Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radios

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 PM
V8-muscle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radios

New comer here. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a controller so the is what I've found:

- Kyosho synchro KT-201. 2.4GHz
Or
- FS- GT3C. 3 Ch. 2.4GHz

what are your reviews on the two? I like the big display on the fly ski (FS).
Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Radios

I doubt that folks are ignoring you. My guess is that these radios are so rare in the overall scheme of RC radios that there aren't many folks who can answer the question. There are drawbacks to buying a less sold brand. For instance, where do you buy extra receivers? Are parts available for them? Who repairs them if there is a catastrophic failure? In other words, what kind of support system do they have? The other end of the spectrum is that any of the big four systems have parts readily available and there are reputable repair depots where repairs can be made at a reasonable cost,

If you are serious about this hobby, the one place where you want to go as big as you can is your radio. Models come and go, but a good radio system lasts for many years. By far the biggest mistake a noobie makes is buying a radio the he will end up replacing in short order for one that will do more things and handle more models. Many folks then buy a middle of the road system and end up replacing that in a year or so. They end up with several perfectly good radios that they will never again use. The one thing that noobies need to do is save their money and buy the most expensive radio that they can possibly afford, one that they are absolutely positive they will never outgrow. It saves money in the long run.

If you are not serious, if this is only going to be an amusing game for you for a short time, buy the one that appeals most to you. If you like the big display on the FlySky, buy it. Just remember that if you ever wish to add another plane, where do you buy another receiver? And who will repair the transmitter or receiver if it becomes necessary?

The very best Futabe, Hitec, Airtronics or JR radio that you, in your wildest imagination, believe you can afford is the way to go.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:57 PM
V8-muscle

Things I did not think of, thanks. Just afraid of the BIG sticker prices!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

The "Big" prices arn't so big when you rapidly out-grow your economy radio or replace it from failure, usually sooner than later. Never heard of the radios you listed, doesn't mean much except they are un-common. Go with the good stuff.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 AM
coriolan

ORIGINAL: V8-muscle

New comer here. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a controller so the is what I've found:

- Kyosho synchro KT-201. 2.4GHz
Or
- FS- GT3C. 3 Ch. 2.4GHz

what are your reviews on the two? I like the big display on the fly ski (FS).
Can't speak for the Kyosho radio system, but the FrySky 3 channels for surface use (FS-03C) has a good following and extra receivers can be had from many dealers for a lot less than the main brand. There is a lot of talks about it on RCG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1381904
http://www.r2hobbies.com/eurgle-2-4g...ht-screen.html
This radio is sold under many brand names (Turnigy,Eurgle,HobbyKing)but they are all build by FrySky:
Here is the manual for the FrySky:
http://site.hobbypartz.com/manual/FS-GT3B-Manual.pdf
Old 09-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

I agree with the advise to stick with the big names and try to buy one that has room for you to grow into. I went through several radios before I finally took the plunge and bought a fairly high end radio.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You really should seriously consider what is flown locally. Your first line of help will be club members and the local hobby shop where you bought the radio.

If you're the only guy in your area flying Brand Q, you can expect very little help.

Andy
Old 09-30-2012, 03:42 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

crap -I just bought a new Q
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You should have brought Libby along, she'd have had more sense than to let you do that

Andy