Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba MG digital servo-gear slop???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:16 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba MG digital servo-gear slop???

I have four futaba 9155 MG servos that have started to show some slop. Someone has told me that the worn gear on these is usually the nylon 1st gear. I've never had any 9156 servos, but I'm told that the gear train is the same in both. Has anyone had experience with either of these servos and was the nylon"1st gear" actually the problem?
Thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 07:28 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Futaba MG digital servo-gear slop???

The metal gears wear faster than the nylon ones.

Karol
Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flyerdave I have four futaba 9155 MG servos that have started to show some slop.
Someone has told me that the worn gear on these is usually the nylon 1st gear. I've never had any 9156 servos,
but I'm told that the gear train is the same in both. Has anyone had experience with either of these servos and
was the nylon"1st gear" actually the problem? Thanks
Anylon gear is fitted in all top end servo to prevent extraneous interference and is the least likely to wear/be broken.
(unless of courseowner is in the habit of working servo horn by hand and damaging the servo,)

. Servo - Do not turn by hand

. Servo - FAQ : Metal Gear Servos - Why MG Servo have a Plastic Primary 1st Gear

. Servo - FAQ : Metal Gear Servos - DIY Repair & Extend MG Servo Gear Life<dt>(shows examples of what causes slop beside wear of servo teeth

.Servo - Burnout. Cause & Prevention

and more below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.</dt>
Old 09-17-2012, 02:53 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All metal geared servos develope slop much faster than the nylon geared ones do. That is the one big disadvantage of metal geared servos.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. One of the links suggest turning one of the gears 180 degrees to use "new" teeth and lube with servo grease. I love saving money as much as the next guy and I can try this but I want to know if this technique is safe. These servos are on the ailerons of an aeroworks 100cc extra 300 and I don't want to take chances with a $2500.00 plane.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those big engines will wreck any servos
One thing which helps - is to balance the ailerons such that they feed back less energy to the gears .
Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: flyerdave Thanks for the help. One of the links suggest turning one of the gears 180 degrees to use "new" teeth and lube with servo grease. I love saving money as much as the next guy and I can try this but I want to know if this technique is safe. These servos are on the ailerons of an aeroworks 100cc extra 300 and I don't want to take chances with a $2500.00 plane.
Thanks
Technique,"turn the middle gears regularily",would not have been mentioned if it were not safe.
"regularily" is the active word, this for a servo from new. If an already "dead"servo with slipping
or jamming gears on a large expensive model, will still work but later failure will be without warning and no doubt
other damage has occured to the posts and sockets in the case as was pictured in that post.
Have used the techniqure on many ancient servo on upto .60 size models and where gear sets are no
longer available for the servo. see also
.Servo - Burnout. Cause & Prevention

Alan T.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:00 PM
karolh

What is the best thing to use for servo grease.

Karol
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: flyerdave Thanks for the help. One of the links suggest turning one of the gears 180 degrees to use ''new'' teeth and lube with servo grease. I love saving money as much as the next guy and I can try this but I want to know if this technique is safe. These servos are on the ailerons of an aeroworks 100cc extra 300 and I don't want to take chances with a $2500.00 plane.
Thanks
Technique, ''turn the middle gears regularily'', would not have been mentioned if it were not safe.
''regularily'' is the active word, this for a servo from new. If an already ''dead'' servo with slipping
or jamming gears on a large expensive model, will still work but later failure will be without warning and no doubt
other damage has occured to the posts and sockets in the case as was pictured in that post.
Have used the techniqure on many ancient servo on upto .60 size models and where gear sets are no
longer available for the servo. see also
. Servo - Burnout. Cause & Prevention

Alan T.
It is not just the gears that go junk
Many cases will suffer from elongation of the gear pivots -this is VERY hard to detect in many cases - th gears tho good will not be in full engagement in many cases
When in doubt change cases and gears
Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: karolh What is the best thing to use for servo grease. Karol
As in the link on gear wear:
Servo - DIY Repair - Lubrication (servo grease)

Alan T.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 PM
karolh

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: karolh What is the best thing to use for servo grease. Karol
As in the link on gear wear:
Servo - DIY Repair - Lubrication (servo grease)

Alan T.
http://<u><font color=''#00265e''>Al...nks</font></u>

Thanks.

Karol