Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Anyone using Tactic radios for big planes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:34 AM
funnotcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Tactic radios for big planes?

Just got back into hobby after 10 yr hiatus. Been flying 40 & 60 size planes with my OLD Futabas but needed more channels for my new project 89" Super Decathlon. Just got a Tactic TTX 650 - with a coupon - I got it & 2 recievers for $119.00 including shipping! As poor as I am I could not pass it up. I am building (& modifying) a Dynaflight Super Decathlon with lots of bells & whistles. Anybody out there flying a BIG plane with this radio? I am putting a lot of time & effort this plane.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:18 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am going to listen in as I am interested to see who responds. I have only read about this radio in the context of smaller planes but don't see any reason it could not be used with larger planes.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by funnotcrazy
Just got back into hobby after 10 yr hiatus. Been flying 40 & 60 size planes with my OLD Futabas but needed more channels for my new project 89" Super Decathlon. Just got a Tactic TTX 650 - with a coupon - I got it & 2 recievers for $119.00 including shipping! As poor as I am I could not pass it up. I am building (& modifying) a Dynaflight Super Decathlon with lots of bells & whistles. Anybody out there flying a BIG plane with this radio? I am putting a lot of time & effort this plane.
First, I am NOT much of being a stickler. If it works it is OK to me. It is only 6 channel so that pretty well limits some of those bells and whistles. I have two of them plus a number of receivers. One is being used to buddy cord a friend. BUT THERE AIN'T NO STINKIN' CORD! That point is kind of problem as it is easy to have to go through the set-up sometimes when I mess up the set-up. I am good at messing up programming stuff. My student friend can do it with his eyes closed. He is doing well on his flying.
I learned RC way back when there was no programming. For me and my flying, I do not need programming. However the Tatic 650 is rather easy to set up. I like it fine, but so do I like my other radios.
One thing that is very different is the battery pack set-up. It uses 4 alkaline AA for TX battery. I stopped at a home supply, bought one of those NMIH Energizer battery chargers for AA batts plus some NMIH cells. Relatively inexpensive. You can keep things working very well. I would never use alkalines in any RC.

I fly a big rendition of a 4-Star some 70" wingspan sport model and everything is working fine. I will be using my two for sport flying and such. These airplanes do not need more than 6 channels.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:01 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the Tactic deal from Tower Hobbies with two receivers but had poor results with it. I could position the plane 100 meters from our concrete house and have no control of it. The receivers don't appear to be able to handle multi-path at all. Got a Spektrum system and no problems at all on three planes I have with Spectrum AR610 receivers in. The Spektrum stuff will cost you about 60 bucks more for the same number of receivers but well worth it for reliability. The Tactic stuff is fine for park flyers that are kept in close but I would never risk a larger plane with them.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

It's fine for about anything, but as with all the systems. You need the full range receivers, if you intend to fly full range. I've used it in a 60 size sport witoput any problems. and in about a dozen indoor models, no issues..
Old 12-31-2013, 12:53 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Tactic has recently released a dual-antenna receiver (TR625) that should prove more robust for installing in larger aircraft:

http://www.tacticrc.com/receivers/index.html

They specify that it is suitable for large glow and gasoline-powered aircraft.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 PM
BoiseBee
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the link. Just bought tx650 and two free 624 rxs. I'll get the 625 two antenna for glow models (those dang planes get far away, fast). I'll also use the tx650 for my flyzone micros.