Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is this a good idea ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Is this a good idea ??

I am currently scratch building a 20cc size sport model and plan on having both elev and rudder servos in the rear of the fuse. Instead of running long servo extension leads with multiple connectors I was thinking of cutting off the female conn from the extension and soldering the three extension leads directly to the servo board. What do you guys think of this idea ??

Karol
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this a good idea ??

If your soldering skills are up to the task, then go for it, you're not adding any extra connections doing it this way.[8D]
I know some will disagree with me, but that last thing I'll ever do is use an extension that's buried in the fuse or wing, but that's just me. The tried and true method of making a staggered solder splice with proper heat shrinking is fine if one doesn't want to solder inside the servo it self.
Pete
Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make your own extensions, they have kits. Servo city has that stuff. Not good to loose the connections if something goes wrong. If you dont want a long run, put a battery and receiver back there or put a receiver back there and just run a power to it
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: karolh I am currently scratch building a 20cc size sport model and plan on having both elev and rudder servos in the rear of the fuse. Instead of running long servo extension leads with multiple connectors I was thinking of cutting off the female conn from the extension and soldering the three extension leads directly to the servo board. What do you guys think of this idea ?? Karol
As in preceding post, for best results use Heavy Duty Servo Wire and stagger joints.
Soldering direct to the receiver board is not recommended. Solder joint, long fly wire to board, leaves a hard non flexible joint which will break with vibration - use the crimped connector plug.
Following will assist:
. Servo - How to calculate Servo Extension Lead Gauge Required for Analogue & Digital Servo
. Servo - Lead Wire DIY Crimp Connectors, Wire Guage & Current Flow Charts pdf

Much more information available below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T
Old 11-17-2012, 05:30 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Think I will opt to use the staggered solder joints with shrink tube method using HD wire instead of my suggestion.

Karol