Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum not working after bind

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:51 AM
davidorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum not working after bind

My Spektrum 6i stop working for some reason. It's not responding to any of my recievers. I just used it last week, could it be the humidity getting to the electronics? I have a shop behind the house, but I can't think of weather affecting an enclosed electronics. Any way you guys know of to test out my spektrum or diagnose it? Any advice would help.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum not working after bind

ORIGINAL: davidorn

My Spektrum 6i stop working for some reason. It's not responding to any of my recievers. I just used it last week, could it be the humidity getting to the electronics? I have a shop behind the house, but I can't think of weather affecting an enclosed electronics. Any way you guys know of to test out my spektrum or diagnose it? Any advice would help.
Have you tried to ReBind? What Rx are you using? Does the Rx require a Satellite Rx? How are you powering the Rx? With an Rx battery or a BEC?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 AM
davidorn

I've had them all working as stated and bounded to all my 6200's.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM
wcmorrison

Switch to Futaba or Hitec.  Spektrum has a sort of poor history.  They keep changing and changing and changing.  They are moving toward Futaba.  I got rid of it more than two years ago. Yes, some of it works well, but an awfully lot of us had it with Spektrum and Horizon Hobbies.  Buyer beware!  You get what you pay for.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

No matter what WC says you have the number 1 seller in the US. Just go to any Jet meet and see for yourself. Make sure all the battery's are charged including the transmitter. If you still have a problem call tech and talk to them. You won't get a answer here. All you get is silly brand wars. Dennis
Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 AM
davidorn

Just recently, its like the D6i stopped talking to all of them. I can't  figure it out. Maybe it can be the battery. It's interesting I belong to dcrc and most members use spektrums there.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Plus 1 to Dad's. I would pretty much ignore such comments, all of the name brand products work well for the most part and none of them are immune to problems.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM
davidorn

Dennis, your right, I'm not on here to get opninions about brand favorites, I'm on here to get some suggestions from folks that have experienced this before with Dx6i or similar models and any trouble shooting tech support possible. Thanks.
Rich, I've had them all working on both BEC and rx batteries 4.8v. Could it be the weather causing affect? I've heard from other members at the club  that when it gets a certain weather, their Spektrums won't respond right.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are a member of a club, get someone with a similar transmitter to try to bind to your receiver(s) and, if that works, you know it is your transmitter that has malfunctioned. Also, if you have a friend with a compatible receiver, see if he will let you try to bind your transmitter to his receiver. If that works you know your transmitter is okay and your problem lies elsewhere. When a substitute part is available, that is often the easiest way to find where the problem is.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM
davidorn

I've tried to bind to all my recievers, so i know it's the Tx. I brought the Tx inside, maybe it is a humitiy thing. We'll see how it works after.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

I fly in hot and weather so humid you can cut it, other than laying a radio in the sun it really shouldn't effect it other than if you have corrosion.

Also, lets establish some terms.

Binding is putting in a bind plug and putting both the receiver and transmitter into bind mode.

Linking is powering up a system that has already been bound.

You sound like you're familar with model match?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Nothing could be much more then here in Ky. My stuff always works. Call Horizon. Your describing a radio that is not transmitting. If one out of three was giving you trouble then think receiver. With all three has to be transmitter. Dennis
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM
davidorn

Thanks Andy, scratching my head on this one. I've bounded before and it links to the rx's but not familiar with model match too much.  I've redone my models and also create new model matches on the Tx. Changed out the batteries also.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis, your right, I'm not on here to get opninions about brand favorites, I'm on here to get some suggestions from folks that have experienced this before with Dx6i or similar models and any trouble shooting tech support possible. Thanks.
Rich, I've had them all working on both BEC and rx batteries 4.8v. Could it be the weather causing affect? I've heard from other members at the club that when it gets a certain weather, their Spektrums won't respond right.
The best place to start is by connecting one servo and a good 4.8v battery directly to an Rx. No extensions or switches. Go through the Bind Process. Be sure you are out away from any large metal buildings. Choose a free Model Memory and Reset it to Factory Defaults.

Be sure your Tx battery is adequately charged.

Do you get Blinking Lights on the Rx when you insert the Bind Plug and power up the Rx?

When you depress the Bind Button and power up the Tx, do the Rx Lights go out and then come on solid?

Try the same process with a friends DX6i and your Rx.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 PM
davidorn

Thanks Rich, I get no blinkies at all on any of my recievers I've tried, just solid. New batteries, have done the 1 servo, to test it out the servo to make sure it worked, i used my JR 72mhz to see if it works which it does. I will try resetting to factory defaults and try from square one.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:53 PM
bipeflr
My Feedback: (8)

I treated my trans rough and caused the antenna to rotate all the way around breaking the connection, thus burning out the output board...horizon fixed it free..Jim
Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
gmeyer-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

I just replaced the antenna on my dx6i the connection for the wire just snaps on to a board in the TX maybe the antenna came off the board. Greg
I have not checked to see if it works yet though.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 PM
allans

I had an intermittent short in the port that the satellite rx connected to.

