Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 18Mz Programing Solutions and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM
dslivingston
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 18Mz Programing Solutions and Questions

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:43 pm Post subject: Futaba 18Mz Programing Solutions and Questions

Today I spoke with Futaba Support for some help on programing the 18MZ and S.bus servos. They were helpful but left me wondering.
Once a plane has been assembled and all servos initially programed, why can I not connect my 18MZ to the serial bus through the S.bus port and call up any servo and change its parameters. Support told me this was not possible and that I would have to connect each servo separately and them change the programing. This is not easily done on a large turbine aircraft.
After some thought I pulled out a small lot of four BLS175HV servos and started an experiment.

1. I set up a new model in the 18MZ
2. I programed each servo with a different channel number and recorded its MAC address.
3. I then took two hubs and linked them together and attached all servos along with a battery with switch and connected test system to the s.bus connector on the 18MZ
4. I found I was able to access and program any servo that I wanted without a problem following these steps:
a. Turn on the radio.
b. Switch on the power to the test system
c. Go to the SYSTEM Menu and select S.BUS servo
d. Input the channel ID I wanted to change along with the servo ID.
e. Press the INH button followed by the RECALL button.
f. At his point the servos became active and I could make any changed to the servo that was setup in step “Dâ€.
g. Finally WRITE changes to the servo.
h. Power off the s.bus system.
i. Exit s.bus on the radio.
j. To do the next servo go to step “B†and continue.

Using this procedure I successfully reprogramed four servos on a new turbine without having to dissemble the plane. I did unplug the s.bus cable to the receiver while programing the planes servos.

Question: What is the problem with this procedure and is it documented anywhere?

My next question is about the programing parameters of the s.bus servos. I am unable to find any information on the affects these setting might have.
1. What is SMOOTHER SETTING and what does it affect and control?
2. What SOFT START SETTING and what does it affect and control?
3. What is BOOST SETTING and what does it affect and control?
4. What is NEUTRAL OFFSET and what does it affect and control?
5. What is DAMPER FACTOR and what does it affect and control?
6. What is STRETCHER GAIN and what does it affect and control?

Last but not least: How can I switch from Home 1 to Home 2 with the CD-SW or any switch? Having to unlock the touch screen to do this is a real pain while flying and will create other issues by inadvertently touching something else by accident.