Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Alternative to on/off switches

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:17 PM
shultz21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to on/off switches

Ok, im new here, not to the hobby. my father and i are into giant scale warbirds and are curious to any alternatives to the on/off switch, so we could eliminate any possible switch failure. we have seen some individuals use a deans connector that was jumped, but i was curious to any other alternatives, especially ones that would allow checking of the battery. any input would be greatly appreciated. again this is to eliminate the switch because we have had some fail, and with such an investment in money and time, it really irks me to have a 10 dollar switch be the cause of a disaster.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are talking about slide switches - -
An electronics supply house Mouser, Digikey, etc. has various types of slide switches and quality levels.
When reliability is important, the classic solution was to use a multipole switch, with the poles wired in parallel.

Things get more complicated when you need to switch higher currents. Long ago, we actually hand made
a type of "knife switch" for use with higher currents. These days, the parts needed are not that easy to come by.
I suppose it's possible to use some of the high current connector contacts (Such as the Dean's you mentioned)
as a jumper.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 AM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are talking about a replacement for the switch that operates the receiver, I would offer a different suggestion. Use a Spektrum (or JR) powersafe receiver such as the AR12120. The battery (or batteries) are connected directly to the receiver with heavy gauge wire and connectors... there's no switch in between the two. The receiver is powered on and off by a separate "smart switch" that doesn't carry any current. If that switch fails or becomes disconnected, the receiver remains on. As far as dependability, it is the most robust system that has been produced from a power standpoint. Combine this with a pair of A123/LiFe packs with no regulators and it's the most dependable setup that I can think of.

KennyMac
Old 09-06-2013, 04:26 PM
shultz21

yes, i am referring to the slide switch, that receiver seems very viable, but im not ready to spend 250 for new receivers, just trying to see if there is a easier homemade solution if you will. thanks for the replies thus far.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/60/V_5dec11-24269.pdf
An example of a high current (10A) slide switch.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Yes you can use a jumper. I used such a system 60 years ago when there were no Deans connectors. I used an earphone plug.
A better idea is to use two switches in parallel. The odds that both would be bad at the same time is very low. Check them before each flight.Just turn one off at a time and see if the receiver stays powered.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have been using these for years without a single problem and, no, I have no connection with them, Just a satisfied user.
http://www.qualityrcproducts.com/prod_superrocker.html
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM
shultz21

thats interesting, i may have to look into that possibly for the smaller ones to test one out. thanks for the link, just a question, you have not had any issues with them? i see its a lifetime warranty, have you had to use that at all?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:44 AM
JL1

Shultz21, who are you asking?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:31 AM
shultz21

Originally Posted by JL1
Shultz21, who are you asking?
Sorry, you JL1 i am considering this switch as a trial run in a small top flight, and am curious to if you ever had any issues with yours?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:59 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is the MPI miracle switch , If the switch fails ,it fails i the ON position. Plus it provides battery redundancy ,
Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 AM
JL1

Shultz21, I have 8 of them in service, some for over 5 years, I have never had a problem caused by them. I have both the single and dual battery with the flashing LED versions.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:26 PM
shultz21

Thank you very much for the reply. I am going to try some in a small TF p47 i have and see how i like them. Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:48 AM
cattail
My Feedback: (11)

What about a switch that would be connected to the receiver to turn things on and off (like a smoke system or lights)..... what sort of switch is used then?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:32 PM
JL1

http://hansenhobbies.com/products/onboardacc/ers/
Old 09-24-2013, 03:41 PM
JL1

Oops forgot these guys, there are probably more.
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/picoswitch

http://www.emsjomar.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=6
Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 AM
dtyjdykufhuwen

Things get more complicated when you need to switch higher currents.

Last edited by dtyjdykufhuwen; 09-25-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:04 AM
JL1

After 30 + years in the electronics and power "business", I am really, really aware of the complications :-)
Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 AM
cattail

Okay.... I understand the concept now. Thanks for all the useful information!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not a god old toggle switch from radio shack? I use one for my smoke pump solid on and off connection.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:13 AM
cattail

With the good old toggle switch would there not have to be some sort of mechanical mechanism with a servo for it to turn on and off?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:42 PM
bikerbc

What is wrong with GR7 Racer's powersafe solution (post #3 )? that's what I use . If the switch fails the receiver stays powered and I like that idea . I am guessing the the biggest downside is that you would only be able to use the Spektrum system because it is a Spektrum Rx
Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In twenty years in the hobby I have never had a switch fail, Of course it is possible for anything to fail so on my more expensive planes I use two switches and two batteries.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:49 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Over the years I've gotten sick of the so-called switches we have in this hobby. I mean most of them are just plain old cheap.

Just yesterday a friend almost lost his 50cc Slick. He was using some Deans knock-offs to connect his batteries. He flys radical 3D, after he landed he went to check something else and found that one of his battery connector had pulled out and the other was partially out. The only thing that saved him was the dual battery setup, but if he had flown a little longer even that would not have been good enough.

Never understood why people would spends hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to set up a plane, then go cheap on something that I would consider the most important part of the plane, the power supply.

I mean the original Deans costs $3-4/set, and the knockoffs cost $1/set. Really???

When I used "regular" switches I made a habit of testing all of them with a load. I had several brand new, so called "good" switches have up to a 2 volt drop with a 4 amp load applied. And lets not even start with the popular servo connections with their 4 amp max rating (which I deem as worthless).

I am electronically inclined (read that as a tech) and I now employ techniques to install and test my entire wiring setup that the masses should not bother to try themselves. Oh, and now most of my fleet has been converted to electric, and all but 1 of my planes use a Dean plug as a power switch. Most are on the outside of the plane as I never leave a plane powered on until its ready to take flight. But I do have some hidden behind a hatch, but the hatch only gets bolted on when ready for flight.

Also, I found it best to load test batteries with a direct connection.

Yes, all of those switches mentioned above have their place. But I prefer k.i.s.s. and I find it really hard to beat the Deans setup for price and performance.

Last edited by wildnloose; 02-16-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

When my motors and esc’s became larger I found the deans plugs and their copies limited in high voltage/amperage applications. I have converted to EC style for all my connections. It makes it easy to gang batteries together. And the EC 5's don't heat up as bad as the deans under load. I find the deans work well for about 60 to 70 amps and after that start to get warm. Soldering large diameter wire to the tabs on a deans was a pain in the butt the EC plugs sized to the wire is much easier. The EC plugs in their polarized shell protect against plugging things in backwards just as good as the deans ever did and you can leave them out of the shell and use heat shrink to insulate then you have the right sized bullet connecters for the motor to esc connection. One style connector does it all.

Switches, I have used the high end switch from Electrodynamics for years without any problem. I don’t by the ones with the charge jack built in because I use LifePo 4 receiver packs and use an extended balance lead when I charge. I usually hide the switch inside the structure and use a push pull wire in an antenna tube to turn the power on and off. When these are pulled out/off a clip fits over the wire with a red flag, these have to be removed to allow the switch to be pushed in and turned on.

I too have spent a lot of years in the hobby and never had a slide switch fail. I have replaced them when I felt it was getting questionable.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 02-16-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.