Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba receivers

Old 07-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Flytoolow
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba receivers

I am in the process of upgrading my hanger...I am going from old Airtronics stylus to a Futaba 12FGA. Where do you get your best deal on R617FS receivers?

Thanks in advanced!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba receivers

eBay. Just my 2c
Old 07-18-2013, 03:27 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flytoolow

I am in the process of upgrading my hanger...I am going from old Airtronics stylus to a Futaba 12FGA. Where do you get your best deal on R617FS receivers?

Thanks in advanced!
I have 7 of the R617FS receivers in various planes and helicopters, bought at local hobbyshops for around $100 each (In Australia) they are an excellent receiver.

If you are happy to try some cheaper versions I can highly recommend this receiver.. I have 5 of them, 3 in Helis and two in Fixed wing aircraft and more than 2 years of reliable operation with all of them.

They have been just as good as the 617FS in my experience for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_S_Spec.html

Here are a couple of vids showing the receivers in action..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIWgfgvxAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruiuZahglQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJuOiH5sQ0o

Failing that, try local hobbyshops.. if you buy a few they might give you a deal.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:44 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I use the HobbyKing Orange Receivers in several of my Planes without any problems and for a fraction of the price of the Futaba Receivers; if you are reluctant to use anything but Futaba be prepared to pay the money, you may find them cheaper on Ebay; what I have done, I use the expensive Futaba Receivers on my more expensive Planes and the HobbyKing receivers on my less expensive and Combat Planes.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dasintex

I use the HobbyKing Orange Receivers in several of my Planes without any problems and for a fraction of the price of the Futaba Receivers; if you are reluctant to use anything but Futaba be prepared to pay the money, you may find them cheaper on Ebay; what I have done, I use the expensive Futaba Receivers on my more expensive Planes and the HobbyKing receivers on my less expensive and Combat Planes.

You subscribe to the idea that more expensive means "better performance".
Do the cheap ones ever fail you?
My own experience with 2.4 is that performance is keyed to proper setup and power - not cost of product.

The last two unexplained crashes at out field were carefully setup - tx/rx -most expensive available.- however I really don't think the rx's were the problem
We setup our expensive models with the same moderately priced radios -but pay lots of attention to rx placement and power delivery setup - NO regulators.
I firmly believe most crashes are NOT the tx or rx irrespective of brand.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

NO! I do not subscribe to the Idea that more expensive is better!; when I switched to 2.4GHz I went ahead and purchased the more expensive Futaba 2.4GHz Receivers, that was before the Hobby King Orange were available or that I became aware of them, at that time, I continued to use the 72MHz Receivers in my least expensive planes and certainly my Combat Planes, I wasn't about to put expensive Futaba 2.4 RXs in my Combat Planes that were prone to midairs and possible destruction of the receivers; then when Hobby King Orange were available I bought a bunch of them to replace the 72MHz Receivers in my combat Planes and all my other less expensive planes so my entire fleet in now on 2.4GHz, I would not have a problem putting the less expensive Hobby King Orange 2.4GHz Receivers in any plane.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM
rmh

sounds like a plan
Old 07-18-2013, 04:35 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: rmh

We setup our expensive models with the same moderately priced radios -but pay lots of attention to rx placement and power delivery setup - NO regulators.
Got a question for you.

I'm a long-time 72 mHz user, finally getting onboard the 2.4 train with a new Futaba 12Z (purchased about a week before they discontinued the thing
).

It is my understanding that its best to use a five cell/6V receiver pack with 2.4, the better to prevent a voltage drop "brown-out". My problem here is that most of my servos are specifically NOT recommended for use with six volts (Futaba 9252). Yes, I know tons of folks say they do it with no issue, but I see no reason to tempt fate. My plan was to put a regulator inline between battery and receiver to drop the voltage down to 5V or so. But you seem to advise against this. Moot point so far, because I haven't been able to find a suitable regulator.

Here's my question: how much of a chance am I taking on flying with a four cell/4.8V pack? All my receiver packs are higher-capacity NiMH; 1650mAh on a Kougar, 3600mAh on an H9 27% Extra 260. These are the "slimers" I'm converting to 2.4; the other ones will likely be e-power, since I'm getting into that now as well with an E-Flite Pulse XT 25, with plans for other electric models.

There are some guys at my club flying lots of sport planks on 2.4 with 4.8V packs, but they crash a lot too. Still, as you alluded to, that might have more to do with their generally sloppy approach to the hobby in general.

Anyway... I'm asking you because you have always seemed to know what you're talking about (I've been on this board a bloody loooong time), and I have been unable to get a straight answer out of certain industry 'experts'.

