Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec 5625 servo play

Old 06-09-2013, 05:50 PM
dszabo2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec 5625 servo play

I have a pair of 5625 sevos that have been in service for about 5 year on my Fusion 67" ailerons. I recently was flying and had a a large amount flutter on the ailerons and when I brought the plane down I noticed a significant amount of play in both servos. Hard to measure but I would guess it's a couple of degrees. I changed all the gears however the play is still the same.

Any thoughts on what else should be replaced?

Dave
Old 06-09-2013, 07:19 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Hitec 5625 servo play

The pots are worn out. Send them back to Hitec for replacement
Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dszabo2
I have a pair of 5625 sevos that have been in service for about 5 year on my Fusion 67" ailerons. I recently was flying and had a a large amount flutter on the ailerons and when I brought the plane down I noticed a significant amount of play in both servos. Hard to measure but I would guess it's a couple of degrees. I changed all the gears however the play is still the same.
Any thoughts on what else should be replaced? Dave
At that age, check the inside of the cases for any where where the posts fit and lubricate the gears after
checking the photo attached:
. Servo - FAQ : Metal Gear Servos - DIY Repair & Extend MG Servo Gear Life

. Servo - Burnout. Cause & Prevention .

. Servo - DIY Repair - Lubrication (servo grease)

Much more information available under sub sections
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very lucky to even have the plane to put servos in!! Buy new servos. Take no chances..
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: warbird72

Very lucky to even have the plane to put servos in!! Buy new servos. Take no chances..
Sometimes spending money is not the answer. If it make you feel better, OK. The electronics in the servo does not wear out and you know it works. Also the motor has many more hours than 5 years of flying.
Just replacing the pot and the gears will make a new servo out of it. It may be Hitec will decide to just send you a new servo at 1/2 the price instead of fixing it.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 AM
MikeMayberry

Check the case tops where the second pin is supported... if this is worn is can cause slop.

Mike.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:20 AM
dirtybird

Whats the deal on that pin Mike? I have a servo where the pin worked its way thru the case. Obviously the servo quit. I glued the pin back with thin CA. Dont know if I trust it though.
Are new case tops available?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know!! I have really never see the reps get on a site to try to resolve stuff. AAA+++ Hitec!! Keep up the great work. My eclipse 7 still going strong after your repair.. Thanks Mike..
Old 06-10-2013, 03:21 PM
MikeMayberry

Hitec makes servos at all levels... the high end products like the 7954SH and up use brass bushings to support the pins since they have much more torque. Just as gears can wear, cases can wear as well so you should check for this over time to be on the safe side. Worst case scenario is that the pin can move so much that it locks up the gear train.

Mike.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:46 PM
dszabo2

Mike

Thanks for the advice on the pin. I took the servo apart today and the hole in the case seemed to have a relatively good fit to the pin. However when I manually rotated the servo arm with the case off I was able to see how the center pin deflects. I was getting the same slop with the case off as when it is on.

Based on the fit into the case I cant imagine the pin being able to move at all. How deep the the pin engage the case??

I have $18 already invested in the repair and the case is another $7. That's more than half the cost of a new servo.

Dave
Old 06-11-2013, 02:03 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dszabo2 Mike
Thanks for the advice on the pin. I took the servo apart today and the hole in the case seemed to have a relatively good fit to the pin.
However when I manually rotated the servo arm with the case off I was able to see how the center pin deflects.
I was getting the same slop with the case off as when it is on.
Based on the fit into the case I cant imagine the pin being able to move at all. How deep the the pin engage the case??
I have $18 already invested in the repair and the case is another $7. That's more than half the cost of a new servo.
Dave
Please view the photo of damaged pin sockets in the case tops and read the information on MG servo provided post #3 above

Pin should be a tight fit into the case which is well documented with photos and information on shaft wear, under:
. Hitec - HS-225MG & HS-5245MG "How to make a good servo a great servo

Much more information available under sub section:
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:41 PM
dszabo2

Thanks to all for the help. I will replace the center shaft per AT recommendation

Dave