Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Newbie Servo Questions.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
BillinIndiana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Servo Questions.

Hi, I'm looking for Servos for a trainer that I'm building, it's a SIG Kadet MK II.... I will probably buy an Spektrum Tx and Rx soon.... Servos can be any brand right? They don't have to be Spektrum do they?

Also I was looking at a Spektrum standad servo an A6050 are these any better than say a Airtronics 94322Z that are about the same price?

Airtronics Servo link
www.servodatabase.com/servo/airtronics/94322z

Spektrum Servo link
www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Servo Questions.

I would say they are comparable.

On a Kadet you won't see much difference in any of the servos in that catagory
Old 09-10-2012, 10:27 AM
BillinIndiana

I'm not really sure what makes a good servo "Good" really? I see the torque and speed specs, but that's it....?

Also what about my next plane? Will these still be decent servos for it too? What type of plane would I need better servos for and why?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM
BarracudaHockey

Aerobatic planes benefit from digital servos because they hold position and center better. Depends really on what your next plane is.

A "good" servo is a reliable one. A better servo has more torque and speed or can handle higher voltages. As the "better" goes up so does the price.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM
BillinIndiana

Would a Spetrum A6060 be a decent beginner Digital Servo? Would this handle some acrobatic planes? I guess I would like to go Digital, but can't spend a tremendous amount on them.. At least not at this time.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM
BillinIndiana

What is a digital servo programmer for?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:04 PM
BarracudaHockey

At the risk of sounding flippant, its for programming digital servos

There's only a few that you can program like Hitec's and a few of the Spektrum and other servos here and there but it allows you to set throws and end points via the programmer instead of the radio. It works in situations where you have a less capable radio and need to match servos for things like multiple servos on one surface on a giant scale plane etc.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:15 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you using two aileron servos in your MK 11 or are you going with a single servo?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

At the risk of sounding flippant, its for programming digital servos

There's only a few that you can program like Hitec's and a few of the Spektrum and other servos here and there but it allows you to set throws and end points via the programmer instead of the radio. It works in situations where you have a less capable radio and need to match servos for things like multiple servos on one surface on a giant scale plane etc.
Yeah, I left the door wide open for that one...haha
Sounds like something I don't need for now.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Are you using two aileron servos in your MK 11 or are you going with a single servo?
I'm thinking I should probably stick with a single since I'm really inexperienced at flying. In fact today was the 1st time I have flown anything and it was just my HZ foamie. Still fun though !
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, if your transmitter supports dual aileron servos, IMO it is actually easier to set up/trim the plane with dual aileron servos instead of a single. The single will work fine, but any need for aileron differential or things like that will require you to adjust mechanically rather than programming thru the transmitter.

Woodie
Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: woodie

but any need for aileron differential or things like that will require you to adjust mechanically Woodie
And it's a great skill to learn!

rrragman
Old 09-10-2012, 05:17 PM
BillinIndiana

Bill, if your transmitter supports dual aileron servos, IMO it is actually easier to set up/trim the plane with dual aileron servos instead of a single. The single will work fine, but any need for aileron differential or things like that will require you to adjust mechanically rather than programming thru the transmitter.

Woodie
I haven't picked a transmitter yet.. Still trying to get myself to get the DX8, but the DX6i fits my budget a little better... Still undecided on that one.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 PM
GTMUSTANGCS

A good servo is a reliable one. I have old Futaba S148's that are still in my trainer. I decided to take it out the other day to fly. When i charged the batteries for it everything was fine. Let it drain the batteries and charged it up again. When I checked the servos for correct direction one of the servos went crazy. It hummed at first, then it did it own movements. Researched the problem and it was proportional something or other. It was fried and had reached it's lifespan. Now I don't trust servos that I have had for awhile. For $15 to 30 dollars apiece for a servo, its cheap piece of mind. I have read and heard that digital servos are just plain nice,,but.. $90 apiece ,,, maybe for a high dollar plane or if you can afford it,,, go for it. I use the servos I buy for the plane I put it in. I buy new ones for new planes. I would just be really bummed if I lost a plane due to servo failure. Just not smart to me when they are so inexpensive to buy. For a trainer I would buy standard ball bearing servos. If the servo connector will plug into your receiver, they will work. (just standard servos). I was referred to Servo City. It's worth a look. Good luck Joe.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM
GTMUSTANGCS

Also I would buy a radio system that includes the TX, RX, servos, the TX and the RX batteries and the charger as a package to start off with. At least a 6 channel if you can afford it. A 4 channel is good to start if you are on a budget. It will control alot of planes. As you learn about TX's and RX's and servo's etc. and what goes with what and you progress with planes you can make those choices. Guess I'm trying to say start simple,, good luck. Joe
Old 09-10-2012, 09:01 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: GTMUSTANGCS

