Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics sd-10g-super OR Futaba 8fg

Old 09-09-2012, 03:39 AM
Coachh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics sd-10g-super OR Futaba 8fg

Hello all,

I am sure then has been discussed. These are two radio's I have it down to. Either way think I am winning. I am now done with my Dx6i and couple of mishaps. I am a beggineer wanting to make an investment in a system I can grow with as I start to spend some $ on some planes. I have just got my wings so to speak and have graduated from my nitro trainer.

Thoughts ?

Thanks
Coachh
Old 09-09-2012, 05:27 AM
karolh

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Airtronics sd-10g-super OR Futaba 8fg

Most likely everyone will have their preference between brands, but both are excellent radios and either will suit your needs quite well. You should do a hands on test to see which feels most comfortable in your hand. For RC equipment such as this I sometimes tend to go with brands that are popular within my circle so that if I ever need help it's always available. That said, I fly Futaba.

Karol
Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 AM
P-40 DRIVER

I would go hold both of them and buy the one that feels better in your hands. What do your friends fly? It might be helpful to have someone who is familiar with your new radio in case you need some help. Be aware you can't use analog servos with the the 10 channel airtronics receiver. The Futaba FASST is the best protocal out there.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: P-40 DRIVER

I would go hold both of them and buy the one that feels better in your hands. What do your friends fly? It might be helpful to have someone who is familiar with your new radio in case you need some help. Be aware you can't use analog servos with the the 10 channel airtronics receiver. The Futaba FASST is the best protocal out there.
The actual statement on the 10 channel receiver is

"*Due to the extremely high frame rate that this receiver operates at, Digital servos should be used. In some cases Analog servos may not work with this receiver."

Now with that said I too feel you should find out what feels best in your hands and what your flying buddies use. I personally use the Futaba 8FG and love it. I bought my second one last Christmas for backup. Also I have never had a hickup using the FASST protocal.

Bruce
Old 09-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Coachh

So your telling me I have use to use digital servos when building new and or switchover all servos to digital to propery use Airtronics ?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:45 AM
blvdbuzzard

No you do not have to use digital servos. That is only on the 10 channel Rx. If you use the 8, 6, 5 channel Rx's analog servos work just fine. You can bind all of the Airtronics Rx's to the 10G.

Buzz.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 AM
ArchNemesis

The servo issues is simply a truth in advertising issue.  The reality is that a lot of analog servos work just fine with the FHSS-3 Rx's (10ch and now a new 6 & 8ch FHSS-3 Rx also).  What's more, the analog servos that DON'T work well, also don't work well with the futaba Rx.  Bottom line is that the newer, fast, 2.4 radio's don't work well with the older, slow analog servos.  Any brand that's using a fast frame rate will have that.

I fly Airtronics so I'm biased toward the SD10, but I'll concur with what was previously said.  Go try them.  Both are great radios.  I find the SD10 easier to program, but that may also be my familiarity with all of the Airtronics radios.  Another point to consider though is Receiver costs.  If you're going to be using one radio for a lot of planes, the ATX receivers tend to be quite a bit less expensive than the Futaba's.  

Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 AM
landeck

No. Just the FHSS-3 receivers recommend digital servos. The FHSS-1 receivers do not require digital servos and come in 6 and 8 channel versions. You would have to buy these separately as the transmitter comes with a 10 channel FHSS-3 receiver. Also newer analog servos may well work with FHSS-3 receivers. Both systems are very good systems.

Bruce
Old 09-09-2012, 11:22 AM
pilotpete2

One other important consideration is receiver cost. With Airtronics you're locked into their receivers, with Futaba FASST you have a great selection of FASST compatible receivers to choose from in addition to genuine Futaba offerings. Fr Sky has a very good reputation and these folks are the US distibutor.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ompatible.html
Pete
Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 PM
P-40 DRIVER

I have seen first hand that the 10 chanel receiver has issues with analog servos due to frame rate, the Futaba is switchable to a slower frame rate if need be. The only reason I said anything about it, is that auther of this thread is a newbie and probably knows nothing about the issue. He already has issues with his Spektrum 6 channel which in reality he should sort out before dumping a load of money on a new radio which may or may not take care of the problem.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Coachh

Ok so if I use non digital receivers in Airtronics I will be ok. But every plane I build moving forward I need to get digital servos to use with hhigh end receivers ? Ok so any of u Futaba fellas using these Fr Sky receivers.

I just want signal. You can understand I need to remove this issue from my Hobby.

Most of the flying giant flyers up here are using Airtronics up here in Chicago . These guys are flying high dollar planes. All the members at local Soar Club. 8 airtronics 1 jr and 1 Spectrum 18 channel.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:34 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Hi.. 

