Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

12FG Tx not communicating with PCMG3 RECEIVER

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 12FG Tx not communicating with PCMG3 RECEIVER

I purchased a used 12FG transmitter with PCMG3 receiver and FP-R148DP receiver. The FP-R148DP receiver is working OK. I can't get the Tx to talk to the PCM G3 receiver. After purchasing I found out from the original owner he never had the PCM G3 receiver working either. He also said he sent the radio in numerous times for unspecified problems. The Tx information screen says Product ID: 00303032; Version: 1.6 area America.

I have tried numerous times on Ch25 & Ch26 using the method in the book and no success. I have rapped the receiver antenna around the extended Tx antenna with no success.

Do you have any suggestions. Not sure if I have done the frequency change correctly but think I have.

Sid

303-757-7019
Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure the tranny is set for pcm G3 in the frequency select screen. And there is a screen where you enter the receivers ID number. All thsi has to be done before the receiver will respond. And frequency of course.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:32 PM
sidgates

Steve,
Thank you for the reply. I have it set for PCM G3. I had difficulty getting it set but that is where it is now. I set the ID with no success so went back and set it again. Since the original owner never had it working it may be a bad receiver but I didn't find this out until after the purchase.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:48 PM
sidgates

I called Futaba service today and the only suggestion I got was send it in for repair. I did some more trouble shooting myself and was surprised to find that the receiver is not drawing any current at all. I traced the plus voltage through a few components found the voltage steps down to 4.13 and then to 2.99 volts after it goes through what seems to be a regulator. Without schematics and component overlays that is about as far as I can go.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Four Stroker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sid the most common reason for not being able to set the frequency in a G3 is the order of events. If you have the ID of the receiver and G3 set in the TX, you then go to frequency select screen and start the process. The TX makes strange beeps. THEN AND ONLY THEN you turn on the receiver. Range was never a problem for me - a foot away is fine with antenna down.

The receiver goes to 73.010 MHz for about 1 second when you first turn it on and waits for a change of frequency command. After that it times out and goes to the stored freq. which you may not know !

It's a 3 volt receiver circuit - and output pulse.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM
sidgates

Four Stroker - Your reply is new information. I will try your method sometime this afternoon. I am still puzzled why I can not detect any current drain. My digital meter reads to 100ua so maybe the current drain is lower than that until receiver is on the desired frequency. Thanks

Sid
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Four Stroker

Sid;

I just plugged a batt. into one of my old G3's. It draws 41 milliamps.

Try a different servo slot. Someone may have popped the bus with a mongo servo or short.

Last edited by Four Stroker; 01-05-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM
sidgates

Good idea,will check soon.
sid
Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 PM
sidgates

Four Stroker,
Using you method I was able to get the receiver working for a short time. When it was working it drew about 40ma and then "0" ma when dead. Not sure what is going on yet but will try a different battery next.

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Four Stroker

Sid;

It sounds like one of those dreaded intermittant connections since it goes to 0. Look at your connections first. If no luck, open the RX and look at the connection of the power/connector bus to the main board. Look for burnt stuff !
Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM
sidgates

Tried a different battery pack and the receiver is working again. Will do some more testing.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:04 PM
sidgates

I have figured out my trouble shooting introduced problems that were not related to the model equipment. First I was using a relatively new digital meter to measure receiver current. I found out the current function of this meter is not working. I have used it for voltage readings successfully but apparently never used the current function before. Next I tried my old standby Simpson and it has an intermittent connector for the plus meter lead. I was using the Simpson when I first got the receiver working but then the current reading went to zero when the lead was moved slightly plugged into the intermittent connector.

I feel all this might have been avoided if Futaba had been as helpful as Four Stroke was. If they had walked me through the freq. change I would never have hooked up the current meter trying to find the problem. Of course I wouldn't have sorted out my meter problems yet.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM
sidgates

Default Data Reset?

Does anyone know of a way to reset the entire 12FG transmitter to original defaults? I tried the Data reset commands shown in the manual and I still have a mix from elevator to aileron.

MOVED THIS POST

Last edited by sidgates; 01-10-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: MOVED