Thanks for your time... I feel like a frigging noob all over again...[&o]

Old 07-18-2013, 04:53 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Best quality in an after market Futaba compatible receiver and from a U.S. store. FrSky TFR8S - 8 Channel FASST Compatible Receiver http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ompatible.html
Old 07-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: RAMFlyer

Best quality in an after market Futaba compatible receiver and from a U.S. store. FrSky TFR8S - 8 Channel FASST Compatible Receiver http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ompatible.html
Yes, these are excellent also.. I have two of the 7 channel versions. I did all my own range testing and they seem also equal to the genuine Futaba RX..

Haven't got around to using them in aircraft or helis yet but would have full confidence to do so.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Flyfalcons

ORIGINAL: LSP972

Got a question for you.

I'm a long-time 72 mHz user, finally getting onboard the 2.4 train with a new Futaba 12Z (purchased about a week before they discontinued the thing
).

It is my understanding that its best to use a five cell/6V receiver pack with 2.4, the better to prevent a voltage drop ''brown-out''. My problem here is that most of my servos are specifically NOT recommended for use with six volts (Futaba 9252). Yes, I know tons of folks say they do it with no issue, but I see no reason to tempt fate. My plan was to put a regulator inline between battery and receiver to drop the voltage down to 5V or so. But you seem to advise against this. Moot point so far, because I haven't been able to find a suitable regulator.

Here's my question: how much of a chance am I taking on flying with a four cell/4.8V pack? All my receiver packs are higher-capacity NiMH; 1650mAh on a Kougar, 3600mAh on an H9 27% Extra 260. These are the ''slimers'' I'm converting to 2.4; the other ones will likely be e-power, since I'm getting into that now as well with an E-Flite Pulse XT 25, with plans for other electric models.

There are some guys at my club flying lots of sport planks on 2.4 with 4.8V packs, but they crash a lot too. Still, as you alluded to, that might have more to do with their generally sloppy approach to the hobby in general.

Anyway... I'm asking you because you have always seemed to know what you're talking about (I've been on this board a bloody loooong time), and I have been unable to get a straight answer out of certain industry 'experts'.

Futaba 2.4 receivers have a very low voltage cutout so if your battery setup is working on your 72mhz system then it'll work on Futaba 2.4. Lithium power with regulator works just fine on Futaba 2.4 - don't let anyone tell you any different either.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:38 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

The Futabas sell for around $70 on e-Bay.

Hobbyking has Orange and Corona, I have plenty of flights in those, never had a problem. Can't beat the price.

I like these a lot:

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...receivers.html

I only use the Futabas I have in the more expensive planes, but the 'cheapos' are definitely a good choice.

As far as the batteries go - there is no need to use different batteries if they work fine now. Brownouts do not happen until the voltage drops to a
critical level. And they happen with any receiver. Sometimes the voltage just drops for a split second due to a lot of current draw from the servos.
The rx would shortly stop working and you couldn't even tell something went wrong.

The early spectrums had a longer 'reboot' time, the rx was 'out' for a few seconds which lead to some crashes. But this has been taken care of.

I have been using LiFe batteries with a regulator, they are safer then Lipos and can be charged in less then 30 minutes. HK has great prices on these, too.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

I have two frsky rec and they work great. Will have more.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 AM
Timeflys

Go to the buy and sell on here. The futaba 617 are on here all the time new for $75. A guy from NY sells them alot. I have bought 3 from him. As far as battries just use a regulator at 6v. Say what you will but I personaly would not risk an expensive plane because of a few bucks. Remeber their are experts who think they know everything and then their are good people who do.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:03 AM
rmh

Got a question for you.

).

It is my understanding that its best to use a five cell/6V receiver pack with 2.4, the better to prevent a voltage drop ''brown-out''. My problem here is that most of my servos are specifically NOT recommended for use with six volts (Futaba 9252). Yes, I know tons of folks say they do it with no issue, but I see no reason to tempt fate. My plan was to put a regulator inline between battery and receiver to drop the voltage down to 5V or so. But you seem to advise against this. Moot point so far, because I haven't been able to find a suitable regulator.

Here's my question: how much of a chance am I taking on flying with a four cell/4.8V pack? All my receiver packs are higher-capacity NiMH; 1650mAh on a Kougar, 3600mAh on an H9 27% Extra 260. These are the ''slimers'' I'm converting to 2.4; the other ones will likely be e-power, since I'm getting into that now as well with an E-Flite Pulse XT 25, with plans for other electric models.

