Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HiTech svo reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 11:27 PM
jhunter
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HiTech svo reverse

Hi, I have electric mains that are working opposite of each other, one up, the other down. I use a Fut 6XAS and cannot mix it away. The servo's are HiTech HS75BB retracts, what wires would I switch internally to get an opposite rotation? The gear are from Excalibur model products, a dear friend who is no longer with us, but I do want to use his retracts, thanks.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:16 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HiTech svo reverse

I believe you simply reverse the wires on the servo motor.

I would contact Hitec, they'll be offer to exacting knoweledge. The link below is for the Hitec Support Forum here at RCU

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Hite...umid_53/tt.htm
Old 09-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to contradict Mglavin.

You MUST reverse the wires on the POT and the MOTOR. If you only reverse the wires on the motor it will smoke the servo in about 2 seconds.

On a Hitec servo there are usually 2 wires on the MOTOR. Reverse these.

There are 3 wires on the POT. Reverse the 2 OUTSIDE wires on the pot. Don't touch the CENTER wire on the POT.

I've done this before to avoid using a servo reverser on dual elevator setup. Works perfectly.

The reason why you can't simply reverse the wires on the motor is because:
The pot and the motor work together. As the motor turns in a certain direction- dependant on your stick inputs from the TX--the pot registers how far the motor has traveled and then the pot delivers the required power to achieve the desired amount of rotation.

If you were to reverse the wires on the motor and not the pot, they would be trying to work in opposite directions. The pot would be trying to send power to the motor in order to make it move, say, clockwise. But the motor would actually be moving counterclockwise. The pot continues to push power to the motor to make it move clockwise and all the while the motor is staining to rotate the other direction. It takes about 2 seconds for things to reach critical heat levels and your servo goes up in smoke. Don't ask how I learned this.

Oh, what the hell, I can admit it. I learned it the hard way.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:15 PM
jhunter

thank you gentlemen, after I posted last night I laid in bed thinking what the hey, I think they worked normally when I bought the plane! I used to have a set of Likes Line retracts thad had a common switch that worked great, just one push and it all worked. I called Likes but got no answer. I'm recently moved from WA and might have misplaced a switch he had on the harness, maybe. Thanks Rcpilet for the excellent directions, I kept thinking of that Mel Gibson flick, do I cut the BLUE or the RED!!!!!!!! Boom! I will see if the mechanics of the retract will allow for the arm to move in the other direction and make the mod.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:09 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rcpilet

I concur, I forgot to mention the "pot". The only caveat is newer servos may require some creative wire extensions and or modifications. These maybe in order as the pot and motor are integral components of the PC board.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:10 AM
jhunter

Gentlemen, thanks for the advice, I swapped wires and now my retracts work properly, piece of cake!