Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

how do I use the trainer function on spektrum dx8 and 6

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

how do I use the trainer function on spektrum dx8 and 6

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default how do I use the trainer function on spektrum dx8 and 6

<hr size="1" style="background-color: #c5ccd3; color: #c5ccd3" />
I had a dx6i that I used when I first got into flying,, I now have a dx8.
I gave the dx6i to my wife and want her to use it to fly her trainer,, I thought I could use my transmitter as a master(dx8) because the plane is binded to my tx, and then use hers as a slave.
I plugged the cord into my transmitter, and then hers, turned the plane on,turned my tx on depressed and held my trainer button, and tried using the dx6 with it turned off, but nothing, tried it with it on, nothing, tried it with the dx6 trainer button held on, and my trainer button on, what the heck am I missing.
I thought mine had to be on, hers had to be off, and as long as I hold the trainer button, she can fly with her tx.
any help would be appreciated, this has me confused.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: how do I use the trainer function on spektrum dx8 and 6

ORIGINAL: raron455 I had a dx6i that I used when I first got into flying,, I now have a dx8.
I gave the dx6i to my wife and want her to use it to fly her trainer,,
I thought I could use my transmitter as a master(dx8) because the plane is binded to my tx, and then use hers as a slave.
I plugged the cord into my transmitter, and then hers, turned the plane on,turned my tx on depressed and held my trainer button,
and tried using the dx6 with it turned off, but nothing, tried it with it on, nothing, tried it with the dx6 trainer button held on,
and my trainer button on, what the heck am I missing.
I thought mine had to be on, hers had to be off, and as long as I hold the trainer button, she can fly with her tx.
Following may assist:
Spektrum buddy system
posts #10 onward deal specifically with a DX8 &DX6i
. Spektrum - P-Link Setup slave "instruction manual errors"
Spektrum - Buddy Trainer . DX6i product recall . NB never plug in a mono plug, use stereo plug only to avoid short circuit.
. Spektrum - Buddy Trainer . DX6i <> DX5e
. Spektrum - Buddy Trainer DX7 & E-Flite Blade Tx

See also Bruce's short answer (post #2) on crosspost
How do I use spektrum trainer dx8 and dx6
"Trainer input is inhibited by default. To activate it you have to enter System Setup (hold down the rolling selector while turning the DX8 on)
and go into the Trainer menu.
The best option to choose is Pilot Link, as this accepts stick inputs from the DX6i while using all the trims/mixes/etc. that are programmed into the DX8.
Select a spare model memory in the DX6i and reset it to clear out any old settings.
You do not need to touch any trims or other settings (servo reversing etc.) as this is all done in the master radio.
You must leave the DX6i's power switch off (it will turn on in slave mode when the trainer cord is plugged in). "

with more under sub Section "Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes, Flight Simulator & Interface." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

.<dl> <dt>

</dt></dl>
Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Aerocal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: raron455

<hr size=''1'' style=''background-color: #c5ccd3; color: #c5ccd3'' />
I had a dx6i that I used when I first got into flying,, I now have a dx8.
I gave the dx6i to my wife and want her to use it to fly her trainer,, I thought I could use my transmitter as a master(dx8) because the plane is binded to my tx, and then use hers as a slave.
I plugged the cord into my transmitter, and then hers, turned the plane on,turned my tx on depressed and held my trainer button, and tried using the dx6 with it turned off, but nothing, tried it with it on, nothing, tried it with the dx6 trainer button held on, and my trainer button on, what the heck am I missing.
You have the plane bound to the DX8.Yes it will be the master.Go the the System Setup menu and scroll down to Trainer.Click on it an open the Trainer menu.Select P-Link.Exit back to Mainscreen.
Put the DX6i on a blank model position.Do a reset on that position to confirm its settings are all at default.Turn the DX6i off.
Turn DX8 on and leave DX6i power switch off.The slave(DX6i) will power itself up when the cable is plugged in.Plug cable into both radios.
Go to Monitor screen on the DX8 and press the Trainer button while observing the values on the Monitor.Use trims on the 6i if necessary so the values on the Monitor do not change as the Trainer button is toggled On and Off.Once you have done that then you can power up the model.Check controls.Press Trainer button and check that controls are now with the 6i and are correct.Use extra caution if it is electric to restrain and stay clear of prop while checking. While using P-Link only the primary controls are handed off to the Slave when Trainer is activated.Any mixes and the switches to control them or Aux channels will remain in control of the master.Only the stick inputs are used on the Slave(student).
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Aerocal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also suggest if you havent done any buddy boxing before that before you get to the flying part work out a clear dialog of commands/words you will both say to communicate what each is doing and when.Master asks student "Are you ready?" student says "yes or "no".If "yes" then simultaneously say "its yours" or "you got it" or whatever phrase you like to use.try to be consistent with your wording and do it the same everytime.Try to get the student of getting in the habit of saying "I got it" when they actually know they have controlWork out something for the student to say if they are disoriented or are just ready for the master to take back over."Take it" works pretty good .Dont expect the student to have the presence of mind to say it though.It usually degenerates to something more like "Oh no" or some variation of "oh $&!T".Be prepared to release button and recover.This will likely happen alot at first.Try not to take over too soon as the student kind of starts to get it.
You may also want to go into the 6i and set the rates down a bit and/or put some Expo into the Slave(student) to make it easier to control at first.You dont want to have low rates on the Master as you may need full throws to regain control ASAP after the student puts it in an awkward orientation.

Thats the basic way to start.