Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Back in the saddle.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 PM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the saddle.

I have been away from the hobby for 2 years. My sons wanted to get back into flying again. So we joined AMA and local club. But I sold my dx7! Well, I just bought a spektrum dx8, just unboxed it tonight. I love the back lite screen! There is alot of learning to do on this transmitter! Ive got till saturday to figure it out, thats when we will set to the sky!
We have been keeping our skills up with the micro planes in the yard but we havent flown anything bigger in 2 years.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Back in the saddle.

ORIGINAL: ejam

I have been away from the hobby for 2 years. My sons wanted to get back into flying again. So we joined AMA and local club. But I sold my dx7! Well, I just bought a spektrum dx8, just unboxed it tonight. I love the back lite screen! There is alot of learning to do on this transmitter! Ive got till saturday to figure it out, thats when we will set to the sky!
We have been keeping our skills up with the micro planes in the yard but we havent flown anything bigger in 2 years.
Make sure you Register it on the Spektrum site and Upgrade to the latest Firmware. They just released a Sailplane update that adds more Sailplane functionality. The last Firmware update before the Sailplane update was v2.06. The radios are not always shipped with the latest Firmware. You download it to your PC, transfer it to your SD card (be sure the filename is spelled correctly). Put the SD card in the Tx and power it up.

The DX8 is so easy to program. Many Wing Types and Tail Types. When you choose Wing and Tail Types, the radio picks the channels that are used and you can view them on the Monitor Screen so you know where to connect the servos to the Rx. If you do not use an Rx with 8ch or better, the Wing and Tail types may pick channels that are not on the Rx. In that case, you have to choose Normal Wing and Tail Types and use the Programmable Mixers to get the mixes you need. There is quite a bit of info on Back Mixing on the DX8 threads.

Great radio.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Plus you got the guy who wrote the original DX8 code reading the forum

Andy
Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for adding sailplane programming to the DX8.   Now I can recommend it to new sailplane pilots.  Always had to point them to non-spektrum radios if they needed to be under $600.