each radio does, then weight the parameters and and add the scores. Similar to evaluating bid proposals. The problem I see is that you are asking a question that is something like should I purchase a Cessna 172 or a Boeing 747. In capability and flexibility the 14MZ is on another planet compared the DX18. I am not saying the DX18 is not a really nice radio and likely the pride of Spektrum. It is simple to use, easy to learn and does a very nice job just like a Cessna 172 absolutely great. It may be that the best answer is that you really cannot compare the two radios any more than you can compare the two airplanes. Can you make comparisons, yes, but, it is not a very logical question. Maybe you had better begin by deciding/stating all of your needs and then see which general camp you are in.

Howard
Old 08-10-2012, 05:06 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

The futaba 18mz is just WAY out of my price range. Also, 2 local guys that have them have both lost airplanes with them... A jet and a 50cc gasser.

I'm looking for the best deal up to $1k range (if I can find a good deal on the 14mz). I like the touch screen on the 14mz and the flexibility. The 18dx has 4 more channels though and for a little less than what I can probably find the 14mz for. I like the dual antennae setup the 18dx transmitter incorporates. Realistically I could probably make due with a 12 channel and find one for about 1/2 what these radios cost. That would probably be the smarter way to go. With hitec putting out the touch screen I'm surprised more radio manufacturers haven't followed. A nice 12 channel in the 5-600 range would be a good seller.