Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Getting back in RC can any of my Transmitters be converted to 2.4

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Getting back in RC can any of my Transmitters be converted to 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:57 AM
ChristopherM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back in RC can any of my Transmitters be converted to 2.4

I have a Futaba Digital Proportional PCM Model # FP-T8SGA-P

Galaxital JSG8C from JR Propo Circus Hobbies

Century VII PCMN7C-4SMN JR Propo Circus Hobbies

All of the above have modules

And last a Futaba Conquest FP-T4NBF FM Digital Proportional with interchangeable crystals.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 02:08 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, some do call me an iconoclast.... Do you really have a good reason for changing to 2.4 GHz? 72 MHz still works fine and arguably is more reliable than 2.4 GHz. There are some good reasons why a person might want to change to 2.4 , but don't do it just because you feel you must have the latest greatest.

You can get a 2.4 GHz module for your Futaba. But it might be better to just buy a dedicated modern 2.4 GHz transmitter. They are reasonable in price. I don't know about your other transmitters.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:13 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

I have updated my Futaba T9CAP to 2.4ghz using a Spektrum DM8 module for Futaba. If your Futaba has a removable transmitter module then you can upgrade it. Costs about $110 bucks.....Here's a link to a site that carriers them but is out of stock right now. Wait around long enough and I'll be selling mine, lol, since I just bought a new Futaba 10CAP system......

http://www.gonitrohobbies.com/SPEKTR.../spmmsfut7.htm
Old 10-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I seriously doubt the OP will find one of the Spektrum modules for his radio, Futaba may still have one but I think both those manufacturers kind of gave up on that stuff for older radios?????

For the OP; consider the advice given by JPMacG except for the not changing to 2.4 part.... lol

Buy you a new radio in the format you prefer. They are all proprietary systems so there's no brand mixing. Some Chinese companies are making clones for both Spektrum and Futaba, some folks trust 'em I don't. IF any of the nifty new BNF or PnP stuff is something you are interested in, Horizon has by far and away the largest selection of models and your radio choice should be either Spektrum or the JR radios with the Spektrum RF deck; DSMX.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I seriously doubt the OP will find one of the Spektrum modules for his radio, Futaba may still have one but I think both those manufacturers kind of gave up on that stuff for older radios?????

For the OP; consider the advice given by JPMacG except for the not changing to 2.4 part.... lol

Buy you a new radio in the format you prefer. They are all proprietary systems so there's no brand mixing. Some Chinese companies are making clones for both Spektrum and Futaba, some folks trust 'em I don't. IF any of the nifty new BNF or PnP stuff is something you are interested in, Horizon has by far and away the largest selection of models and your radio choice should be either Spektrum or the JR radios with the Spektrum RF deck; DSMX.
I seen a couple of them on ebay and a brand new one on ServoCity website.........
Old 10-28-2013, 03:10 PM
ChristopherM

Thanks guys, I thought I could not use the 72MHz anymore, wow you just saved me a ton of money.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Well don't get your hopes up too high regarding 72 MHz. Those radios you listed are OLD! Circus hobbies hasn't been around for decades and you probably have the old, pre 1991 72 MHz frequencies in those radios ..... making them wide band radios. Both the frequencies and the radios themselves are no longer legal if that is the case. You can post the frequencies here and someone can tell you if they are narrow band frequencies which would be legal or wide band which would not be legal.

I'd just buy a new radio! Even the cheapest radios out there today will probably be more reliable than those old radios. I'm not insulting your equipment, just stating reality. I have boxes full of those old museum pieces myself and it pains me just seeing them collecting dust. But over the years they paid for themselves many times over so they deserve a rest!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:03 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Very good point.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:16 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old radios = old batteries and likely some old wiring issues.
- Your old radios are risky to use -unless thoroughly checked out and fitted with new batts - ditto for the old rxs these drift like a ship at sea.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 PM
ChristopherM

My two 4 channel Futaba Conquest have a sticker on the back that reads: narrow 20KHz 1991. They are 72.090 (15) and 72.170 (19) with new batteries I should be ok.

My Century VII is 72.870 (54) It has a module NET-J72P
My Galaxy is 72.910 (56) it has a module NET-J72P
My Futaba is 72.790 (50) it has an RF check date of Jan 1991 so I think new batteries in this one and I should be good.

What about the other two?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:21 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I believe any PCM radio came out as narrow-band. Most radios with a '91 date should be narrow-band. Some may have a "Gold Sticker" indicating narrow-banded. With the JR I think there was a "G" model that meant it is narrow-band;the "G" should be on the transmitter face and the receiver.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Steve Westphal

Try an Anylink....$24.99 I have one on my Old Futaba and it works great. Even if you have to buy an adaptor cord....they are only 3 or 4 bucks!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:07 PM
danilo-2
My Feedback: (1)

Think FrSky :-) Go to Aloft hobbies (north american distributor) Good guys actually
http://www.alofthobbies.com/
And take a good and Careful look, ask them any and all questions on the FrSky add on Tx modules.
Very cheap ~22$, Very good stuff .. up to and past 3km range has been claimed by owners.
Full telemetry capable. Outstanding stuff by anyone's yardstick.
Turns ..ANY.. tx into state of the art 2.4 either by a snap in module.
Or as a solder in module if the tx preceeds the removable module designs.
Only Futaba 2.4ghz is it's technological equal.. true enough.

Last edited by danilo-2; 11-01-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 PM
ChuckA

Radios that old frequently have many other problems other than frequency conflicts. It's almost ALWAYS cheaper to do it right the frist time. Radios are so cheap now that one crashed model costs more that a new radio. Having said that, I converted all my Evo transmitters to 2.4 using XPS because Multiplex no longer sells the Evo in the US and I am not willing to go back to the strange programings of the Asian radios. I converted my Evos sevem years ago and have never had any glitches or problems of any kind. Conversion took 10 minutes after I spent 30 minutes studying the instructions. XPS does offer a conversion for most old transmitters and Radio South can handle the conversion if you don't feel like doing it your south. If I were going to put an old transmitter back in service, I would send it to Radio South for a complete checkout even if I didn't convert it to 2.4
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Dang, while I understand the need to be frugal in some cases I've never understood the guys who will spend thousands of dollars on a model then buy orange rx's and cheapy batteries for the thing.....

While you CAN possibly convert that old radio, there is more to the system than just the frequency and such a converstion will not add any of the other benefits of the new radios like much more capable programming, MUCH faster response from the model to control inputs on the tx because they just don't have the processors or other hardware necessary. It's sort of like going from dialup (you remember don't you, it's about the same age as your radio and about that common anymore) Internet access to Broadband. The radios can transmit so much information so much faster that unless you try one you won't believe the difference.

There is an old axiom in the RC community; "Buy as much radio as you can afford." It'll be more fun 'cause it's less frustrating, you'll have a much more "connected" feel with the model and it'll save you money in the long run by having fewer radios to buy along the way as you upgrade. Not going to upgrade? LOTS of us said that too.....

Last edited by Zeeb; 11-03-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yup as suggested in several responses, if you're at all serious about the hobby BUY A NEW RADIO!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Steve Westphal

I still have a reliable 72 Futaba with flite packs. I am looking at the Tactic 650.............any comments on it?