Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Switching from aurora 9 to dx18

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Matt90BR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching from aurora 9 to dx18

Hello everyone.
Recently I've been looking at the DX18 tx, and I'm seriously considering switching from my hitec A9 to this new radio ( Spektrum DX18).
There is nothign wrong with my aurora. Actually I think it's an amazing radio, especially for its flexibility for customization.

The reason I am considering exchanging the radio is because of the simple fact that I found a buyer for my radio that is willing to pay pretty much the same I originally spent on it, except i'm keeping the servos that came with it.
In other words, I've got a chance to invest a little more on a new radio...
So here are a few questions:
Will I be able to assign any switch on the DX18 to any function, like I do on the aurora 9?
Also, will I need to buy any telemetry equipment to get the rx battery voltage on the radio, or is it built in like on the Hitec A9?

So, what do you guys think? In your opinion is it worth selling my A9 and getting the DX18?

Thanks in advance.
Matt
Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: Switching from aurora 9 to dx18

Telemetry is built in.

The switch assignments are extremely flexible
Old 04-19-2013, 06:57 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Even moreso now with the latest update, because you just wiggle the switch you want to have activate the function.

Andy
Old 04-19-2013, 07:08 AM
Whistling Death

Yeah Matt go ahead, you can't lose.
I am going to do the same thing as soon as I can get the funds together. I love my A9 but I need more channels. Hitec doesn't seem to be interested in expanding their radios to include one with more than 9 channels. We have been asking for more channels from the beginning but that has fallen on deaf ears. They came out with a new A9 but I see no need to purchase another 9 channel.
The DX 18 is the best radio on the market, it has everything I will need and it is here today. The Spektrum receivers are better overall than Hitec's as well.
Yep, I plan on making the switch sometime this year.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Even moreso now with the latest update, because you just wiggle the switch you want to have activate the function.

Andy
I LOVE that feature on my 11X, no more trying to figure out what Aux2 switch is, just bring up the assignment screen, flip the switch or move the slide you want, and its done
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Aerocal

Matt
On the Rx end you will need a TM (telemetry) module separate from the Rx to send the telemetry back to the Tx.Advantage and disadvantage here I guess depending how you look at it.While it may not be a completely all in one deal for simple Rx voltage it does make it compatible with all Rxs.It allows those of us that already have older Rxs to add telemetry easily without orphaning all of our older Rxs.
The way Spektrum seems to come out with new stuff I also kind of expect to see a Rx with basic telemetry built in somewhere in the future.Maybe not.The separate TM module isnt a real PITA.Theres also the advantage of being modular.Kind of like avoiding a phone,fax,answering machine all in one was.A problem with any one function kind of renders the whole unit useless.

Im kind of partial to my DX radios.The DX18 is a good choice.Its hard to give advise.The A9 is a good radio too.You just kind of have to examine your wants/needs and compare the feature sets really close to get an idea of what is going to be right for you.Im really happy with my DX18 and the close support we get with all the DX radios.The features seem to evolve and advance alot faster than any other radios as well.Spektrum seems to keep a close eye out on how we are using them to give us more of what we want/need in the update process.
The ones who actually make it happen are directly involved with the users on various forums(Thanks Andy) to make new things happen pretty darn quickly and help us understand how to use them.
Huge plus in my book.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Matt90BR

Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks Aerocal for explaining to me how the telemetry works on the 18x.
It seems to me Spektrum is indeed doing a great job in bringing the consumers what they ask for.
I sold my A9. It was hard to let it go... The radio was great and I never had any problems with it, but from what I'm hearing I will not regret switching to the 18x.

I won't be flying in a while, so I plan on buying the radio in a couple of months. I can't wait to get the radio!

Thanks again everyone.
Matt