Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

IS it hard to change over a mode 1 radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 01:07 AM
Dats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS it hard to change over a mode 1 radio

I'm looking to buy a radio from overseas is it hard to change the radio over to U.S. modeII
Old 09-15-2003, 08:29 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: IS it hard to change over a mode 1 radio

Dats,
If you are purchasing new from overseas, you might want to research how it is going to affect any warranty service you need first...radios bought outside the US are not covered under the US warranty nor are they serviced by the US esrvice center.

that said, no it isnt overly difficult t convert a radio to mode II. if you're unsure how, you might contact someone like radiosouthrc.com to do it for you inexpensively.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:44 PM
Bob_Wilcox
My Feedback: (1)

It depends on the manufacture and model. I fly mode 1 and it is difficult to get them here in the US. However, my Futaba 9C is easy to change from mode 2 to mode 1. The 9ZAP is impossible. I had to buy directly from JR to get a mode 1 10X radio. It must be sent back to JR if I ever sell it. What radio are you going to buy?
Old 09-16-2003, 12:29 AM
MinotRich

OK Folks, it's late and I can't sleep, but, here goes a stupid question/comment. To change modes on a radio can't you just plug the respective servos into different channels on the receiver? What else needs to be done? Seems like the easiest thing to do, or am I missing something here? School me out there all you old timers!
Old 09-16-2003, 02:19 AM
A-STU-DENT

MinotRich , I am not an old timer ...however I do fly mode one and have since I began 20 years ago. The simple answer is mode 1 has the Ratchet throttle joy stick on the right instead of the left. The rest is hooking up your servos where you want them to what control to wich ever stick.So.. with mode 1 the right joy stick is throttle up and down and aileron left and right...the left is elevator up and down and ruder left and right. If you are a mode 2 flyer it is theoretical to use the left stick of a mode one and fly with the single stick ( but the steering here will be rudder turning instead of aileron). SO...to make a radio Mode 1 you have to take the back off and move the racthet surface mechanism from the left side the right, this involves removing some screws and springs and puting the the parts from onMinotRich , I am not an old timer ...however I do fly mode one and have since I began 20 years ago. The simple answer is mode 1 has the Ratchet throttle joy stick on the right instead of the left. The rest is hooking up your servos where you want them to what control to which ever stick.So.. with mode 1 the right joy stick is throttle up and down and aileron left and right...the left is elevator up and down and ruder left and right. If you are a mode 2 flier it is theoretical to use the left stick of a mode one and fly with the single stick ( but the steering here will be rudder turning instead of aileron). SO...to make a radio Mode 1 you have to take the back off and move the ratchet surface mechanism from the left side the right, this involves removing some screws and springs and putting the the parts from one side to the other. The Radio uses the same part guts for the joy sticks inside...giving you identical work areas from one side to the other.IE- one side will have screw holes with nothing in them on one side and all you have to do is study the mechanism to figure how to switch the spring from one side and the gear to the other. This no doubt voids your warranty. But years ago you could not order it in mode 1. The reason for me using Mode 1? Well real air planes use the Mode 2 single yolk aileron and elevator ...but to me ( my opinion ) the model is not a real airplane. The model flies in the same air with the same molecule sizes...but the model being a smaller craft is effected allot more by very very small finger movements. This...to me...makes the single stick steering combo to hard to control aileron while holding the EXACT elevator position and vise versa. To me..have the elevator away from the aileron keeps each task separate. I can easily fly both Modes ...I just like being precise. And GOSH I don't mean to open a can of worms. The mode is an individual choice ...no rights or wrongs...Fun is the final outcome Mark