Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What radio do I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:46 AM
spinmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What radio do I buy?

I've been away from it for a few years and am looking for a new radio. I'd like to spend in the neighborhood $300. I currently have T8UAF on 72 mhz and it works fine but I would like to upgrade. First of all, can someone tell me the difference between FASST and FHSS? I'm looking at the T7C and the T8J. Am I comparing apples and oranges? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 AM
flazo

Default RE: What radio do I buy?

just Buy a Futaba and stay away from JR Radios.

fred
Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

Buy the Futaba modules for 2.4 that fit the 8UAF. It's a great radio.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:09 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: dwaynenancy

Buy the Futaba modules for 2.4 that fit the 8UAF. It's a great radio.

That is the least expensive way to go and the Futaba system is virtually bullet proof.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:27 AM
spinmeister

Thanks for the advice. I didn't even know there were modules available.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice...or use a Hitec 2.4 module with your radio.  Either way you canalso use a Spektrum dm8 module forbnf indoor or park flyer, if you wish.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flazo

fred
I just gotta ask why?

Kurt
Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

ORIGINAL: flazo

fred
I just gotta ask why?

Kurt
Now that's the same question I'm asking.......why?

Old 09-29-2012, 05:28 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because it's not what HE flies..
Old 09-29-2012, 12:43 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

Althoug You can buy a Futaba TM-8 FASST 2.4 GHz transmitter module for your 8U radio You also need an FASST receiver like Futaba R6008HS or similar FASST reciever (unless You want to use for example FrSky 3rd party compatible receivers that are cheaper to buy).
You probably want new battery pack in your 8U transmitter (like Eneloop 8 cell NiMh, 2000 or 2500 mAh), and new receiver battery pack (You can use LiFe reciever battery pack if you want, light and reliabale, they are at 6.6 volt so if used unregulated use only Futaba 4.8-6 volt capable servos then if you use Futaba servos).
All this upgrade will cost rather much.

If You want to stay with Futaba and want a new radio perhaps the 8FG Super is a good alternative for You?
I use Futaba 14MZ myself but if 8FG Super had been on the market when I bought my 14MZ I would have probably got that instead since it is actually a 14 ch radio and can do much of what a 14MZ can do. The slight negative thing about Futaba today is that they lack Telemetry except for 18MZ but here in Europe we can buy Futaba/Robbe F1666 Telemetry box and Futaba 6308 SBT receiver to get telemetry on existing FASST systems. But this solutionis not avaliable in US (at least not yet).
http://www.algonet.se/~boem/Telemetr...1666/F1666.pdf

FASST was Futaba first 2.4 GHz system forhobby RC system (came in 2005) and FHSS came in 2010 as a little cheaper solution but it is still a full rage system. The newer FASSTest system with telemetry built in is only avaliable so far in the Futaba 18MZ radio. I would guess Futaba rather soon will come out with new FASSTest radios in same range as the existing FASST radios today, but when we do not know.

Spektrum DX8 is probably wise to check out also.
JR XG8 also with it's futuristic look.
Then You have Graupner MX-16 Hoot 2.4 GHz 8 ch radio (also avaliable as 10 ch, MX-20), Hitec Aurora 9 to name some more.

I use Futaba for its reability first and second for the features their radios have that I want/need.

/Bo

Old 09-30-2012, 01:37 AM
spinmeister

Thanks for the help. I'm now looking at the 8FG Super and the DX8. I'm not sure the telemetry means that much to me. It's nice, but in 50 years of modeling I haven't needed it. I thought about buying the Spektrum module and upgrading my 8UAF. It has been a great radio. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 AM
carrellh

Telemetry is a big buzz and is an absolute must for some. Some people have to have it and the rest do not care. I happen to be a ‘do not care’ person regarding RC telemetry.
I believe Airtronics, Futaba, Hitec, JR, and Spektrum all have reliable high quality units. I think feel, features, and price are more important than the string of letters they use to describe their transmission scheme.
I have seen comments that the newer Futaba 8 channel transmitter is ‘small’ and some find it uncomfortable. Others like the size and feel. The best thing you can do is hold the ones you are considering. If you use a strap or tray, take it with you to get a real world feel for the different models. If you do go to a LHS and test drive the stuff, please buy from them rather than ordering online to save 20 or 30 bucks.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:47 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Buy what you can find other locals flying. Check the club and the local hobby shop. You want people who can SHOW YOU when you have a question.

It's a lot better than having to call a support line, or having to ask on a forum.

... if there even IS a forum for an odd brand.

Andy
Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Do your self a favor, and at least take a look at the Airtronics systems. Both the RDS8000 and the SD10G systems are great, with a reasonable price point for the features they have.. Yes, I have other systems ( Hitec, Futaba and JR).. I just like the Reliability of the system, and the program-ability, etc. Especialliy that of the SD10G.

Craig.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Buy what you can find other locals flying. Check the club and the local hobby shop. You want people who can SHOW YOU when you have a question.

It's a lot better than having to call a support line, or having to ask on a forum.

... if there even IS a forum for an odd brand.

Andy
Andy's advice is very good, spinmeister. My primary flying club has a large number of pilots flying Airtronics 2.4Ghz radio systems like the RDS8000, the SD-10g, and the SD-6g. Because pilots shopping for 2.4Ghz radio systems know that they can get questions answered, many of them are continuing to buy Airtronics 2.4Ghz air radios. We've even converted over one of the club trainer aircraft to a pair of Airtronics SD-5g radios for buddy boxing so student pilots can enjoy Airtronics reliability from their very first flight.

There are folks who have stuck with Futaba when making the switch to 2.4Ghz, and they seem equally as happy with their radio systems. These pilots seem to be already familiar with Futaba from past products they've owned, however, and are less likely to need help with programming questions.

Hitec, JR, and Spektrum all make excellent radio systems with their own unique features and advantages as well, but users of these radio platforms are not as common at our club. Because of this, it is sometimes more challenging for club members to get quick answers to question that they might have regarding a Hitec Aurora 9 or a Spektrum DX6i.

At our club, folks with questions about their Airtronics or Futaba radios normally get plenty of help right away. Folks with other brands are usually answered with shrugs and questions about what their manuals say about the subject at hand.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:19 AM
spinmeister

Thanks for your help. I belonged to a club for 25 years but I moved two years ago and the club here does not have many active members. Since I've been flying with Futaba for many years (after Kraft and ProLine), I ended up purchasing the 8FG Super. I just got it and haven't taken it out of the box yet but it should do more than I'll ever need it to. Thanks again for the advice.