4.8 volt servos MAY actually operated just fine on 6 volts - but that is another story.
A reliable 4.8 volt power source is the problem-
Knowing just the battery size -doesn't really help-
you need to know what the "C" rating is on the pack -
Most 4.8 setup run at about 5.1 volts in use-and this is typically the output of BEC-in the ESC used on electric power types.
NIMH batts designed for powering electric cars ar a good source for a 4 cell "4.8" pack.
NOBS Batteries and others sell these packs in various sizes and C ratings.
You can't skimp on this stuff - Futaba will fail as easily as any others- if power droops under load.
As a generalization- the short stubby cells have higher "C" capabilities
buy the largest of these your model can use and then, get a volt/amp meter which plugs into rx/battery harness and test ALL battery setups
If all is OK- the voltage your rx sees - when system is ON but no servo loadings - will be - typically 5..1 or more.
Just sit back and cycle ll th servos and watch the meter - for say - 3-4 minutes .
this isn't a speed test just keep em going .
watch for voltage drop and droop.
sudden small drops reflect a load which is higher than others. find the offender and fix it .
Droop is the voltage drop underloads being applied.
I prefer to never see a voltage droop in excess of ONE (1) volt during the test.
I think I have covered the basics -
Old 07-19-2013, 03:43 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks all.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:02 PM
drube

double post

Old 07-20-2013, 06:05 PM
drube

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

Got a question for you.

).

Futaba 2.4 receivers have a very low voltage cutout so if your battery setup is working on your 72mhz system then it'll work on Futaba 2.4. Lithium power with regulator works just fine on Futaba 2.4 - don't let anyone tell you any different either.
I'm wanting to use a Fromeco 7.4v Litium Ion 2600 mAh and a 6v regulator with my Futaba R617FS Rx... I contacted Futaba and asked them about this, i'm waiting for a reply. Are you sure about this? are you using this set up? What regulator would you suggest?

Old 07-20-2013, 06:27 PM
OliverJacob

I have a few regulators from HK. They work great.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ator-UBEC.html

With a Futaba R617 I'd recommend 5 Volts, not 6.
Just make sure you hook them up between the switch and rx, not directly to the battery. They would drain it when not in use.

Make sure it can deliver enough current, a 3A regulator can not feed a large plane with digital high torque servos....

Old 07-20-2013, 06:42 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

Just make sure you hook them up between the switch and rx, not directly to the battery. They would drain it when not in use.

Make sure it can deliver enough current, a 3A regulator can not feed a large plane with digital high torque servos....

What kind of problems should I be looking for if I use 6v instead of 5v on a 617 receiver?
I just want to know what to look for if I start having problems so that I know that its caused by using 6v
Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 PM
OliverJacob

Probably not a big deal, I see the rx is rated up to 6 Volts. Should be fine with no more then 6 Volts, your standart servos are probably ok with that.
I'd make sure it really does not put out more then these 6 Volts, it could cause damage to the rx or servos.

I have fried a servo this way, it shortened out and took an rx with it...good thing it happened on the ground.

So it's up to you, keep in mind that most regulators will put out a little higher voltage then they are rated for.

I think a Futaba system is totally fine with a 5 Volt regulator, safer then overloading the circuit.

You will get many opinions here, so this is mine and I fly helicopters and up to 1/3 scale planes this way with no problems at all.

Others will tell you they hook up their 6.6 Volt Lipos directly with no problems. I wouldn't

Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 PM
drube

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

I'll be using the Savox 1258TG's www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SC1258TG_Digital_Servo_p/savsc1258tg.htm on a 30cc plane with 6 servos. How do I know what amps I need?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Futaba 617's work fine with 6 Volt (5 cell NiCds and NiMhs) battery inputs. Since a full charged 5 cell pack is up around 7 Volts the receivers work fine at that voltage. Have been using 617's with Hitec digital and analog servos for quite a while, along with 6 Volt packs and have had no problems what so ever. Regulating voltage down to 5 volts for 617's is not necessary and you would also then lose the advantages of pushing 6 volts into the servos. That is, if the servos are rated for 6 volts... This info comes directly from Futaba. "All Futaba systems are designed to operate on either 4.8 volts (NiCD 4 cells) or 6 volts (Alkaline 4 cells OR NiCD 5 cells), except certain servos which are specifically labeled for use at one voltage or the other only. Some manufacturer's systems are not designed for and do not operate well on 6 volt, but most Futaba equipment handles the increased power input and provides increased performance, speed and torque."
Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 PM
drube

So you're saying that it's ok to run a 6v 2000 mAh Nimh for 6 digital servos? How many flights can you get out of one charge?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:05 PM
OliverJacob

I'd stay away from Nimh with your setup. And 7 Volts are fine for your servos, the rx may not like it.
They don't like high current draws, charging is very slow and if a cell fails, it will open up and you loose your plane. Nicd batteries will shorten out and you may have a chance to save your model with a lower battery voltage.

There are some great Life batteries available now, charge in 20 minutes, they are light and deliver enough current.

How many amps you will draw is hard to say, for scale flying you will be fine with a 5A regulator. If you fly agressive 3D maneuvers, get 8A or more.

This is as safe as it gets:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_System.html

two batteries and regulators. If one fails, the other takes over

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.