Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Fataba 8UAF setup Question

Old 02-02-2014, 06:45 AM
Easy Flier
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fataba 8UAF setup Question

I have a Fataba 8UAF 72mhz radio and trying to set up flaps with 4 servos.This is on a Corsair- see attached file. The Ails work ,but just can't figure out the flaps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1964567  
Old 02-02-2014, 07:44 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am an 8U person, but you need to be more specific in your question. I do not understand what you are asking.

Les
Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Easy Flier

Originally Posted by LesUyeda
I am an 8U person, but you need to be more specific in your question. I do not understand what you are asking.

Les
See pic above. I have 2 servos on each flap(which is 2 sections). How do I make them go to say the airbrake or some 3 position switch, which would give1/ no flaps;2 50% flaps; 3/full flaps?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

I'm having a great deal of difficulty trying to relate my book to the radio to the instructions (an ageing memory problem), so check out this

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-8u.html

"Airplane Programming, #8" That may answer your questions. I would also strongly recommend you get a copy of a softback by Don Edberg ":Getting The Most Out of Futaba's 8-Channel Radio Control Systems".

It is worth it's weight in gold.

Les
Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Easy Flier

This is what Fataba support sent me ,but doesn't work. Does it make sense to you??

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Go to an open p-mix and make it active, master is FLP, slave is FLP, the rates are -100% on both sides, link is off, OFST is 0% and the switch does not matter and position is NULL.

Go to an open p-mix and make it active, master is CH7, slave is CH7, the rates are -100% on both sides, link is off, OFST is 0% and the switch does not matter and position is NULL.

Go to an open p-mix and make it active, master is FLP, slave is CH7, the rate is +25%, link is off and the switch doesn't matter position is NULL.

Go to an open p-mix and make it active, master is OFS, slave is FLP, the rate is +25%, link is on and the switch is SW-G CENTER.

Go to an open p-mix and make it active, master is OFS, slave is FLP, the rate is +50%, link is on and the switch is SW-G DOWN.

Go back to p-mix 3 and change link from "off" to "on".

You may have to adjust the rates to get the amount of throw you want.

I'm gonna try that #8 one,already had it pulled up.

Thanks
JT
Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

If computers were easy, everyone would have one??:-)))))))))))))

Futaba made great radios, and I would not trade my 8U for anything else made, but the documentation/instructions were not easy to follow unless you were a computer geek.

I would reiterate my recommendation above on Edberg's book.

Les
Old 02-05-2014, 11:29 AM
hellcat 1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two warbirds and am using switch g to operate the flaps with an 8U. I only use three p-mixes. One to disable the channel 6 or flap knob and two to get the flaps to position where i want. The first p-mix is turned on , FLP to FLP, the rate is -100 both sides, you have to rotate the knob to each side to do this, link is on, OFST is 0, make any sw null. that disables the knob. The next p-mix is OFST to FLP rate is set at +50 to start with. Select switch g, up. I use this to pull the flaps all the way up. You will have to adjust the rate later to get the desired amount of up. The next p-mix is OFST to FLP, the rate is -50 at first. Select switch g down. I don't connect the flap linkage up until I have programed this in.Then center your flap servo and hook the linkage up with the flaps in the desired half flap position with switch g in the middle. Then adjust the rates in the last two p-mixes to get full up flaps and the position you want for full down. Hellcat 1
Old 02-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Easy Flier

Originally Posted by hellcat 1
I have two warbirds and am using switch g to operate the flaps with an 8U. I only use three p-mixes. One to disable the channel 6 or flap knob and two to get the flaps to position where i want. The first p-mix is turned on , FLP to FLP, the rate is -100 both sides, you have to rotate the knob to each side to do this, link is on, OFST is 0, make any sw null. that disables the knob. The next p-mix is OFST to FLP rate is set at +50 to start with. Select switch g, up. I use this to pull the flaps all the way up. You will have to adjust the rate later to get the desired amount of up. The next p-mix is OFST to FLP, the rate is -50 at first. Select switch g down. I don't connect the flap linkage up until I have programed this in.Then center your flap servo and hook the linkage up with the flaps in the desired half flap position with switch g in the middle. Then adjust the rates in the last two p-mixes to get full up flaps and the position you want for full down. Hellcat 1
Thanks,
I set mine up but i didn't get a screen on the 1st premix that had Link??? I think maybe i will reset and start over.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:39 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"I think maybe i will reset and start over."

