Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

On/Off switch failed resulting in crash

Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On/Off switch failed resulting in crash

Well I lost my favorite Sunday plane (Tiger 2) due to the On/Off switch failing. I did my preflight check, taxied and when I gave it full throttle I lost communication from tx to rx causing the plane to go full speed down the runway into a metal post. I checked my rx battery voltage it was fully charged, so I connected the rx batt pack directly to the rx and got full response on all my servos. Plugged it back thru the switch (no response). So my question is the following: Is there a switch available that fails in the on position and not in the off position? I would hate to loose another plane or worst yet have someone get hurt due to a bad $4 switch.

Thanks
Ed
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: On/Off switch failed resulting in crash

I use the MPI Miracle switch /regulatoron larger planes.

www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html

Fromco has a few different types of Failsafe switches and I'm sure there are a few other manufactures

www.fromeco.org/Products/04FRCBADSW-420s/

They are electronic switches behind a normal looking slide switch. They also can be incorporated with a regulator (like the MPI) If the switch fails or the wires disconnect(not the main battery wire) the switch remains in the on position.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 259 Likes on 208 Posts

The downside about fail on switches are the fact that they drain power (albiet a very small amount) when plugged in and off so you need to disconnect your reciever battery between flying days.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Warbird40

I always charge my batt pack outside the plane due to me having a small car and transporting planes with wings off....so batt is only in the plane at the field.....I also check voltage on it before every flight right before I do my pre flight check of controls..... Thank you for the links, I will look into those.

Best regards,
Ed
Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run LiPo and LiFe batteries in the planes with "failsafe" switches and honestly , although there is a drain when idle like Andy stated ,I haven't had a problem or noticed any increase in charging times as I leave the batteries  plugged in all of the time until I see they are ready to be charged again and I fly quite a bit. I'm sure it does drain them some and for a casual flier it would be a good idea to disconnect before storing the plane.
Good Luck. I'm sure you will find something.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Checklst

I have always used 2 switches,2 Batts...........I never found the extra weight was a problem.....Tiger 2...Sig 4*40 ect all flew great on duel packs. You could run NoBS battery from Hangtime Hobby.............they have 2 battery leads so only the second switch is needed on a single pack,at lease the switch has a back up.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 PM
snuts

As posted above. I too have been using redundant power in my airborne equipment. I started using it about 1994 as I got into gas. I could see all the benifits, addapting it to my 40 glow stuff at the time. Was a good place to use up all the small factory switches at the time, and 600mah packs.
See attached. Great information from Hangtime Hobbies.
http://www.hangtimes.com/parallel_packs.html

-Snuts-
Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been a known issue in the pylon community for some time. The vibration our planes see causes cheaper switches to fail prematurely. Most use JR gold switches and mount them on rubber. This has cut down on occurance dramatically.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Warbird40

Thank you all for the tips/advise!

Best regards,
Ed
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

+1 on the JR gold switches
ORIGINAL: vicman

This has been a known issue in the pylon community for some time. The vibration our planes see causes cheaper switches to fail prematurely. Most use JR gold switches and mount them on rubber. This has cut down on occurance dramatically.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

[size=3]http://www.qualityrcproducts.com/products_switches.html
I have been using these for several years with zero problems.