Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

futaba home page states that all of their fm radios

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

futaba home page states that all of their fm radios

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 04:02 PM
FOD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba home page states that all of their fm radios

are narrow band and legal to use.even the old fm G and J type are narrow band so why do i see so many futaba fm's with gold stickers. i know that the receivers were not narrow band.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:27 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: futaba home page states that all of their fm radios

My 4 year old 8U Super got a gold sticker when I sent it in for service and had the module tuned. Could that be what you are seeing?
Old 09-10-2003, 01:02 AM
FOD MAN

i have noticed that on ebay futaba fm radios with the 1991 compliant gold stickers sell at a higher price than a non stickerd fm futaba.all futaba fm transmitters meet the narrow band requirements (as stated on futaba home page) and are legal to use. so i wanted to know why someone would pay a higher price just to have it gold stickered. this does not apply to the older am radios which were not narrow band and of course they would cost more if made 91 compliant.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:29 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

Maybe Liability is the reason.. you know the US is becoming a "regulated" state everything has some regulation.. so if you crash your plane and injure somebody or damage property and it is not gold stickered AMA will not cover the expense....
Old 09-10-2003, 02:30 PM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think that is entirely true.I believe that people are paying more for nothing,because they don't know that the FM radios are "Narrow Band" by definition. I see people here on RC universe state that older radios are "Illegal" to use, without any thought about AM vs FM. Gold sticker has nothing to do with the issue.The "Gold Sticker" program came from the AMA, not the FCC.It isn't needed to be "Narrow Band" and it only indicates that the transmitter did meet the requirement at the date on the sticker.Besides the program ENDED several years ago( any radio that comes out of a repair shop now, has a sticker on it by default/or simply habit). I don't see how the AMA could refuse insurance coverage for a "Legal" transmitter,just because it doesn't have a sticker on it.I could see them not honoring a sticker dated after the end of the "Gold Sticker Program",But they would still have to prove the the transmitter's emissions failed to meet the "Narrow Band" requirements.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:06 AM
the troll
Banned

Interesting some others noticed that many Futaba FM tranamitters were "updated" also.
Of course those that were doing the so called "updates" had no problem taking peoples money. [:@]
Old 09-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

During the early to mid 1990's almost all R/C service centers put a gold sticker on every transmitter they serviced or checked that passed the narrow-band output standards. This was because most modelers and clubs wanted the assurance that the equipment being used was most certainly compliant. That made it easy for people to check the status of a transmitter.

Many compliant tranmitters were sold new with gold stickers for the same reasons.

It became illegal to manufacture and market wide-band R/C transmitters in the early 90's, and it became illegal to use them in 1998. The only reason a person would want a system with a gold sticker is that they want the assurance that an old transmitter complies with the current standards. Unfortunately, many shops, including our own, no longer use the stickers, since they will only work on narrow-band compliant equipment.