Lost bind several times on the ground and could not figure out why. Tx work well with other Rx's.

I just started replacing everything I could until problem stopped.

Even an Rx with two sat ports will unbind if one sponatieously disconnects.

I found that the wire from the sats vibrated quite a bit thus could have caused the port or the connector to loosen or become unstable.

I have seen connectors come apart in old servo wires . The result is usually intermittent servo opeartion or jerky movement of the servo.

The problem was in the connector in the wire from the sat rx. I found other wire that had suspect connectors and I replaced all them as well.

This wires ,it seems do suffer fatigue and the connectors come apart.( Maybe from repeatedt vibration)

One more note I recomend that people stay away from the oem Sat rx's from the far east. The are orange . They bind and seem compatable functionally but I not seen one that will range check more than ten feet. You save a few bucks but you can lose a plane.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 PM
davidorn

.I spent about an hr trying to bind again the Spektrum Transmitter with RX, finally the dam thing started binding. I tried my RX-orange compatable Spektrum, and that binded fine. I tried my AR6200, and that dam thing was work. I kept having to put the battery connection backwards, forwards, remove the satellite, connect it. The dam thing couldn't bind right, it blinks, but when I connect the power backwards, it would blink slow as if it was binding, but not connect. If I put the power connect in the right way, it would blink, slow blink like it would bind, but then the lights disappear and no binding. If I remove the satellite, no lights unless I connect the power backwards, then blinking, but no binding.  Changed power batter to a 6v, and finally after several tries with binding foward/backward/satellite on/off, model match, it finally started binding.  After all this, I think the 6200 and other Spektrum Rx are not living up to their rep. That cheap $12 Spektrum - compatable orange RX worked immediately. Bought it off supplier on Ebay item is 'OrangeRX 6 Ch Flight Receiver - DSM2 - JR/Spektrum Compatible seller is 25k-rc,
 lots of JR/Spektrum Rx's for those of you interested.
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:17 PM
davidorn

Allan, I'm going to test out that orange on my AT6, just taxing it around the school parking lot to test out the range. I'll let you know how this 'OrangeRX 6 Ch Flight Receiver - DSM2 - JR/Spektrum Compatible ranges out. Supplier is next town over from me in Alexandria, VA.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:22 PM
davidorn

According to the product supplier, and researching this product I am using, this is an Orange RX which is the brand name.

Super light weight and compact
Compatible with DSM2 ground systems (car & boat applications)
Built in fail safe

Specs:
Channels: 6
Size: 28.7x20.6x11.9mm
Antenna length: 135mm
Input voltage: 3.5~8.4V
Faile safe: Yes

Warranty.
12 Month replacement guarantee!

Included.
OrangeRx GR300 DSM2 Compatible ground receiver
Bind plug
Bind and fail safe instructions

NOTE:
1) This is not a Spektrum receiver, nor is it a copy of a Spektrum Receiver.
The Spektrum brand is a trademark of Horizon Hobbies USA.
2) Price of this receiver may fluctuate (up or down) due to cost of electronic components.
3) This is not an underground manufactured fake Spektrum receiver. OrangeRx quality is guaranteed.
4) This receiver is for the current generation of DSM2 transmitters. It is not compatible with legacy DSM transmitters.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 PM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

EDIT: I see you may have it figured out now?

Missed that, sorry.

Experienced this with a DX5e, sent it in, HH sent back a new one free of charge, but never said what was wrong.

Again, ignore all the fanboys....... all of the major brands have their own issues, and are certainly not immune to them. All the brands work in much the same way, and none is better than the other.

Have you ever ran the battery dead while it was in a programming screen? or maybe disconnected the battery while it was turned on? This could have corrupted the programming, which would require to be sent in for a reset.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:40 AM
qwerty3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a current spektrum user - but, when I had an older system (DX6 & AR6000) that I got as part of a used helicopter deal - didn't work, receiver seemed dead - I sent the whole thing in for service, and HH replaced the receiver at no charge. Their service is incredible! If you're not sure, have HH check things out.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:57 AM
allans

This is always the best solution. Hands down.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 AM
gwweber
My Feedback: (24)

SIGH  Dave.  Sounds like you have the wires backwards.  Also if you use a dsm sat on a dsmx reciever it will not work.  As that is John H's radio and you live close to him you should have him take a look at it and Im sure it will work.  BTW  John got that transmitter from me and it is like new, used about 3 hours.  The transmitter is fine, as you get no blinkies on the recievers it makes me think the issue is the way you have the polarity going into the reciever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_RWJ...ature=g-user-u

P.S.  Hobby king now has the orange recievers on sale for under $3, I am going to have to rush out and buy a bag full of them because my 100cc carf needs a $3 reciever so I can feel secure when I fly it
KNOCK ON WOOD  I believe that the spectrum radio systems are pretty reliable, no more or less then the futaba or jr that I have seen, There may seem to be more problems, but that is because of the much larger number of people using the less expensive systems and the newness of the users using the spectrum systems becasue they are less expensive.   

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.