Also I would buy a radio system that includes the TX, RX, servos, the TX and the RX batteries and the charger as a package to start off with. At least a 6 channel if you can afford it. A 4 channel is good to start if you are on a budget. It will control alot of planes. As you learn about TX's and RX's and servo's etc. and what goes with what and you progress with planes you can make those choices. Guess I'm trying to say start simple,, good luck. Joe
I don't know why I can never find the whole package when I search.. Take the Spektrum DX7 for example.. I can find it as a package on the Spektrum website...

But if I Google it and search all I can ever find is the Tx+Rx without servos at the most. Sometimes just the Tx alone.

edit: and if I do my zip code and search the LHS website I find the same thing Tx+Rx at the most..?

Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

Woodie
I haven't picked a transmitter yet.. Still trying to get myself to get the DX8, but the DX6i fits my budget a little better... Still undecided on that one.
Get the DX6i and don't sweat it. It is a great radio. Beside, after flying a while you will want a new transmitter, just for the fun of getting a new transmitter.

Kurt
Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 AM
BarracudaHockey

If you get the best radio your budget allows (within reason) you will save money in the long run by not having to buy twice.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:09 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: GTMUSTANGCS

I have been flying for years and have purchased many radios. These days, unless you are purchasing a radio for a trainer, it is better to buy just the Tx/Rx and shop around for the servos, switch harness, and batteries that meet your needs. Generally, the switch harnesses that come with the radio are cheap and not rugged, the batteries are barely adequate, and the servos are low torque.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I recommend you always keep your trainer.  For one thing it gives you something to go back to if you crash and are a little apprehensive when you go up again.   And it gives you something to start each season with if you live in a place with a small flying season.  With that said then you will keep the servos for it in it.  So gett low cost analog servos - digital are a waste of money in a trainer.  Plain old standard cheapy servos - that's what you need.  But do make sure they have a connector that fits your receiver.  It is frustrating as all get out if you buy servos with Futaba J connectors but you receiver uses Airtronics connectors.  You can use them if you know how but it's a pain.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: rgburrill
But do make sure they have a connector that fits your receiver. It is frustrating as all get out if you buy servos with Futaba J connectors but you receiver uses Airtronics connectors. You can use them if you know how but it'sa pain.
Yeah I was wondering about the Servos to Rx compatibility.. I wasn't sure if Servos all had a universal connector or what?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Bozarth

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

If you get the best radio your budget allows (within reason) you will save money in the long run by not having to buy twice.

I am from the other camp; go the most affordable route when the income is low. You will still get an outstanding radio. When income goes up (along with your interest and ability), you will want to buy another one for fun. Just like a first time car.

Kurt
Old 09-11-2012, 02:09 PM
lavarock

One place I recommend you do not go cheap on. Servo extensions. Buy the good heavy duty ones with gold plated connectors. Why?? I just went through a real hassle trying to determine why my S9001 coreless servos were oscillating. The experts told me it was the radio both TX and RX. Then it was the battery next the servo. But in the end I found it was a servo extension. In my collection of extensions I found 4 that would cause the same problem. When I put an oscilloscope on my system I was able to prove the voltage was low at the servo and the voltage drop was in the servo extension. (The problem is in the connectors) Do not get the cheap ones. They may work for now and on the analog and core type servos. But someday you will be building a large expensive plane with digital servos. You will need a 6 inch extension and you will find one in your collection. Everything may check out until you try to do a loop or something fancy and the digital servo will go South on you due to low voltage from that 6 inch extension you purchased on sale a couple years ago.
Same goes for switches and batteries. Use the best on the radio system. There have been many planes lost due to cheap switches and under sized batteries.

Get the best radio you can afford. Best to have more radio than you need. That way as you improve and get bigger airplanes you do not have to put out money for another radio that you will have to spend 6 months trying to learn how to program it.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Bozarth

ORIGINAL: lavarock

...you will have to spend 6 months trying to learn how to program it.
Isn't this part of the fun?

Kurt
Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

ORIGINAL: lavarock

...you will have to spend 6 months trying to learn how to program it.
Isn't this part of the fun?

Kurt
Yeah I really don't have any idea how to begin to program a TX.... I don't even know why you program one? I did meet up with a local RC plane club and it's members seem pretty nice.. I think they might be as excited for me as I am about beginning this hobby.. At least this was my 1st impression..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.