I have about 6 of the 8 ch FHSS-1 receivers, all of which I am using with Standard servos, with no problems what so ever..  there is also 5, 6 & 7 ch full range Receivers in the FHSS-1 modulation available.. there are also some Park Flyer receivers available.    I have none of the FHSS-3 modulation receivers, so I cannot comment on the Digital/analog Servo issue with the FHSS-3 receiver issue.

I do however love my SD10G.. 

Craig.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:21 AM
karolh

ORIGINAL: Coachh

Ok so if I use non digital receivers in Airtronics I will be ok. But every plane I build moving forward I need to get digital servos to use with hhigh end receivers ? Ok so any of u Futaba fellas using these Fr Sky receivers.

I just want signal. You can understand I need to remove this issue from my Hobby.

Most of the flying giant flyers up here are using Airtronics up here in Chicago . These guys are flying high dollar planes. All the members at local Soar Club. 8 airtronics 1 jr and 1 Spectrum 18 channel.
I use Frsky receivers controlled by my Fut Tx in both my glow and gas models and they perform great.

Karol
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 PM
blvdbuzzard

I am a long time Airtronics person. I have never had an issue with my gear. But I will play devils advocate here for a second.

It was mentioned to use the FrySky Rx's with the HIGH dollar Futaba radio. Why spend the big bucks on a name brand radio then go CHEAP on the Rx's? I have never understood this part? If you are going to go cheap, then get a 9x radio from Hobbypartz. I do have one and it has been a good radio. I had done a few modes to it. But I used it in stock form for over a year and it was rock solid. Plus the 6 channel Rx's are $9.00.

I have to say this is one of the few gems where you get a lot for your money.

I can not say it is any where as nice as the 10G, yet after I upgraded the firmware, it is a lot of radio. I now have 15 planes on this radio. From 6 ounce foam park flyers to 60 sized glow and 2.3m sail plane.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-r6b-receiver.html

Buzz.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 AM
aydin3

I use both analogue and digital servos on my FHSS3 rx's. You MUST test the analogue servios first as SOME do not work. Most of the newer analogue ones do work fine though.

Dave L

RS8000, RDS8000 and SD10-G
Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 AM
karolh

You are missing the point when you elaborate on the FrSky Rx's being cheap, the fact is that even though they do cost much less than the high dollar units from the big four manufacturers they perform just as good and sometimes even better.

Karol
Old 09-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Coachh

I don't have to use Futaba servos with Futaba Radio as it says in tech notes ?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 AM
landeck

No, you do not have to use Futaba servos with the Futaba transmitter. Any that serve your needs will do.

Bruce
Old 09-13-2012, 01:07 PM
sthill

Coachh,

Both radios you are considering are great radios. I own a SD-10G but was seriously considering Futaba 8fg when I purchased the 10G. I went with the SD-10G simply because I had been flying an Airtronics RDS8000 since 2008 and already had an investment in RXes.

If you are new(er) to the hobby I would suggest you go with the radio your fellow pilots fly. That way if you have any questions you have a network of folks to ask. The internet is OK for learning how to program these radios but there is nothing like having a few experienced folks at the field that can help when you run into problems and/or need to make a change at the field.

Just my $0.02…
Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Coachh

Ordered my Airtronics from a dealer that kinda lives up your way last night. I agree with your statement. Let the fun begin. I do have an intrest
In soaring also and those guys love there Airtronics. I could have went either way. I really likes the looks of the Futuba but in the end I can get a ton of help with Super.

Thanks all for your imput !!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Pippin

A friend of mine bought a Futaba 8FG. He did not like its small size, inputs and soon after sold it. He got the SD-10G instead. Partly, it was my "fault", because I showed him my SD-10G.

Airtronics FHSS-3 is fast, secure and offers Safety Link. It outperforms FASST anyway.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I am another very happy Airtronics SD-10g owner who still flies my Futaba 72mhz radio on occasion. I think the 8FG Super is a terrific radio, but I sure wouldn't trade my SD-10g for one. Airtronics offers a unique blend of quality, reliability, and value. Futaba radio systems are an excellent alternative for those times when Airtronics radio systems simply aren't priced high enough.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Futaba radio systems are an excellent alternative for those times when Airtronics radio systems simply aren't priced high enough.

Now that's funny there...

Old 09-20-2012, 03:44 PM
jcvt
My Feedback: (2)

How would you compare the rsd8000 and sg-10, not in the functionality but in the quality of their parts , hardware in general.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 PM
blvdbuzzard

I have (2) RDS8000 and love them. They have been used a lot. I have never had an issue with them. They are smooth, easy to hold, easy to program. I could not ask for much more radio. I also have (2) of the older RD6000 that have way more hours then I care to think about. They are not the Super or Sport models. They are the original ones.

Buzz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.