Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

1978 Futaba Fp-4fn

Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Shane P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 Futaba Fp-4fn

Hi, i was given this radio that has not been used for a long time, when i plugged in a battery pack and turned the power on a small puff of smoke whiffed out from the board. the battery pack was from my Sanwa RD 6000, i have since been told that the polarity (positive earth) is different on the old Futaba transmitters, not sure about this though.
Can anyone tell me which component/s would most likely have popped, the power still turns on (needle moves to green) but alas no signal. i would really like to restore it to working condition.

Best regards

Shane.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:48 AM
pilotpete2

Unfortunately Airtronics used their old style servo connector for the battery connector on the RD6000 radios. The polarity on those connectors is reversed.
The real question here is whether the radio is legal to use today. What frequency is the radio on?
Pete
Old 09-21-2013, 08:00 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

With everyone migrating to 2.4 GHz you can get low-end 72 MHz transmitters for free. Put yours in the trash (recycle the NiCd pack) and ask at your club who has a 72 MHz transmitter they would give you. Or look on the for sale section on RC Universe, ebay or craigslist. Plenty for sale. You can probably get one for the cost of shipping.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by JPMacG View Post
With everyone migrating to 2.4 GHz you can get low-end 72 MHz transmitters for free. Put yours in the trash (recycle the NiCd pack) and ask at your club who has a 72 MHz transmitter they would give you. Or look on the for sale section on RC Universe, ebay or craigslist. Plenty for sale. You can probably get one for the cost of shipping.
Shane, I PM'd you about this radio yesterday, as I believe your radio is identical to my first radio when I was 14 in 1978

Would really love to see a picture if possible, and with respect to the above from JPMacG, if it is like my original radio I will buy it from you. (Or buy you a brand new DX6i with RX) as an exchange.

Its ok if it doesn't work. I'd just be happy to have it for sentimental reasons (I worked my fingers to the bone for 8 months to buy that radio)

I gave mine away to a neighbour's son 15 years ago with a balsa glider. I was happy to help him into the hobby but always regretted parting with it.

Anyway, if you are interested, please let me know. I am in Australia but will pay all shipping costs. (Where are you? in the USA?) I have two colleagues travelling to Dallas next month and they can collect (or ship to their hotel)

But the offer stands if you can post a picture and it is the same as my first radio you can have a new DX6i for it..

in 1980 this was my 2nd radio, after another 12 months of saving.. It still works 33 years later..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xULHFUN89qk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMFvPE_yhmo

Last edited by Rob2160; 09-21-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Futaba 4FN transmitter would not be legal to use unless it was on the 27Mhz frequency band. It would be a wide-band AM transmitter, and they are not legal to use if they are on 72 MHz, nor is any conversion available to make it legal to use. It's possible that the transmitter was hit with reverse polarity when you used the non-Futaba battery pack. We'd not know what component would have fried, but we'd also not be able to do anything about it since the transmitter is so old, that we'd not have any way to repair it. Support for it ended about 25 years ago.

We'd recommend that you give it an honored place on the trophy shelf and go to modern equipment.