Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A really dumb thing to do....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A really dumb thing to do....

So tonight I decided to cycle (edit - test) the batteries in my 2 JR11xs.....

Disabled the inactivity timer and left them both turned on....Forgot about them....

Then tried to watch a movie on my Apple TV... which has worked flawlessly for months....

Couldn't get a movie to play.. couldn't stream anything via the laptop or direct from ITunes... What the!.....

Spent hours troubleshooting.. testing a 2nd Apple TV.. same result....No joy.. reconfigured both of them from scratch... nothing worked...a night wasted....

The low voltage alarm goes off on TX number 1..... I turn it off....A few minutes later, same thing on TX2.. I turn it off..

Presto.. the Apple TV suddenly works flawlessly again.....

Rob is an idiot!.....
Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A really dumb thing to do....

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

So tonight I decided to cycle the batteries in my 2 JR11xs.....

Disabled the inactivity timer and left them both turned on....Forgot about them....

Then tried to watch a movie on my Apple TV... which has worked flawlessly for months....

Couldn't get a movie to play.. couldn't stream anything via the laptop or direct from ITunes... What the!.....

Spent hours troubleshooting.. testing a 2nd Apple TV.. same result....No joy.. reconfigured both of them from scratch... nothing worked...a night wasted....

The low voltage alarm goes off on TX number 1..... I turn it off....A few minutes later, same thing on TX2.. I turn it off..

Presto.. the Apple TV suddenly works flawlessly again.....

Rob is an idiot!.....
I am sure we all have done something like that before.

If the Tx batteries are NiCad/NiMh, it is much better and safer to use a Cycling charger. If the Tx batteries are Lithium, it is totally unnecessary.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I am sure we all have done something like that before.

If the Tx batteries are NiCad/NiMh, it is much better and safer to use a Cycling charger. If the Tx batteries are Lithium, it is totally unnecessary.
I was surprised it caused so much interference to the Apple TVs because the rest of the wifi seemed to work normally on the laptop and Ipads....

But yes it did.....

Batts are 1500 Mah NIMh, (stock with the JR11X) and it wasn't actually for cycling purposes.. I use both radios equally and one seemed like the battery was losing capacity much faster than the other...

So last night I charged both fully and did a side by side comparison this afternoon / evening.. ... Both ran from full charge for more than 7 hours matching voltage drop all the way and hit low voltage alarm within 15 minutes of each other.. I guess the packs are ok..
Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM
snuts

Rob, Nice story.
(real life)
Not only did you get a nice warm fuzzy feeling about your transmitters duration. But you get a pat on the back (well from me anyways) for being just another human. Ha. I like it knowing how much more I may fit into this big-big world.

-Snuts-

Imagine where I got that handle, Oh-SNUTS!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't feel bad as we all have our brain fart moments at one time or the other. Some of the dumb dumb stories I could tell you, you would die laughing.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Rob2160

Thanks Snuts and karolh I have a long track record of missing the obvious....

Left both TX's on charge all night and one is now 11.8V and the "suspect" one is only 11.2V. Can't figure out why... . .

Edit.. swapped batteries in the two TXs , and the problem followed the battery... I'll try charging again with other charger...

Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 AM
snuts

Reminisant of the Ni-Cd/Ni-Mh days. Starting around new years, cycle all my packs, and evaluate. Still applies here. Sounds like you have experiance in battery management. Lots could benifit from these old tried, and true time consuming exercises.

-Snuts-
Old 04-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Aerocal

NI-Cd has kind of gone by the wayside.Capacity was just way too limited for what we expect these days. IMO NiMh is still a valuable asset. I go a step farther and make sure I have plenty of shrinktube for the standard pack configurations.Cut the shrink off and load test the individual cells as part of my seasonal performance tests and then reshrink them.Occasionally Ill break a wimpy cell out and match them
with one that is equal to the rest of the pack and nurse it for another season.