Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Twin engine mix Futaba 9C

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 AM
eagle 01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin engine mix Futaba 9C

Hi;ANyone still remember how to mix the engines on a Futaba 9C Want to use 3@5 I believe but have tried it and can't get it to work know I am just not setting something to the rite combination!Have done it in the past but sure can't get things correct now!Just want to link them but be able to control them separately! I have flown lot of twins but was long ago just forgot how to set up TX. The FAQ at the FUtaba site gives some info but is beyond me and far more complicated system than I am looking for .Have 3 big twin seaplanes then will need to get more complex to use the engine steer etc but for now just trying toget an ordinary old DA twin in the air!Thanks!!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 AM
JIMF14D

Default RE: Twin engine mix Futaba 9C

Well Icannot tell you how to do it on your TX but Ihave done it on a Hitec Aurora 9. for a BH models OV-1 Mohawk.

Read down through the stuff below and you will see how someone else did it on a twin aero star. This was on RCGroups and you probably can find the whole thing there.
Have fun

Hobbico's Twinstar ARF Converted to Electric!
Article Stats
Hits: 16856

RADIO PROGRAMMING

Using my Futaba 9C Transmitter, I was able to program dual rates and exponential as well as several interesting mixes for this model. I programmed Aileron/Rudder coupling, dual motors, and Rudder/Motor differential thrust.

Differential thrust allows you to speed up one motor and slow down the other motor in response to rudder input commands. This greatly aids in ground handling and adds a little something extra to snap rolls and spins.

To program differential thrust, begin by setting up one of your program mixes for dual throttle. Plug a spare servo into channel 3 of your receiver and a second spare servo into one of your AUX channels. Set your mix with the throttle as the master and the AUX as the slave. Set this mix as always “on” by choosing any switch and the “null” position. Use 100% for the mix amount. Verify that both servos move in the same direction and move the same amount from idle to full throttle positions.

Next set up a second program mix with the Rudder as master and Throttle as the slave. Choose a switch to activate this function and use a mix amount of 25%. Verify that the servo in channel 3 moves toward the up throttle position when left rudder is applied and toward down throttle when right rudder is applied. If not, change the mix amount to –25% and test the movement again. (Leave link OFF so that it doesn't try to command the aux2 servo to move also.)

Finally set a third program mix with the Rudder as master and AUX as the slave. Choose the same switch and position that you used for the second mix and again use 25% for the mix amount. Verify that the servo in the AUX position moves toward the up throttle position when right rudder is applied and toward the down throttle position when left rudder is applied. If not, change the mix amount to –25% and test the movement again.

Now we are ready to check the programming on the plane. Plug the right hand motor ESC into channel 3 and the left hand motor ESC into the AUX channel. Turn off the switch that controls the differential thrust mixing. Turn on your radio and plug in your batteries to the ESC’s.

First, verify that the throttle control operates both motors in normal fashion. Hold the airplane securely and move the throttle stick from idle to full power. Both motors should track each other from idle to full bore. Now set the throttle stick to the idle position and switch on the differential thrust-mixing switch. Slowly advance the throttle until both motors barely begin to turn. Now move the rudder stick to give full right rudder command. The left motor should speed up and the right motor should stop. Left rudder command should cause the right motor to speed up and the left motor to stop. Taxi test your model, switching the differential thrust “off” and “on” to test the effectiveness of the 25% setting. If you have a paved runway, you may want to reduce the mix amount to 15%.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 AM
eagle 01

Jim:Thanks for the reply.Forgot to mention am glow!That is the set-up for the twin with steering linked to the rudder plan to use it on seaplane in the future!!Some p0f tjhat is greek to me,the turms that is.Hopefully someone with a 9c can tell me which things to turn on and off etc!Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!!!Now will do another post I have a throttle that goes full open when shut off.Not nice !!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM
JIMF14D

It does to full throttle when you shut off the TX?

By the way, that set up is for a 9C. I think glow would be pretty much the same type set up. You would need some programmable mixes and mix rudder into each throttle.

Be carefull with it and only use a little mix at first or your seaplane may become at corkscrew lawn dart if you chop the throttle and one engine quits and the other goes to full power....)

Have fun.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 PM
eagle 01

Yes could get exciting so far my electric PBYs stay with channel 3 and a Y harness but the other idea sounds neat but not sure if I could ever figure it out even with instructions!Have the Canadaire from Nitro and that 9'PBY figure with them better get that mix figured out as steering seaplanes can be fun .Really sounds like set up properly that engine rudder link could make them much more maneuverable but I have seen the instructions for doing it and is scary!! Also definitely need to turn it off before in the air.That means a throttle to rudder mix,then mix to turn the function off when start to fly don't want to try to fly that way! Then want it to revert back to normal twin control! Sounds like a night mare!!!!! Thanks for the replies and Happy Flying!!