And maybe go do something else for a while to clear out your RAM , and allow a clean slate????

Les
Old 02-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This FAQ will help. Just use the parts of it that apply:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-8u-q177.html

It does talk about programming for separate flap servos and aileron servos. For the two flap servos in the same wing, either use a "Y" harness or the Servo Synchronizer:

FUTM4155 MSA10 SERVO SYNCHRONIZER US$89.99 (MSRP)
Old 02-06-2014, 11:09 AM
hellcat 1

Go to this link to disable a knob on an 8U. It says the same thing that I said. I have the book by Don Edberg on programming an 8U and it doesn't tell you how to set up the p-mixes to get flaps to work on a 3 position switch. I found out by experimentation. If you have trouble with one flap going one way and the other side going the other, just sub a Hitech servo on one side and use a y harness. They go the opposite from futaba.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-8u-q52.html
Old 02-07-2014, 12:15 PM
hellcat 1

Easy flier, one thing I found out is that if I turn the link off in the p-mix to disable the knob , then the link on off menu appears in the two p-mixes that I use to offset the flaps to the proper position. With it on the link function does not appear. . Check and see if you have a p-mix with the flaps as master in it. I think that will stop the link from showing up in the one you are trying to disable the knob with.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Easy Flier

OK I got them moving, but the outboard set doesn't move as far as the inboard set. I was told I might need to adjust the ATV. What would that mean???
Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 PM
hellcat 1

If you have the inboard and outboard servos on a y harness and they aren't moving the same amount, you need to check that the arms are in alignment and that the small number near the servo screw on the arm is the same that you have your linkage attached to. The numbers are 1-4 on a 4 armed servo and 1-6 on a six armed servo. If you are just using a two armed servo it doesn't matter. The arms are offset on the multi armed servo and it will give you a small amount of differential . You can't adjust anything in the transmitter to make up the difference. If one side isn't moving as much as the other you can adjust the offset p-mix to compensate for that. You have to adjust one positive or one negative number to get the same on both sides.I just said 50 so you wouldn't stall a servo. You have to adjust that figure once you have the 1/2 flap position mechanically matched up with switch G in the middle. You can try different servos or maybe move one hole in or out on one horn or the other to match them up. It might be a problem with the hinging or with the throws. All servos do not move exactly the same amount. that is why they have match boxes or use digital servos. Hope this helps. Sam
Old 02-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Easy Flier

My friend set them up on his radio(not a Fataba) and they work. He sent a video if I can get it to post. I just got to figure out this Fataba radio.
http://youtu.be/tdq9eqb7NS4
Old 02-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Easy Flier

Well they were working (moving), tried again to adjust throw now nothing.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:52 PM
hellcat 1

You can't disable both channel 6 and channel 7 knobs with only 5 mixers, just one. I would hook up the wing and with a clean slate on the p-mixes. reset defaults. If you have everything else set up I would experiment with a unused model in your menu. Set both channel 6 and 7 knobs in the center, you should be able to see when you have it centered as the flap will start going the opposite direction. Hook up your flaps one side to 6 and one side to 7. If you have mechanically set your flaps they should be in the position you desire for half flaps. Set up p-mix 1 OFS to FLP step on to SW G select UP. Move switch G up. Step back to the percentage of throw. start selecting a percentage and see if your flap moves up or down. Go + or - to get it to move the direction you want. Put in enough throw to pull the flap all the way up. Leave the link off. Select p-mix 2 OFS to FLP step on to SW G select DWN. Move switch G down. go back to the percentage of throw. Put the opposite sign from p-mix1 and keep putting more percentage it in to get the flaps to move to the full down position you want. Leave the link off.You should now have set up one side of flaps. Now select p-mix 3. Select OFS to Channel 7 and repeat what you did for p-mix 1 except you will have to change the sign of percentage to get that side to move in the proper direction to get the flaps on that side to go up. After you have that right ,select p-mix 4 Select OFS To Channel 7 and repeat what you did for p-mix 2, again changing the sign of percentage to get that flap to go down. You only have one p-mix left and since you can't disable both knobs, I would try to immobilize the knobs by wedging something between them and the face to keep them from turning. Sam